Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Head unit causing stall? (Am i crazy?)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Fulhamsteve

Post by Fulhamsteve » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:29 pm

Hello all.

I recently have been having some intermittent issues with my 2.2 stalling/ RPM sharply dropping and hunting idle when cold starting, especially when it's cold/damp outside. This typically resolves itself after I let it run for 15-20 seconds and the car will run perfectly after it's out of the system. Happens regardless of MAF being plugged in and no relevant codes.

Anyway, something weird I noticed the other night, I recently installed a new Sony bluetooth head unit. This could be a coincidence but the car stalled precisely as my head unit paired with my phone via bluetooth. Literally exactly as it paired, bam the revs dropped and idle started hunting. I got to thinking about it and realised, my normal habit is to get into the car, start it, and pair my phone with head unit as it idles. The short time it takes to turn on the head unit, turn on my bluetooth, and get them paired would roughly coincide with the short amount of time it takes for the idle to start playing up. Today I left the head unit off, and no stall or idle issues.

Am I losing my mind here? Surely the head unit (specifically the bluetooth) couldn't be interfering with the car's running, could it? Part of me thinks this must be a red herring but thought I'd consult the experts.

Matty_Z4

Post by Matty_Z4 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:01 am

Could it be an undervoltage condition? When you connect bluetooth it uses a smidge more power and causes an issue? I would probably check the battery and alternator maybe read the codes and see if there are any undervoltage faults logged.

As for why a voltage issue could cause those problems I wouldn't have the first clue. I just refer back to the old days fo car audio where bumping the bass to high would cause your headlights to flash/dim to the beat :o
2005 E85 3.0i

DashingDaryl

Post by DashingDaryl » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:30 pm

In the old days spark plugs used to interfere with radio reception. I don't know how radio transmitting would effect spark plugs though,
https://carstopics.com/spark-plugs-caus ... _article=1

If I were you, I would test your pairing hypothesis until you are convinced one way or another.

It could be you are just in a daily rhythm that coincides with a kick down in your engine.