Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Soft top gap-to-body adjustment

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
perttu

Post by perttu » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:45 pm

I just finished my hydraulic hinge fix / roof motor relocation project, which involved taking the roof off. After reinstalling the soft top, when the roof is in down position, I think there is noticeably larger gap between the roof and the body than originally:
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg (125.97 KiB) Viewed 115 times
This discussion mentions something about possible adjustment: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/show ... st15519129, quote
There are factory-fitted adjusting shims under the fixing bolts (M8) on the B-pillar. Those adjusting shims ensure the correct lateral gap between the soft-top and the body.
I wonder where that is exactly referring to and how to make the actual adjustment? I'm only aware of two-per-side main torx bolts, but to my understanding they don't provide any possibility for adjustment. Or maybe I should leave the roof as it is, at least the roof fabric is not rubbing against the seal now, which in some cases can seemingly become an issue, when the gap is too small.
”Buy a BMW Z4, they zed. It’ll be fun, they zed.”

E85 3.0i 2003 Black Sapphire
Tesla Model 3 Performance

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:23 pm

That gap doesn't look any worse than a lot I have seen.
Does it latch properly at the front and seal nicely with the windows?
If so I think I'd leave well alone.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

perttu

Post by perttu » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:35 pm

The roof locks just fine in both up and down positions and there are no visible alignment issues. I will leave the roof as it is. Thanks for confirming this isn't anything to worry about :thumbsup:
”Buy a BMW Z4, they zed. It’ll be fun, they zed.”

E85 3.0i 2003 Black Sapphire
Tesla Model 3 Performance