Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best Performance All-Season Tires for Spirited Summer Driving and Mild Winters?

Discussing the current generation Z4
Masha Ava

Post by Masha Ava » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:54 am

Hey everyone!
I recently bought a Z4 with 19" Michelin Pilot Sport summer tires. Still, I'm looking to switch to a performance all-season tire that can handle spirited summer driving while also providing decent traction in mild winter conditions. I don't want to deal with separate summer and winter tires and I'm not planning to drive in heavy snow or slush, so true winter tires aren't necessary. Can anyone recommend good-performance all-season tire options that balance summer performance and winter safety? Please give me any suggestions.
[color=##F8F8F8] Access NJMCDirect
, the online ticket payment platform provided by the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission and New Jersey Government, to efficiently search, pay, and manage your NJ parking tickets through Municipal Court, all available in en español with easy login options.[/color]
Last edited by Masha Ava on Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:05 am

Goodyear Vector 4Seasons is the top dog if that’s your requirement…

I fitted them to my 305 BHP E89 MSport 20i Auto..

Very good but still fall short of the MP4SS or MP4S in terms of ultimate grip / handling..but not by much for most drivers..

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/202 ... e-Test.htm

Pure winters are useless in summer..

I have Michelin Cross Climate 2 and they are alledged to be not as good dry handling wise but I use them on a completely different design of vehicle.
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:22 pm

spirited summer driving and mild winter driving (ie above freezing) - i'd stick with Michelin pilot sports.

i'd avoid supersports or PS4S, but PS4 or PS5 would be the best tyre for that usage case, in my opinion.

coldel

Post by coldel » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:32 pm

To be honest I have owned loads of different cars and just used summer tyres, I remember once when I had to take the 350z out in snow and it was a bit hairy but then that was one occasion in a decade. Depends where you live and the road type of course, if you are in a city then I would just stick to summer tyres.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:32 pm

It’s the usual debate on all season / winter tyres…

Depends where you live in part…further north and east you go the more likely you are going to be below 7-8c the transition point where summer tyres performance falls off..

If you haven’t tried all season tyres / winter tyres at 0c on a damp road compared to summer tyres then it’s night and day..

In addition the performance of all season tyres in bridging and extending the performance gap has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 10 years.

The OP’s request is not unreasonable if you don’t want the faff or have the storage of running two sets of tyres..especially if you daily a G29 through the winter , as opposed to just going out for a potter on a sunny winters day.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

Vervish

Post by Vervish » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:35 pm

I run Michelin Pilot Sport All seasons on my X3M and on my E85 Z4. They are one of the best rated tires for dry/wet handling and overall lifespan (good for 30K miles). I can't comment on the longevity yet, but the handling in the dry is very close to a dedicated summer tire..

I also have heard great things about the Continental DWS ExtremeContact All-seasons...
2004 Z4 2.5i
USA

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:14 pm

Vervish wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:35 pm I run Michelin Pilot Sport All seasons on my X3M and on my E85 Z4. They are one of the best rated tires for dry/wet handling and overall lifespan (good for 30K miles). I can't comment on the longevity yet, but the handling in the dry is very close to a dedicated summer tire..

I also have heard great things about the Continental DWS ExtremeContact All-seasons...
I believe both those tyres are only available in the North American market ?

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:11 pm

I think PS4S are too sticky for a cars with 340hp as most mid range hatchbacks are putting out that kind of power, considering they put these on cars with twice that power. Depends what you want I suppose but for me the Z4 character is meant to misbehave and those tyres are just too good.

The other thing I dont like about them is they are really quite loud. Ive not been blown away tbh. I might be in the minority.

PS4 or PS5 might be better as the S is designed for higher performance and I dont think they suit mid range performance cars.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:28 pm

The spelling of 'tire' in the OP's post would seem to indicate a North American owner.

So one of their performance A/S tires will be fine - which bear ZERO relation to European All-Season tyres.

Comparison of North American High Performance All-Season tires:

Comparison of European Piddling Performance All-Season tyres:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:50 pm

mmm-five wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:28 pm Continental DWS ExtremeContact All-seasons
I wonder why they get the 'good stuff' and we don't?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:36 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:50 pm I wonder why they get the 'good stuff' and we don't?
Maybe cos they have proper Winters in much of the US, and there are a lot more potential customers than here? :?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:13 am

If you go to Prague in winter you’lll find it’s pretty cold…

However the market issue is maybe true…ultra high performance cars careering around in snow etc..can’t be bothered to change tires sounds like a much bigger market in North America.

When I needed to potentially use my Zed at any time in winter I did look at the Michelin Sports All Seasins but they were a fortune to import..