Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

"M" Specific discussion
Martyn

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by Martyn » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:12 am

I'm still working on the software/tool inbetween everything else I have on.

Evolve tunes are VIN and read locked.

bestgun

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by bestgun » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:34 am

Yes it’s VIN coded so will be locked. Can’t blame them for doing that tbh.

Ed Doe

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:55 am

Martyn wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:12 am I'm still working on the software/tool inbetween everything else I have on.

Evolve tunes are VIN and read locked.
So that aswers my question as to getting a DME read eh Martyn!!!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

TomK

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by TomK » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:02 pm

AlexRL wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:24 am
Jon2215 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:28 pm When went down the Alpha N route with mine I had Aaron from Areeves in Kings Lynn carry out the mapping and set up.
Great bloke,highly respected and recommended.
Ah yes, I seem to recall seeing they did this - how much do they charge for the tune?

I think my preference would still be to use the EcuWorx tool, as I could install/remove the airbox myself, save the trip and cost.
I think you're confusing the ecuworx tool and an alpha-n map. You will still need a map separately to using the tool, it is just used to adjust dme parameters. Martyn can confirm though.
As an aside it's perfectly fine to drive the car with the csl box on without a map, as the car will revert to a basic 'alpha-n' map when the maf is removed. So you can install it yourself and drive to someone for the map without any worries should you need to.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

AlexRL

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by AlexRL » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:19 pm

TomK wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:02 pm
AlexRL wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:24 am
Jon2215 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:28 pm When went down the Alpha N route with mine I had Aaron from Areeves in Kings Lynn carry out the mapping and set up.
Great bloke,highly respected and recommended.
Ah yes, I seem to recall seeing they did this - how much do they charge for the tune?

I think my preference would still be to use the EcuWorx tool, as I could install/remove the airbox myself, save the trip and cost.
I think you're confusing the ecuworx tool and an alpha-n map. You will still need a map separately to using the tool, it is just used to adjust dme parameters. Martyn can confirm though.
As an aside it's perfectly fine to drive the car with the csl box on without a map, as the car will revert to a basic 'alpha-n' map when the maf is removed. So you can install it yourself and drive to someone for the map without any worries should you need to.
Ah thanks for confirming that - my assumption was that the car wouldn't run with a MAF-less carbon air box without the AlphaN tune being installed first.

Having said that, the other main appeal was the extra functionally of the rev limit increase, etc. and being able to select/change the map options myself.

Also, I assumed if I were to remove the carbon air box when putting the car back to stock that I would need to get the AlphaN map removed, but it seems like this isn't the case?

TIA

AlexRL

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by AlexRL » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:28 pm

For reference, my plan is to pick one of these up when I'm in the states next month to hopefully save import duties/VAT:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5976 ... kit-matte/

I appreciate its a bit off topic, but I came across this off the back of this post:

https://thebuildjournal.com/reviews/tur ... o-results/

I'll be mapping the car regardless, so going with the above Turner setup with some for of AlphaN map is probably the way I'll go.

Having said that, I recently found in the forum that Karbonius now make this: https://karbonius.net/producto/m3-e46-airbox-oem-style/ - which I could pair with the Eventuri intake and a regular (non AlphaN) map.

Does anyone have any views on which might be the better setup? (Turner w/ AlphaN vs. Karbonius/Eventuri and a map).

TIA

TomK

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by TomK » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:30 pm

AlexRL wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:19 pm
Also, I assumed if I were to remove the carbon air box when putting the car back to stock that I would need to get the AlphaN map removed, but it seems like this isn't the case?

TIA
I'm sure this is best answered by Martyn, but no, once you have written the optimised alpha-n tune to the dme, you will need to write the original one back on when you remove it.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Ed Doe

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:51 pm

AlexRL wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:28 pm Having said that, I recently found in the forum that Karbonius now make this: https://karbonius.net/producto/m3-e46-airbox-oem-style/ - which I could pair with the Eventuri intake and a regular (non AlphaN) map.

Does anyone have any views on which might be the better setup? (Turner w/ AlphaN vs. Karbonius/Eventuri and a map).

