Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

no crank. no start

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
pmtwigg

no crank. no start

Post by pmtwigg » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:07 am

Hello.
I have a 2008 z4 3.0i. I went to start it a couple days ago and ran into trouble. I turned the key and it tried to start (sluggish and then stopped). I turned the key off and then tried again. This time, absolutely nothing. I figured it was the battery, but I had it tested and charged (its a new battery and contacts are clean). The battery is good. Next I though it was the starter. I went through the pain and removed it. Took it to have it tested. Starter is good. Next I thought it was clutch switch, but I can hear it clicking as the circuit is completed. I know it's not the engine or alternator because I was able to bump start the car drive. The only item left I can think of is the power distribution module (basically where the relay is). Anyone have any suggestions?

E86

no crank. no start

Post by E86 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:48 am

It could be the ignition switch.

pmtwigg

no crank. no start

Post by pmtwigg » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:08 pm

Nope. Wasn't the ignition switch. Replaced it 2 days ago. Went to get in today and nothing. Wouldn't start. Just like before. No noise at all

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

no crank. no start

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:34 pm

Did you actually change the starter?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

pmtwigg

no crank. no start

Post by pmtwigg » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:20 pm

No. I removed it and took it to autozone where they tested it. They said it passed, so I put it back in

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

no crank. no start

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:26 pm

pmtwigg wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:20 pm No. I removed it and took it to autozone where they tested it. They said it passed, so I put it back in
Think I’d try a new one
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rockhopper

no crank. no start

Post by Rockhopper » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:12 am

A jump pack directly to the back of the starter will rule it out.

pmtwigg

no crank. no start

Post by pmtwigg » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:10 pm

So I pulled off the starter solenoid terminal connector and took some readings when the key is in the CRANK position. From battery + to the solenoid connector, I get 0 volts
From the battery - to solenoid connector, I get 12.3 volts
I'm no electrical engineer, but I interpret that as making sense (if my starter is bad). If the solenoid terminal is getting 12 volts when key is in the crank position, that means it MUST be a starter issue.... right? I'm just confused as to why autozone said the starter was good if it really isn't.

Jas- USA

no crank. no start

Post by Jas- USA » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:32 am

This won't cost you anything to try and all you need is a long jumper cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVLxS5vpZPw

pmtwigg

no crank. no start

Post by pmtwigg » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:05 am

I just went out there and tried. Grounded the engine to the battery with a jumper cable. Still nothing. Didn't think it was the issue (I see the engine ground strap an it's still solid)

Jas- USA

no crank. no start

Post by Jas- USA » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:47 am

Like I said, it won't cost you anything and you can now rule it out as the problem. Pull your starter (your more than likely have to do it anyway) and have it tested again at one or two other autozone store's.