Hello all.... pondering an E89

First port of call for new members
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:14 pm

Wardy5 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:26 pm Having now tried examples of both the 20i and 23i, I don't think I'm any further forward :lol:

As I like different characteristics of both the 23i (noise, responsiveness, smoothness). I thought the 20i drove well with a good turbo response and a good torquey delivery, with better economy and the lower tax band. I also tend to modify my cars, so the potential to add some performance to the 20i easily didn't pass me by!

On the N20 engines, would you say it's a good idea to have the chain tensioners replaced as a matter of course? Good preventative maintenance?

Cheers,
Steve
The N20 (18, 20 or 28) with a cheap and simple remap really does transform the car into a quick and powerful thing.
The 23i and 30i may be good but there is nowhere to go really with the n/a N52 engines so you get what you get.

Just be aware that the E89 is not an equivalent of an MX5. Much more of a cruiser than a 'sportscar'.

As for the infamous cam chain debate....nearly as many opinions as which tyres are best! :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Wardy5

Post by Wardy5 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:54 pm

Thanks for the input - plenty to continue to ponder!

Oh yes, as mentioned above, I'm not expecting it to directly replace the '5 from a driving perspective.

The tyre comment gives me some great context, thank-you - enough said :wink:

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:32 am

As others have said, a remapped 20i (or any 4 pot) will bring a huge smile to your face. You won't be wishing for more power or torque as you'll have plenty.