TIA
Karbonius Website states 'for customers looking for the noise but not the HP Gain'. So depending on what you mean by what is the 'better setup - the Karbonius OE Airbox is a lot of money for no gain...!!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

maupineda

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by maupineda » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:59 pm

AlexRL wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:28 pm
Having said that, I recently found in the forum that Karbonius now make this: https://karbonius.net/producto/m3-e46-airbox-oem-style/ - which I could pair with the Eventuri intake and a regular (non AlphaN) map.

TIA
I have this setup, and I had a CSL before, performance wise, ZERO difference between the two (butt dyno), and you don't have to remap if so you choose. granted, when I say zero difference between the two I am comparing a remapped CSL setup, v the OE Style + Eventuri AND a remap.

BTW, Karbonious found +4hp on the OE style, they said no performance gain as that delta could be just the delta between runs, but there was a delta if you want to cash that

beanie

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by beanie » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:29 pm

AlexRL wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:28 pm For reference, my plan is to pick one of these up when I'm in the states next month to hopefully save import duties/VAT:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5976 ... kit-matte/
I’d be worried about the box getting damaged in a suitcase, assuming that’s how you intent to bring it back. They’re big old things so won’t leave much room for padding and we all know how suitcases can get treated. Personally I’d just buy a karbonius/evolve/Geoff steel and get the added benefit of having your point of sale being that much closer to home should something go wrong.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

AlexRL

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by AlexRL » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:55 pm

maupineda wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:59 pm
AlexRL wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:28 pm

TIA
I have this setup, and I had a CSL before, performance wise, ZERO difference between the two (butt dyno), and you don't have to remap if so you choose. granted, when I say zero difference between the two I am comparing a remapped CSL setup, v the OE Style + Eventuri AND a remap.

BTW, Karbonious found +4hp on the OE style, they said no performance gain as that delta could be just the delta between runs, but there was a delta if you want to cash that
Ah very interesting, thanks for that!

According to the build journal article, they had around 19whp gain with the Turner vs. the Eventuri - so I guess with the possible extra 4hp from the Karbonius, its definitely close/negligible.

https://thebuildjournal.com/wp-content/ ... rnal-1.jpg

If I'm able to bring back the Turner intake from the US, it will be around 1.5k vs 2.3k ish for the Karbonius/Eventuri setup, so I'll likely go down that route if I can package it up alright...

maupineda

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by maupineda » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:59 pm

Please read all the threads about Turner box, not sure they have fixed all their issues, but the quality is not on pair with Karb, or even Haimus. Dont risk it, cheaper it is, but if it does bad, it will get more expensive very quickly. if you need to claim warranty you now need to pay shipping all the way back, or wait for your next trip LOL

bestgun

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by bestgun » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:18 am

Agree totally, read all the reviews and check YouTube as well - Stone Automotive for a great comparison between the different carbon airboxes. Karbonius are head and shoulders ahead of the rest. If you're going to the lenght and $$ of doing it, my recommendation is do it properly with the best airbox :-)

Martyn

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by Martyn » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:31 pm

After coming off my mountain bike on Weds I've been 'stuck' to my computer and managed to make some fairly sizable progress on the Z4M tool. It's amazing what I can do when I'm not messing with my own car lol.

I've finished off the modification and write changes code and everything is working nicely.

Next up will be some testing before I crack on with the tuning side. I'll probably integrate a standard tune + an AlphaN tune for CSL style airboxes but we'll see.

TomK

EcuWorx remap for Z4M

Post by TomK » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:43 pm

Martyn wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:31 pm After coming off my mountain bike on Weds I've been 'stuck' to my computer and managed to make some fairly sizable progress on the Z4M tool. It's amazing what I can do when I'm not messing with my own car lol.

I've finished off the modification and write changes code and everything is working nicely.

Next up will be some testing before I crack on with the tuning side. I'll probably integrate a standard tune + an AlphaN tune for CSL style airboxes but we'll see.
Excellent news (well apart from the fall, hope not too bad)! I had no idea the tunes could be integrated with the tool. As I mentioned previously if you need a csl box car to test I'd be happy to put mine out there.
Will you be including final drive ratio change in the modifications?