Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

All Season Tyres needed??

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 pm

Fred Smith wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:20 pm
B21 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:05 pm I think he was suggesting when it’s damp / cold etc he’d rather have the extra performance of a winter / all season tyre…

With the wildly oscillating temps it’s a struggle with pure winter tyres.,even in Scotland ..so all seasons are a good choice for the winter months wherever you are..
Thanks.

I cannot see that it is advisable to drive summer tyres all year round in the UK. But summer tyres are good for summer.

Winter tyres don't seem to be particularly necessary in the south of the UK, apart from maybe a few days a year, and I am happy to take Mitsubishi out on those days.

I think I need to enjoy my wheels and tyres this summer, and buy new wheels (18", silver, genuine BMW or otherwise look "classy" or like they might have come with the car from new) and fit all seasons in a few months time. Over the winter I can think about refurbing the summer wheels and replacing the almost gone summer rears.
Sounds like a good plan..especially darn sarf..but even up here, the weather is too variable for pure winter tyres..on a bad day I lost 1mm on my winters on an unusually warm day.. :rofl: :tumbleweed:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Lloyd

Post by Lloyd » Thu May 09, 2024 4:55 pm

I have Continental AllSeasonContacts on my hatchback run around, am very pleased with them though did not get much of a test this winter what with it being so mild.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Thu May 09, 2024 9:38 pm

Lloyd wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:55 pm I have Continental AllSeasonContacts on my hatchback run around, am very pleased with them though did not get much of a test this winter what with it being so mild.
I have them on mine for winter, I can certainly attest that they're significantly better at transmitting 500 Nm to the tarmac than the Michelin Super Sports when it's cold and damp < 10C :D

Michelins are a bit scary when cold!
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible