Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Limp mode over 3500rpm

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
cwfkingston

Limp mode over 3500rpm

Post by cwfkingston » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:17 pm

Hi,

Recently my E85 2.5i (54 plate) has started going into limp mode over 3500 rpm. It drives completely normally up until 3500rpm, but every time I push the revs over this it beeps, shows the 'EML' symbol and goes into a low-rev limp home mode. Switching the car off and on again resets this, and it is completely fine and driveable providing it is kept under 3500rpm.

I think this means that it can't be the Vanos, as I think I would notice this at lower revs too? On a note that may be completely unrelated, I got an emissions warning light and a 'too lean' error code a few days ago, but this has since gone and not returned. (For context- I only have a really cheap code reader so this doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any more!)

Any help with this would be very much appreciated!
Cheers

cwfkingston

Limp mode over 3500rpm

Post by cwfkingston » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:38 pm

Edit: I have just done another code read, and it has come up with three: P16A7, P0171 and P0174. I think this may point to the MAF sensor? Or maybe a vacuum leak somewhere? Has anyone else come across these problems before?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Limp mode over 3500rpm

Post by bigwinn » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:31 pm

I’ve had the lean codes before throw an eml and limp mode- was a big old air leak

Have you checked the air pipes from the airbox to the intake?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me