Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I'm done! It's got to go!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:14 pm

2010 Mini R56 bought for my daughter to learn to drive in.
I've had enough of the shitebox. Every time I fix something, something else goes wrong. There is only so much money I am willing to throw at it and that has now been surpassed! :x

The story of this utterly loathesome piece of 'Cowley Crap' is as follows:
Bought in April with 69,000 on it. Looked good, bodywork really nice, good service and MOT history. Saw it needed new discs and pads, but those are easy and cheap; paid £2700.

First was having to cut the locking wheel nuts off as two were mullered and the key supplied didn't fit the others!
Then found that 3 wheels were badly buckled, the fourth being buckled AND cracked. Got three straightened and had to buy one used wheel.
Tyres were all perished. So four new tyres (non RFTs).
New discs and pads fitted.
A/C had no refrigerant in it. I'm in that trade so did a pressure test. Condenser had a hole in it. Too expensive and difficult to bother with!
About a week later there was a loud ticking noise from the engine when warm, and often when cold too. Did some research and found the crap Peugeot engine in the thing was prone to cam chain failure. Sounded like it was coming from there. Got it into a garage to have this replaced. Turns out it wasn't the cam chain but the auxillary belt was shredded and catching on stuff on the way round.
Got that changed and gave it an oil and filter change whilst there.
Three days later it spewed it's coolant all over the floor. Took ages to find the leak, as it was a hairline crack in the thermostat housing. So I changed the coolant and thermostat, which is a horrible job on these, as the whole engine wiring loom had be disconnected and got out of the way. Did it eventually and sorted the coolant. The old coolant was like thick pea soup!

All good for about three weeks; well as good as these can be! Now it has started leaking fluid on the drive again. I can't find out what it is or where it's coming from, but I have a suspicion it is power steering fluid by where it's leaking and it's not oil.

So I've had it with the bloody thing. Even when it does work it is crap to drive; the stupid massive centre speedo is unreadable as it is at the wrong angle, the switches are all in stupid places and the seats are uncomfortable.

The car has done less than 600 miles in seven months and cost me in all over £4,500! It is worth about £1500 to the trade (without the new leak).

That's my rant for the day!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:32 pm

God no - does that mean you're car hunting again? :o

Mrs Tidy got her R56 Cooper in December 2006 and 60+K miles later it's still going strong, but then hers hasn't been bodged.

You can get a digital speed on the OBC display BTW if you don't care for looking at the retro centre speedo!

Whatever fluid is leaking won't be from the PAS though as it has EPAS, like Z4s - remember those?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:57 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:32 pm You can get a digital speed on the OBC display BTW if you don't care for looking at the retro centre speedo!
Yes I know. They had to do that because the other one is just a huge waste of space!

I hate that car! Hate it!

If it's not steering fluid, then it must be coolant; again! I can't see any sign of it and am past caring.

I would set fire to it if it wasn't insured by my daughter and she doesn't need a claim in her first year! :headbang:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:03 am

Our R56 the thermostat went twice inside a year so it could be that again as they are made of 2 section of sh***y plastic joined together.
I think I did post before you bought it about all the things that went wrong with ours, they are extremely overrated cars.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:22 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:14 pm 2010 Mini R56 bought for my daughter to learn to drive in.
I've had enough of the shitebox. Every time I fix something, something else goes wrong. There is only so much money I am willing to throw at it and that has now been surpassed! :x

The story of this utterly loathesome piece of 'Cowley Crap' is as follows:
Bought in April with 69,000 on it. Looked good, bodywork really nice, good service and MOT history. Saw it needed new discs and pads, but those are easy and cheap; paid £2700.

