Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Passenger Pre Tensioner Air Bag Light - Fault Code 987B SBSL

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
colb

Post by colb » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:02 pm

You are not limited to a module with the same part number there are other compatable ones. Enter your Vin number in OEM parts site and find the module fitted to your car then click on the part number to show what othe modules are compatable exchangable be with yours. Look for a used one on eBay but it's a lottery getting a good one, replacement will need coding to your car and system time started.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

EViS

Post by EViS » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:49 pm

colb wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:02 pm You are not limited to a module with the same part number there are other compatable ones. Enter your Vin number in OEM parts site and find the module fitted to your car then click on the part number to show what othe modules are compatable exchangable be with yours. Look for a used one on eBay but it's a lottery getting a good one, replacement will need coding to your car and system time started.
Already done and even posted a wanted thread listing out all of the compatible part numbers, following your previous advice :).

EViS

Post by EViS » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:41 am

thread closure/

@enuff_zed came to the rescue with a compatible replacement SBSL - 6933985. The swap with the old module was easy - disconnected the battery, removed the two bits of plastic trim, slid the seat all the way forward and pulled the carpet back to access the modules' three bolts.

I already had Standard Tools (BimmerGeeks) with INPA v5.0.6 and ISTA+ v4.32.15 installed. To programme the module with a new VIN and system time, I followed this guide co-edited by @TomR, from this thread, with these E85 SP-Daten files. I say followed, I got stuck at the first hurdle - updating the VIN using the module's ZUSB in WinKFP. A huge and very special thanks goes to @Street for helping me out with the procedure and confirming some points. For anyone else stumbling across this thread in the future, here is what I learned:

- The ZUSB number is the same as the part number written on the SBSL module itself (i.e. 6933985).
- My version of WinKFP used the term 'ECU' as opposed to 'ZUSB' on the buttons. This is fine, the F1 - F8 buttons issue the same commands.
- In Comfort mode, F4 - Enter VIN did not show up for me, I had to activate this under Configuration and check UIF write in comfort mode.
- As per the aforementioned guide, WinKFP couldn't identify my ZUSB (ECU) family by my ZUSB number so I followed the alternative method within the guide. I opened the SBSL85.HIS file in C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\SBSL85. This listed my ZUSB number in both the ZB-NEU and ZB-ALT columns. Hence, I followed the guide's instructions:
A4. Select 'Update ZUSB' (in my case this said 'Update ECU')
A5. Select the correct family for your module
A6. Enter your full VIN and then click done
A7. Double check that the module your going to flash it's safe to flash with your cable and the battery needs to be connect to another power source
A8. Click on Prog. ZB-Update
At this point I kept receiving an "Error 209 UIF can not be read" with many COAPI error entries stating "ECU does not answer [...] No response from controlunit".

After many hours of battling and not wishing to stray too far in fear of bricking my newly acquired module, I reached out to @Street who advised that I should instead select F2 - Choose Custom File and then select any ZUSB number within the list. I selected 6948087 as this was listed within the ZB-NEU column next to my part number (i.e. 6933985,6948087,00,HL).

(I am still not sure whether it matters which ZUSB number is selected as long as it's within the HIS file alongside your actual part number. If someone could confirm, that would be great?)

This worked and the module was flashed with my VIN (and presumably with this different ZUSB?).

- Finally, it's possible to start the system time within ISTA+ and not have to use Tool32. I can't quite remember the procedure off-hand but it was only a couple mouse clicks.

That is me done. Thank you once again to ALL that have helped me diagnose and clear the airbag light. I'm always reluctant to replace sensors and write them off as faulty. More often than not, they actually flag a fault further down the line (e.g. in this case, with the pre-tensioner). However, in this case, it really was the sensor at fault as per all forum advice. :driving:

/thread closure

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:15 am

Well done for persevering.
Great assistance from Chris too :thumbsup:

Another victory for the forum :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rimsky

Post by Rimsky » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:24 am

Hi everyone, I am at my wits end with my car and in desperate need of some advice. I have let my MOT lapse before I fixed my airbag issue and now wondering how to get this sorted. I have followed all the info in this thread and like EViS got 2.3 ohm on the pre-tensioner so suspect the SBSL module to be the issue. Below are pics off realoem and of my module. The two don’t seem to match in any way.
My module
My module
IMG_1369.jpeg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Realoem info
Realoem info
IMG_0276.jpeg (61.19 KiB) Viewed 85 times
I found this on eBay. Again the numbers don’t match. Is this suitable?
EBay module
EBay module
IMG_0278.jpeg (56.63 KiB) Viewed 85 times
If it’s not, does anyone know where I can get hold of one to suit my car?
Any help would be really appreciated as I’m falling out of love with this thing and desperate to get it back on the road before my tax also runs out at the end of April. I’ve no idea how I’ll get the module sorted with my VIN and date with no tax and MOT but that’s another story.
Thanks in advance Paul.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:15 pm

If the top pic is your module then you need one of these:
Screenshot 2024-04-20 141356.png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 141356.png (39.55 KiB) Viewed 77 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:18 pm

Just checked and at the moment I don't have a spare of any of those numbers, sorry.

If you can find one of any of those numbers then make sure you can confirm they have not been in an accident and preferably try for some kind of warranty.
They can all be coded to your car with the right software.

Rimsky

Post by Rimsky » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:14 pm

Thanks enuff_zed for the reply and the critical information. Tons of drivers side versions about but no passenger side ones which seems strange.
Can’t believe I’ve got a car I can’t drive. If and when I fix it, my Mrs will take some convincing to keep it after this.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:42 pm

Rimsky wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:14 pm Thanks enuff_zed for the reply and the critical information. Tons of drivers side versions about but no passenger side ones which seems strange.
Can’t believe I’ve got a car I can’t drive. If and when I fix it, my Mrs will take some convincing to keep it after this.
Keep in touch. I have two '8571's.
One is definitely needed on a car next Wednesday. The other one is an 'I think I need it but not sure'. I'll be code reading that in about a week's time. If he's wrong it'll be available.

Rimsky

Post by Rimsky » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:02 pm

Oh I do hope he doesn’t need it. Please put my name down for that if he doesn’t? Thanks.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:24 pm

Rimsky wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:02 pm Oh I do hope he doesn’t need it. Please put my name down for that if he doesn’t? Thanks.
:thumbsup: