Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anybody know about Z3s living North Surrey/ South London?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:02 pm

If so I am potentially after a massive favour! :oops:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:06 am

Pondrew,

I think @Joycey might be the local guru for all thing's Z3 (&Z4) Maybe PM him.

I had a Z3 for about 3/4 years, but i am no mechanic :wink:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:41 pm

Cheers Mr N!
I am possibly after someone to go and look around a Z3 2.8 for me. It is a long way from me and I don't know one end of a Z3 from the other anyway TBH.

The car is in Kenley, just south of Croydon. Near Coulsdon!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:51 pm

Joycey is a good shout but I think he's in Basingstoke, Hants which must be nearly 50 miles from Kenley.

Inkey$ seems to be in SE London sometimes so much nearer, and has owned a few Z3s - maybe PM him?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zed-X

Post by Zed-X » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:56 pm

Kenley's not too far from me.

I'm no expert, but could view it & give you an idea of the general condition etc as photos can be deceptive.

Drop me a pm if you'd like me to check it out

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:44 pm

Zed-X wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:56 pm Kenley's not too far from me.

I'm no expert, but could view it & give you an idea of the general condition etc as photos can be deceptive.

Drop me a pm if you'd like me to check it out
Thanks very much for the kind offer, but I have another in Norfolk which looks like is a goer! another forum member kindly looked at it for me this evening.

This forum is full of very nice, decent and helpful people! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:02 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:44 pm This forum is full of very nice, decent and helpful people!
That's what makes it such a good place. :thumbsup:

Even if we are on it too! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:05 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:02 pm Even if we are on it too!
Erm...excuse me young man. You speak for yourself! :poke: :D

Seriously, though...
There is surely room for a thread for things like this. Forum members asking other forum members for help viewing potential purchases. Think how 'green' it is, let alone the convenience. You see so many potential buyers not wanting to travel 200 miles to view a car, when there are bound to be helpful members around the corner!

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:11 pm

Had one for 9 years 2001 model. Most common issues I came across, fractured wiring loom that goes from rear wing into the boot lid, once it goes it will mess the electrics up, had mine replaced by BMW with a new loom but can be repaired and the wires soldered back. Driveshaft clunk which can can be heard when selecting first gear and when changing up through the box so check any excessive driveshaft play. Mine did this but only very minor. Think it was down to the rubber doughnut driveshaft dampner that perishes. Noisy vanos. On early models the radiator fan housing can disintegrate with resultant damage, later models didnt suffer this. Inner sills will very likely be rusted which is hidden by the outer sill covers so get them off to check behind them. Same with fuel tank straps which rust away together with usual brake lines. The body is pretty rust resistant though. If going for a 2.8, 3.0 or M definitely check boot floor for cracks as spirited standing starts stresses the diff mount popping the boot floor welds. Check for boot water ingress through boot mounted brake light and perished wing mounted aerial grommet you normally see condensation on the underside of the bootlid. If the airbag light is lit this is usually the passenger connector under the seat that's been disturbed. The hood can leak from blocked drain seals on ends of the windscreen header and from the rear of the hood where its anchored to the body.

Apart from that a good one will be enjoyable to own but they're no sports car, I would always go for the M sport model which had better seats, lowered springs and light up gear knob :)

I changed the hood on mine which was originally black and swapped out the fake bonnet vents from the body coloured ones to the chrome. I did have some lovely AC Schnitzer alloys on it at one point but had issues with tram lining so swapped them out to a narrower front wheel as per the factory spec which cured it.

Would still like another either a 2.2 or 3.0 later model as I think they still look great but good low mileage examples are starting to increase in value now.

Tim.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:52 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:11 pm Had one for 9 years 2001 model. Most common issues I came across, fractured wiring loom that goes from rear wing into the boot lid, once it goes it will mess the electrics up, had mine replaced by BMW with a new loom but can be repaired and the wires soldered back. Driveshaft clunk which can can be heard when selecting first gear and when changing up through the box so check any excessive driveshaft play. Mine did this but only very minor. Think it was down to the rubber doughnut driveshaft dampner that perishes. Noisy vanos. On early models the radiator fan housing can disintegrate with resultant damage, later models didnt suffer this. Inner sills will very likely be rusted which is hidden by the outer sill covers so get them off to check behind them. Same with fuel tank straps which rust away together with usual brake lines. The body is pretty rust resistant though. If going for a 2.8, 3.0 or M definitely check boot floor for cracks as spirited standing starts stresses the diff mount popping the boot floor welds. Check for boot water ingress through boot mounted brake light and perished wing mounted aerial grommet you normally see condensation on the underside of the bootlid. If the airbag light is lit this is usually the passenger connector under the seat that's been disturbed. The hood can leak from blocked drain seals on ends of the windscreen header and from the rear of the hood where its anchored to the body.

Apart from that a good one will be enjoyable to own but they're no sports car, I would always go for the M sport model which had better seats, lowered springs and light up gear knob :)

I changed the hood on mine which was originally black and swapped out the fake bonnet vents from the body coloured ones to the chrome. I did have some lovely AC Schnitzer alloys on it at one point but had issues with tram lining so swapped them out to a narrower front wheel as per the factory spec which cured it.

Would still like another either a 2.2 or 3.0 later model as I think they still look great but good low mileage examples are starting to increase in value now.

Tim.
Makes a 35is E89 look like a sound reliable car… :rofl:

Have to say having followed Bertie’s 2.8 M around France and Spain they do have a certain charm..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:53 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:02 pm If so I am potentially after a massive favour! :oops:
Does this mean you will terrorise zroadster.org ad infinitum going forward? :fuelfire:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:14 pm

B21 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:53 pm Does this mean you will terrorise zroadster.org ad infinitum going forward?
I would like to change the word 'terrorise' for 'brighten up their day'. :lol:

I have big plans for the Z3 so other groups will be far more useful (which are all on Facebook unfortunately).

I am in the process of buying a really low mileage 3 litre manual. It is not mega money as the body panels are not in the best shape but that is not important to me. The sills are good, so is the chassis which is important.

I haven't been so excited about buying a car for years....and I can't stand the Z3. Ugly little thing IMHO! :o :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:33 pm

That's great news. :thumbsup:

Don't forget we'll need to see photos of your new Zed!

And on a more sensible note I'd have taken a look at it for you if I knew anything about Z3s. :roll:

I've checked out an E86 and an E89 for forum members in the past.
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:39 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:33 pm That's great news. :thumbsup:

Don't forget we'll need to see photos of your new Zed!

And on a more sensible note I'd have taken a look at it for you if I knew anything about Z3s. :roll:

I've checked out an E86 and an E89 for forum members in the past.
I know you would have Iain! You are a very lovely man (not in a weird way of course)! :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:56 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:39 pm I know you would have Iain! You are a very lovely man (not in a weird way of course)!
:rofl:

I could have asked you to look at my MC as it was in Rutland - but I bought it in 2019!
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black