First was having to cut the locking wheel nuts off as two were mullered and the key supplied didn't fit the others!
Then found that 3 wheels were badly buckled, the fourth being buckled AND cracked. Got three straightened and had to buy one used wheel.
Tyres were all perished. So four new tyres (non RFTs).
New discs and pads fitted.
A/C had no refrigerant in it. I'm in that trade so did a pressure test. Condenser had a hole in it. Too expensive and difficult to bother with!
About a week later there was a loud ticking noise from the engine when warm, and often when cold too. Did some research and found the crap Peugeot engine in the thing was prone to cam chain failure. Sounded like it was coming from there. Got it into a garage to have this replaced. Turns out it wasn't the cam chain but the auxillary belt was shredded and catching on stuff on the way round.
Got that changed and gave it an oil and filter change whilst there.
Three days later it spewed it's coolant all over the floor. Took ages to find the leak, as it was a hairline crack in the thermostat housing. So I changed the coolant and thermostat, which is a horrible job on these, as the whole engine wiring loom had be disconnected and got out of the way. Did it eventually and sorted the coolant. The old coolant was like thick pea soup!

All good for about three weeks; well as good as these can be! Now it has started leaking fluid on the drive again. I can't find out what it is or where it's coming from, but I have a suspicion it is power steering fluid by where it's leaking and it's not oil.

So I've had it with the bloody thing. Even when it does work it is crap to drive; the stupid massive centre speedo is unreadable as it is at the wrong angle, the switches are all in stupid places and the seats are uncomfortable.

The car has done less than 600 miles in seven months and cost me in all over £4,500! It is worth about £1500 to the trade (without the new leak).

That's my rant for the day!
It is difficult to know when to stop. You keep thinking if I just do this last repair that might solve the problems. But it sounds like it is time to ‘get rid’ before what’s left of your sanity finally leaves. Plus it is an excuse to shop for another car!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:24 am

So you didn't get on then. :lol:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:53 am

IRD wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:22 am It is difficult to know when to stop. You keep thinking if I just do this last repair that might solve the problems.
That is exactly it. I did the thermostat for that very reason.

I think I just bought a lemon. Never had these problems before on any car. Maybe I've been lucky until now.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:04 am

So, what exactly is wrong with it then? :evil:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:22 pm

This reminds me of one of those for sale adverts that are ‘brutally honest’ to the point of being funny…

I’m not laughing mate, I feel your pain, but it’s one of those where if you copied and pasted that post into an eBay ‘for sale’ listing you’d be (even more of) an internet sensation :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:53 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:32 pm Mrs Tidy got her R56 Cooper in December 2006 and 60+K miles later it's still going strong, but then hers hasn't been bodged.
Quick update time. Mrs Tidy's R56 got a new MOT with no advisories at 67K miles this week, so they can't all be that bad!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:38 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:53 pm Quick update time. Mrs Tidy's R56 got a new MOT with no advisories at 67K miles this week, so they can't all be that bad!
Yeah me too. Ours also passed an MOT last month with no advisories at 69.8k!
The crappy Mini is still here. I have hunted and hunted for a leak but can't find one! :headbang:
I am now wondering if it is just rainwater/ condensation (as the weather is damp and dank) dripping into the engine bay and then going onto the driveway. It had a major coolant leak when the thermostat split so the coolant would have soaked into the driveway sets and maybe it's coming back out with the water. I dunno, but it's bizarre. No loss of coolant in the reservoir, it's not brake fluid as the reservoir for that is full to the brim.

It's also dripping underneath from a strange place. Nearside under the gearbox, but it's not oil and the gearbox is dry.

My daughter has loads of friends who want to buy it, but I can't sell a car to one of them (or anyone TBH) with a question mark over it.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:21 am

If you are not loosing any fluids then I suspect it’s just your paranoia :poke:
I think I’d just let your daughter keep it and think about selling when she passes her test.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:51 am

Was it green/yellow by any chance and the former owner Mr Bean ? :poke: :rofl:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:59 am

Is it just condensation from the air con? This happened on my z4 and I panicked until I read about it on here :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:03 pm

MikeyH wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:59 am Is it just condensation from the air con? This happened on my z4 and I panicked until I read about it on here
Pondrew wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:14 pm A/C had no refrigerant in it. I'm in that trade so did a pressure test. Condenser had a hole in it. Too expensive and difficult to bother with!
Not likely Mikey!

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold