Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Recovery ain’t what it used to be…

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:48 pm

Three groups I know ( a neighbour and two friends) have all had the misfortune to breakdown in the last 28 days on long trips…in each case it’s electrical issue though it’s not relevant save a roadside or local garage repair was not possible…

As an aside since it now seems all garages are not willing to accept ad hoc work and therefore the option of taking a broken down vehicle for immediate repair goes out of the window.

In each case a trip of 200-250 miles home has turned out into a 12-15 hour recovery as the people subcontracted to do the work can only venture 62 miles from home base without a working tacho..

Most of the recovery fleet do not have tachos.

It’s based on an EU directive which HMG ‘ignored’ but GMB union brought a trst case to have it enforced.

First of all I thought it was my friend using a cheapo policy but yesterday and today found out AA and RAC are affected by this.

One to think about if like me most of your Zed trips take you more than 62 miles from home..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:08 pm

I can understand local garages not being keen to take on an unscheduled extra job, especially as electrical issues are often quite challenging to diagnose and fix. Especially with newer cars that require diagnostic equipment they may not have.

And sadly it seems a relay of recovery vehicles is also the norm now. Just glad my car didn't break on the NC500! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:04 pm

I suppose this is when the BMW Insured warranty pays off!

Our 335 developed a heater distribution problem ie Hot air blowing when ir should have been cold - Not a real "Breakdown"
Nevertheless, I called them, the BMW Man in a Van arrived, diagnosed the problem, booked me in next day to the dealership and arranged a hire car!

No complaints from me :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:34 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:48 pm AA and RAC are affected by this
I`m with RAC and was not aware of this so will call them tomorrow and see what they have to say .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:40 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:48 pm It’s based on an EU directive which HMG ‘ignored’ but GMB union brought a trst case to have it enforced.
But we ain't in the EU anymore, so doesn't make much sense to me.
Although a Union costing the UK people money and inconvenience sounds about par for the course. Unions should be classed like terrorist groups and banned IMO.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:54 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:34 pm
B21 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:48 pm AA and RAC are affected by this
I`m with RAC and was not aware of this so will call them tomorrow and see what they have to say .
As I type my friends with a 2013 Range Rover are at at Lymm truck stop…it’s now over 12 hours since their journey from Lancaster was supposed to start..they are 160 miles from St Albans..so it’s going to take 3 more changes to get home..,

They are with the RAC :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:05 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:40 pm
B21 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:48 pm It’s based on an EU directive which HMG ‘ignored’ but GMB union brought a trst case to have it enforced.
Although a Union costing the UK people money and inconvenience sounds about par for the course. Unions should be classed like terrorist groups and banned IMO.
Page 11 refers

https://www.avrouk.com/images/ul/guide- ... ations.pdf

UK inherited 1,000s of EU directives ..almost all have been retained on grounds of ball ache to replace, seen as retrograde in terms of safety, green or other reasons.

So just because you took back control doesn’t mean you can do what you like, cause some poor bastard has to write a whole bunch of new regulations..

In my short aviation career ..1999-2023 I’ve seen CAA-JAA-EASA-CAA…each with the most unbelievable pile of bureaucracy..each reworking of those regulations (bearing in mind planes still fly and pilots still fart) cost 1,000 of man hours for us to climb over..

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:25 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:40 pm
:thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:20 am

So it’s Thursday 09:00 am..my friends are at Sandbach services ..next pick up scheduled for 10:30…they will need another relay to get to St Albans…Tuesday morning they reported the fault…after diagnostics agreed to be recovered 09:00 am Wednesday …so 2 days so far..

They were offered a taxi with seperate unaccompanied recovery..our nieghbour got back from Wetherby by hire car to Jedburgh after 30 hours..

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:31 am

B21 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:20 am So it’s Thursday 09:00 am..my friends are at Sandbach services
This is a disgrace .

Who is picking up the accomodation costs ?
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:37 am

1536Z4 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:31 am
B21 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:20 am So it’s Thursday 09:00 am..my friends are at Sandbach services
This is a disgrace .

Who is picking up the accomodation costs ?
They get £30 to cover meals etc…

Just heard they are now being relayed from Sandbsch to Cannock…so that’s still over 100 miles short of St Albans..do they’ll need another relay after that :headbang:

I’m so glad that when my water pump failed on the far north west of the NC500 we decided to limp home..(although that may have been pre the directives that have caused this issue)…

In fact in that part of the world I think quite a few places are more than 62 miles from anywhere..

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:36 pm

I joined the many AA years ago due to having the 'recovery' system, one trailer all the way regardless of distance. Didn't like the RAC as they used non RAC companies to do the work and would swap from area to area. What a farce this country has become :headbang:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:46 pm

To close this one out..whilst my friemds were waiting for another relay at Cannock, they spotted a pukka RAC breakdown truck..using his former powers as a traffic cop he commandeered said truck..they arrived home after 30 hours on the road..sleeping in the car as the truckstops closed their doors at night..250 miles in 30 hours..

Think I'm going to pack an overnight bag and take a very warm. weather proof jacket with me on future Zed runs..

beanie

Post by beanie » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:01 pm

Sadly it’s nothing new. I broke down with my dad about 20 years ago. We were somewhere in the midlands and needed to get back to the Bournemouth area, probably a 2 hour journey at recovery truck speeds. Hours of waiting, multiple trucks and numerous stops later we made it. Utter farce and it seems things haven’t improved.

The entire industry needs a massive overhaul.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:24 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:46 pm 250 miles in 30 hours..
I tried ring RAC to ask them about this but gave up waiting on hold so emailed them instead . The reply from RAC was " Thank you for contacting us. Your enquiry has been forwarded to the appropriate area, who will contact you within next 5 working days."
Up to 5 working days for an email response thats a good start .