Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Radio stuck on phone caused by melted plastic on amplifier harness?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
zeah555

Post by zeah555 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:03 am

Just a little background, I bought a Z4 from a dealership with issues with the business radio. It was stuck on the phone mode and people were saying it was the telephone fuse so I did that I removed the telephone fuse. I also tried to do some stuff with the radio fuse and nothing worked. So I thought the radio was the problem. I did more research and checked the amplifier in the trunk, unplugged the connector, and lo and behold, there's some blue liquid gooey stuff on the socket and the plug itself and I don't know what it is. It smells burnt tho. I also realized that the moment I unplugged the amplifier, the radio went back to normal and I can access the stations again. I tried plugging it back in and it went back to phone mode.

Need some help out here, thanks.

zeah555

Post by zeah555 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:02 am

bump, need help

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:51 am

Since this is a sort of new to you car, the amp may have gotten water damaged from one of the prior owners. Most of the posting concerning the radio amp involve them being damaged due to water leaking into the trunk area. It's my understanding that once the amp is damaged it's done. Again, this is my understanding from other posting over the years. I don't know if BMW still has replacement AMP's, they did have them in stock years ago but, at that time the replacement cost was super costly. Since you radio still appears to be good your best bet would be looking for a used amp in a junk yard. If your current Amp has a BMW part number use it to look for a replacement. I do not know if a replacement needs to be coded into the car.

Good luck with this.

tomaszmk

Post by tomaszmk » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:27 am

Metal seems to be little rusty around the edges. Maybe water did some dammage?

Unscrew bolts and see, if this blue stuff is coming from inside or outside.
I don't think it is directly from water in the socket, rather something else.

zeah555

Post by zeah555 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:34 am

Jas- USA wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:51 am Since this is a sort of new to you car, the amp may have gotten water damaged from one of the prior owners. Most of the posting concerning the radio amp involve them being damaged due to water leaking into the trunk area. It's my understanding that once the amp is damaged it's done. Again, this is my understanding from other posting over the years. I don't know if BMW still has replacement AMP's, they did have them in stock years ago but, at that time the replacement cost was super costly. Since you radio still appears to be good your best bet would be looking for a used amp in a junk yard. If your current Amp has a BMW part number use it to look for a replacement. I do not know if a replacement needs to be coded into the car.

Good luck with this.
Yeah I just ordered a new amplifier from eBay. I'm just worried that if ever I need to code something because I have no idea how to do those.
tomaszmk wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:27 am Metal seems to be little rusty around the edges. Maybe water did some dammage?

Unscrew bolts and see, if this blue stuff is coming from inside or outside.
I don't think it is directly from water in the socket, rather something else.
I remember wiping down the socket and the plug from the harness. After I plugged it in and pulled it out, the blue stuff came back. Its pretty weird.

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:34 pm

blue stuff: Well, given your facts, I believe your old AMP is done regardless. Yea, I would be in the same boat, I've no idea on how you'd code in the AMP.