Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

So can BMW tell you’ve re-mapped your E89?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:12 pm

Short answer yes…

Longer story..

Second visit to a Mini main dealer with the current saga affecting the EGR system on B47 diesel engines..

Eventually sometime later in 2024 maybe 2025 they all will be retrofitted with a revised version.

That’s irrelevant to this point…

Once you’ve had your B47/B48/B58 engine re-mapped..even if you reflash it with a brand new BMW supplied code it will always show it was re-mapped..forever..

I did ask their technician about earlier engines..he said that about 5 years ago BMW implemented a new software system that gets invoked for all warranty claims…it’s not a dealer level system..BMW can remote in to the car.

They can determine any mods to the DME current and past including re-maps and piggy backs.

I guess for most E89s it’s irrelevant anyway as most folks BMW warranties have long expired..
Attachments
IMG_2209.jpeg
IMG_2209.jpeg (90.9 KiB) Viewed 215 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Hilly30si

Post by Hilly30si » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:01 pm

On my 2021 X3 I had to agree to update downloads remotely sent by BMW the level of info sent I would think any messing with the ECU would flag up. I had a message last year come up that my Mild Hybrid battery was not charging and I should stop the car, I did so five minutes later I had a phone call from BMW assistance who asked if I was safe and a technician would be sent. I told them I was safe and drove home three miles, next day they were on the drive to sort it. :o :o
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster