Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery booster

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
tonyg

Battery booster

Post by tonyg » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:34 pm

I have a 2015 E89. Looking for a battery jump starter that you’ve used and tested in an E89.

I am UK based so want one that I can easily get hold of here in the UK. I’ve never owned one before but people talk about the Noco’s - either love them or hate them, though they seem to be more expensive. A recovery guy started an old E36 of mine a few days ago and wouldn’t touch a lightweight booster - but I want for very occasional use hopefully!

Thanks, Tony

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Battery booster

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:58 pm

I bought a Tacklife T6 on Amazon in 2019 and it started my E86M Coupe easily enough in 2020 when the battery had died.

Something like that should be fine for very occasional use, but probably not for a recovery guy!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Marcoose

Battery booster

Post by Marcoose » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:13 am

If this sells in the U.K., it’s a great tender, charger and starter.

Schumacher SC1281 100 Amp 30 Amp... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BLLRM8R?re ... b_ap_share
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Battery booster

Post by B21 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:28 am

If your having to use a booster on an e89 for starting then you’re probably not tackling the issue ..better to use a maintenance charger and keep the battery state healthy..

Lots of issues relating to poor battery health on E89s

IMHO
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

RobbiZ4

Battery booster

Post by RobbiZ4 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:39 am

Just a fresh new AGM 70Ah battery should do the trick. :thumbsup:
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

tonyg

Battery booster

Post by tonyg » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:09 am

Cables too short!
I will be buying one of these booster packs. The only thing is that the cables aren't long enough to go from the positive to negative points in the engine bay (I measured this as 83cm in the engine). Is there another grounding point nearer to the positive point in the engine bay - be aware that I am very not-electrically aware lol

Chippie

Battery booster

Post by Chippie » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:46 am

Don’t know which booster you are buying, if the positive and negative are joined together with only a short amount of separation at the ends then you can pull them apart to increase the distance between the ends, hope that makes sense 😁
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Battery booster

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:50 pm

tonyg wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:09 am Cables too short!
I will be buying one of these booster packs. The only thing is that the cables aren't long enough to go from the positive to negative points in the engine bay (I measured this as 83cm in the engine). Is there another grounding point nearer to the positive point in the engine bay - be aware that I am very not-electrically aware lol
Had the same problem with my Ctek. It reached but only just, even with the wires separated.
On the left side suspension tower, about half way down into the bay there is a multiple earth point. The mounting stud for that leaves plenty of thread to clip an earth cable on to.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Battery booster

Post by Pondrew » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:51 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:50 pm Had the same problem with my Ctek. It reached but only just, even with the wires separated.
On the left side suspension tower, about half way down into the bay there is a multiple earth point. The mounting stud for that leaves plenty of thread to clip an earth cable on to.
Or anywhere metal that hasn't got paint on it. On a DC powered car, the metal body/ chassis IS the earth. All of it!
Suspension top mount bolts are good, as they are easy to get to and on both sides. Although not great if you need to shut the bonnet with the charger attached, granted!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Battery booster

Post by Pondrew » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:56 pm

tonyg wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:09 am Cables too short!
Allowing your battery to discharge enough that you NEED a jump pack is not good. It will damage the battery, so it won't charge properly then you will have all sorts of electrical faults appear, which will be battery related. The E89 does not like a compromised battery, it is very specific about that!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

tonyg

Battery booster

Post by tonyg » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:36 pm

Quote for new battery incl registration from BMW main dealer £323. Is there somewhere recommended cheaper, I’d like it all fitted and registered. Either a chain store or somewhere near Hertford. Thanks.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Battery booster

Post by B21 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:49 pm

Halfords ,Kwik Fit etc

Confirm they will do registration before booking /paying

Exide, Yuasa, Varta, Bosch etc are tier 1 suppliers
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

joeybikes

Battery booster

Post by joeybikes » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:23 pm

My go to jump pack is Noco GB40. Only use it as LAST option. I have only used it once on the 2014 Z4 - driving home after purchase a few months ago. Also great for charging other devices and running laptop on the road. Would suggest purchasing the fitted case to match.
https://no.co/gb40