Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

One year on...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Herminator

One year on...

Post by Herminator » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Well in two days time I'll have had my Z4 for a whole year :o time flys...

I've bought plenty of bits for my Z over the year and I still have an expensive list of things I'd love to do :roll:

I've had some very nice drives in the Z4. I've never had a car in the past that I'd simply go out in and drive for the fun of it. Which was the aim of the Z4, something reliable enough for the daily commute, yet fun enough to put a smile on my face any time I wanted. I never even liked washing my other cars but I hate leaving the Z4 more than a week without a wash. It's a great chance to study the design of a masterpiece, but also to spot all the paint blemishes that drive you nuts :headbang:

I still love my car but it went in for a service on Monday and I had a 1 series diesel for the day... I was shocked how much I liked the 1 series... it was only a 118d so could have done with a bit more power, but it looked good in white and was nice and chuckable, certainly more fun in the city. The seats were nice and supportive whilst being soft and comfy on my boney arse :oops: Plus it doesn't have the usual small hatchback issue of FWD which I was eager to move away from previously.
Looking at the economy figures of the 2007- 120d, I'm very tempted :headbang:

When I was looking at cars last year, fuel prices were very different, diesel was 12-14p more per litre than petrol, which pretty much wiped out any mpg savings when comparing the cars that interested me, which were mainly 330's (until the Z4 grabbed my attention). Diesel and petrol are almost the same price now, with V-Power seemingly a little further away from regular petrol than it used to be (which is what I fill the Z with) I could make considerable savings in running costs by changing to the right car.

It's not like it's free to change cars though. I'd have to get a very good offer for my Z4 and good finance rates on any new car, my current finance is really good as it is but it wouldn't stretch to a 2007 1 Series.
It's still not as good looking as a Z4, or as fast, but I do wonder what fun could be had on a country road :driving:

I think I'm going to spend the next couple weeks thinking of what to do next. But whatever it is, a Z4MC is definetly in my future plans as a long term toy :evil: and I don't want a cheap boring banger for the daily commute :fuelfire:
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

bigshurv

Re: One year on...

Post by bigshurv » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 am

Sounds like you're really tempted. Don't like the 1 series personally, it's a bit f'ugly IMO. It really depends upon what you want from your car,only you will know the answer to that question.Don't do anything rash will you...........................

daviddi

Post by daviddi » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:01 am

Plenty of time for a 1 series when you get older, enjoy the fun now !!!!!!!! :driving: :roll:

senwar

Post by senwar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:05 am

The 1 series is a very good drive, but as you say, nothing like the Z.

I do really like the coupe, and was tempted by it myself. The economy is far superior (and certainly was to my M).

Good luck in your decision - selling the Z has been one of the hardest decisions of my life. Its not easy to let these buggers go!

easty027

Post by easty027 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:23 am

Good luck with the 1 series, providing you like to blend in with all the other cars out there, there are too many of them about to feel special.

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:24 am

If you are going to buy a 1-series, get the 120d M Sport, not Sport. M Sport has better front and rear sport bumpers. I fancy it as a second car too. :)
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:31 am

Thats the problem, I look at my Z4 and smile every time. Whilst I like the 1 series' somewhat akward looks, it's never going to be as good as the Z4.

It's a case of increase my finanace by a few £k but save well over £1k a year on running costs and the increased value of the car will offset the finance somewhat. But it would be simpler to keep my current car and not go messing with money.

If I was sensible I'd sell the Z4 and get a cheaper Seat Leon TDi. But I'm not sensible (otherwise I wouldn't have the Z :roll: ) and I'm not ready to go back to FWD understeer :fuelfire:
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:47 am

No roadster owners are sensible. Sensible people drive boring saloon or hatchbatch (non-sport models). :D
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

Robb

Post by Robb » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:15 am

I had a 1-series a few years back which was a 120i petrol, handling was superb on the twisty roads but I never really fell in love with it.
The main problems I found with it were the appalling seats, I had the SE spec and they offered no support what so ever, and were difficult to adjust to a comfortable position.
The stereo was by far the worst iv ever heard in a car, even my pug 106 first car had a better stereo as standard.
The fuel economy was no where near the quoted figures and I struggled to get near 30mpg.
Most annoying of all tho was the build quality really let it down, you get the feeling its built down to a price rather than up to a spec. I always got the feeling corners were cut to make it feel like it’s the bottom end of the bmw market.
If you are serious about it then get yourself over to babybmw.net and research it properly, the 123d is meant to be a gem of an engine and mated to the coupe shape in m-sport spec would be the pick of the bunch imo.

