Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cupholders!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Robbo82

Cupholders!

Post by Robbo82 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Legend !!! Will be watching and waiting! Thanks so much :)

SmithyAtSea

Cupholders!

Post by SmithyAtSea » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Jfgoldfish wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:36 pm
SmithyAtSea wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:49 pm Cheers mate that would be great I appreciate that.
So, I have one left from the last batch I printed.
I can send it over to you if you like.

Or if you would prefer to wait for me to print more (both sides), I will send this one to Robbo. I think it is a drivers side.

That would be amazing if I can just get the drivers one for now mate, that’s the priority one anyway :rofl:
2007 E85 | 3.0si Sport | Dream Red M Sport Interior | M Sport Suspension | M Sport Steering Wheel | OEM Xenon Headlights | Silver Grey

Tamir

Cupholders!

Post by Tamir » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:45 pm

Sounds like we're all gonna buy some new cupholders!!!!! :happyclap:
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i M54B30
BLACK

Jameszy

Cupholders!

Post by Jameszy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:55 pm

Jfgoldfish wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:49 pm
Robbo82 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:09 pm Be amazing if you are and i would be keen or if you have plans
There is a good design available on thingiverse if you do decide to get a work colleague to print for you.
They should really be printed in ABS so make sure your chap is capable of doing that :thumbsup: . I cant see PLA lasting too long.

Otherwise, I will be getting some more black ABS soon. It looks like theses are in popular demand so I should print some more!
I am currently able to print:
cup holder arms
wheel arch (headlight) cover clips
transmission tunnel screw covers
behind seat storage compartment repair clips

I will let you know when my filament arrives. :thumbsup:
Hi there - do you still have this plastic arm?

I have managed to get as far as drilling the hole and all to remove the previous (broken arm), but can't find a replacement anywhere.

Would be very grateful for your help if you have one to spare!

Jfgoldfish

Cupholders!

Post by Jfgoldfish » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:07 pm

Jameszy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:55 pm Hi there - do you still have this plastic arm?
The one I have knocking around is going to smithyatsea. He was first inline for that one :thumbsup:

I will be printing more soon and will pop a post on here when they are ready.

In the meantime it would be worthwhile for you to borrow or buy a set of needle files. The 3d printed part often needs a little cleaning up with a file to make sure it all works properly.
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

Jameszy

Cupholders!

Post by Jameszy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:12 pm

Jfgoldfish wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:07 pm
Jameszy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:55 pm Hi there - do you still have this plastic arm?
The one I have knocking around is going to smithyatsea. He was first inline for that one :thumbsup:

I will be printing more soon and will pop a post on here when they are ready.

In the meantime it would be worthwhile for you to borrow or buy a set of needle files. The 3d printed part often needs a little cleaning up with a file to make sure it all works properly.
Thanks my man, people like you make this forum great.

Will get some needle files in to be prepped!

Should mention that it is the right hand (drivers side) cup holder that’s broken. Can’t wait to have it fixed (been putting it off for a year)!

Z4C_er

Cupholders!

Post by Z4C_er » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:46 am

I have a CAD model that I created from scratch and beefed up the area around the hinge (where it fails) and it works quite well. If anyone wants it they can PM me (I'll try and dig it up now).
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Jfgoldfish

Cupholders!

Post by Jfgoldfish » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:15 pm

Update:
Filament has arrived.
I will start printing tomorrow.

Smithyatsea, I held off posting the single arm (partly due to having a very busy week!). I will send you a couple for each side so you don't end up paying for postage twice :thumbsup:
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

Umfaan

Cupholders!

Post by Umfaan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi .....i could do with a Drivers side Arm .....Please let me know details .

Jfgoldfish

Cupholders!

Post by Jfgoldfish » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:14 pm

Hello all,
First of all, I must say sorry for the delay in getting these printed.

The story goes... I broke my 3d printed cup holder arm again!
So I didn't want to send out delicate parts that were prone to failure. I went back to the drawing board and have added some extra meat to the area that kept failing.
I now have a design that is holding up nicely (as long as I don't kick it when getting out the car again!)

I am now running a whole load off the printer. Both left and right arms.

I will be sending out the first lot tomorrow.

Sorry again for the delay. :thumbsup:
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

Stotts

Cupholders!

Post by Stotts » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:14 am

3D printing something that fits in the same space and serves the same purpose would probably be possible but 3D printing a replica of the BMW one would be near impossible on a hobby machine.

I am picturing a drawer type thing that pulls out manually with some sort of arm similar to the original one. That might work.

3D printing a cup holder that fits on the side of the transmission tunnel is much easier. That's what I designed and used whilst I fixed my driver's side cup holder.

Morning. I’m new to the site. Would it be possible to make a transmission tunnel cup holder? Happy to pay. What does it look like? My drivers cup is broken as you4s was.

Stotts
E86 3.0 M-Sport with lots of twiddly bits causing a decreasing bank account and my wife’s Audi A4 cabriolet to have extra work done so she keeps up.

mholt1995

Cupholders!

Post by mholt1995 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:48 pm

Jfgoldfish wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:14 pm Hello all,
First of all, I must say sorry for the delay in getting these printed.

The story goes... I broke my 3d printed cup holder arm again!
So I didn't want to send out delicate parts that were prone to failure. I went back to the drawing board and have added some extra meat to the area that kept failing.
I now have a design that is holding up nicely (as long as I don't kick it when getting out the car again!)

I am now running a whole load off the printer. Both left and right arms.

I will be sending out the first lot tomorrow.

Sorry again for the delay. :thumbsup:
Apologies for bumping an old thread but figured it's better etiquette than making a new one!

I fancied having a go at fixing a broken cupholder and lo and behold, the issue is a snapped arm.

Have you printed any more of these replacement arms or do you plan to? I'm in two minds as whether to fix it and sell as fixed or just not bother and either sell it as parts or just bin it. Third option is to get a whole assembly for about £15 on Aliexpress and just replace the whole assembly before listing it as fully working/refurbished
2010 E89 30i Deep Sea Blue
Ex- 2010 E89 35i Space Grey (LD10 AFN)
Ex- 2003 E85 25i Sterling Grey (YK03 DUL)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cupholders!

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:17 pm

You could always try sending Jfgoldfish a PM on the off-chance. Another forum member printed some years ago so a PM to "Bufort" might be worth a try too.

I bought a used pair years ago and replaced my drivers' side one in 2022 just before Zedfest and binned the old one because the arm had snapped. Then there was a guy at Zedfest who was giving away 3D printed arms. :( But he wasn't there last year or I would have got a couple of spares.

Failing that Aliexpress looks like your best option!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black