outrun

Post by outrun » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:30 am

Yeh but would also be £25K which is a lot for a 1 series. We just bought one about 3 weeks ago for my wife. 116i sport in bluewater with black sport interior, multi wheel etc. It has that Efficient Dynamics malarky which cuts the engine when you stop in neutral. It's a good drive, and at £249 a month brand new, it's cheap to run. Doing about 40mpg so far which is nice, she does about 500 miles a month right now (new baby, nowhere to go!) so that's one tank a month. Can't get much cheaper than that.

The M Sport is nicer to look at but you pay quite a lot extra for the different bumpers and a lot of M badges - and we all know what we think of M badges that are not stuck to Ms!

Had a good look at a 118d sport for her but couldn't justify the extra cost. It's only useful if you do the miles or have a high speed commute where the torque is nice for overtaking.

Oh yeh, don't buy the base model, the spec sucks. The sport has a much improved interior with some really nice seats, the SE has parking sensors and automatic air con instead of manual. Anyway, if you can, wait to August and dig up a pre-reg 09 plate and you'll get a strong deal.
2007 z4mc carbon black - gone but not forgotten. The guy I sold to still has it, maybe one day I will buy it back.
Now - Maserati Gransport with many mods. Sounds incredible.

Tref

Post by Tref » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:37 am

Herminator wrote:Thats the problem, I look at my Z4 and smile every time. Whilst I like the 1 series' somewhat akward looks, it's never going to be as good as the Z4.

It's a case of increase my finanace by a few £k but save well over £1k a year on running costs and the increased value of the car will offset the finance somewhat. But it would be simpler to keep my current car and not go messing with money.

If I was sensible I'd sell the Z4 and get a cheaper Seat Leon TDi. But I'm not sensible (otherwise I wouldn't have the Z :roll: ) and I'm not ready to go back to FWD understeer :fuelfire:
So you'd borrow more and 'save' £1k a year. But you're getting more than £2k further into debt? I'm sorry, I just don't understand this whole borrow more and more culture. Sure, borrow money to buy a car, but why keep 'topping it up'? You have a car you love.

Every time you see a Z4 on the road you will sigh. Every time you hear the diesel clatter you will cringe. Every time you pull out to overtake, get halfway past, run out of revs, need to change gear, you will nearly die and wish you had a free revving petrol engine.

All IMHO.
Come to Daddy: 2004 TVR T350 Targa
Current stable: 2006 Golf GTi, 2007 Fiat Panda 100HP
Previous: 2004 Z4 3.0 Manual in Toledo Blue, 2004 TVR T350 Targa, 1995 TVR Chimaera

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:52 am

you've only had the car a year and thinking of changing :o

must admit to liking the 1 series coupe's though. had a test drive myself once in a 118d and was impressed but didnt really push it...

if you sell your z, Ill swap your front lights :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Robb

Post by Robb » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:10 am

Actually... what the hell are you thinking, who the hell in their right mind would consider changing a 3.0 roadster for a diesel hatchback?

Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done........

hughmungus

Post by hughmungus » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:34 am

When I bought My Z back in April, I to was tempted by what I thought was a nice 123d 1 series (twin turbo ! ), and nearly had that instead.

But when I took my very sensible and lovely wife for the " ok you can have it if I can have a new 3 pce suite" visit to the dealers, she took one look and shouted out to the salesman "it looks like a boot", which is when I noticed my black z4 parked nearby and bought it instead without question.

Not regretted it for a second, I did sneak back and have a drive of the 123d which was as good if not better than a Golf gti, but nothing like the z4 drive I now enjoy on a daily basis.

:driving:
Z4 Sapphire Black 2.0 M Sport ,Z4 Sapphire Black 2.5 Si :thumbsup:

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:48 am

Profound statement;
Why is it the things in life that put a smile on your face are hard to justify :D

Anyway would I want the 1 series, I liked it when I drove it, but did it put a smile on my face - no, did it have any wow factor - no, would I get bored of it quickly - yes, can you pose in it - no, does my wife struggle to get in and out of it, in a skirt - no :thumbsdown: does it have any "cool" factor - no

But it is a sensible car
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional