Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My new Z4M Roadster

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Bmwz4ruby

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by Bmwz4ruby » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:38 pm

So I have owned my Z4 coupe for for around 3 years and it has been fabulous but I had a nasty M itch bothering me. I did used to think that the coupe was 75% of the M!

Well after having test driven 4x M’s I realised it is a completely different car (realised this after the very first test drive). Now having owned my M for 3 days I am in love, it does everything different and very well. I could go on forever with superlatives but I won’t (for now, ha).

Anyway it’s a 2006 in Sapphire black with 50,000 miles and full history. It has had the rod bearings done about 5,000 miles ago. It has almost every factory option only missing passenger airbag turn off. It even has the factory specced mats and wind deflector. Condition everywhere is really very good and as you may be able to tell I’m thrilled. To anyone contemplating an M I would urge you to do it, it’s a very special car. To some pictures.
IMG_1272.jpeg
IMG_1272.jpeg (19.25 KiB) Viewed 468 times
IMG_1311.jpeg
IMG_1311.jpeg (228.44 KiB) Viewed 468 times
IMG_1309.jpeg
IMG_1309.jpeg (194.78 KiB) Viewed 468 times
IMG_1306.jpeg
IMG_1306.jpeg (264.62 KiB) Viewed 468 times
Last edited by Bmwz4ruby on Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 E86 3.0 Si Sport, Ruby Black
2006 E85 M Roadster, Sapphire Black

Abbas

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by Abbas » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:59 pm

Congrats on the purchase! It looks great!

I’m definitely considering going from a 3.0si coupe to an m M roadster so I’d love to know your thoughts and how they compare. There’s nothing like going for a hoon in a roadster for me so I’m weighing up if an M roadster would be the right choice as my only car. I drive mainly around town and the odd motorway drive, and weekend drives when the weathers good. The coupes been fantastic for that, just wish it didn’t have a roof sometimes.

What’s the ride quality like? Mpg around town? I used to have 3.0 roadster a few years ago and i found it perfectly fine for what I need from a car and I loved being able to put the roof down. So if an M is the same but dialled up to 11, that sounds like a very interesting proposition.
BMW 3.0si Coupe
IG: @abbas2kk

LawrenceW

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by LawrenceW » Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:10 pm

Pleased to hear that you have found the cure to your M itch!

I too had the same nasty itch a couple of years ago until the soothing ointment called S54 cured me too!! 😉

buzyg
Legend
Legend

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by buzyg » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:30 pm

There quite good aren't they. Nothing like them will ever be build again by BMW. Enjoy. :driving: :thumbsup:

Bmwz4ruby

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by Bmwz4ruby » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:51 pm

So I loved the 3.0 si coupe but, I thought the factory ride quality was quite poor (partly older dampers) and also had a lot more suspension travel than my e90 330d M sport which rides a lot better than the coupe. Both were not on run flats before anyone asks.

I decided that the roadster over the coupe was the right choice as the negatives didn’t add up to me but the massive positive of having the roof off did. I do not regret that decision at all, it is still a very stiff car as designed from the outset as a roadster.
The handling (wider track, different geometry, LSD), brakes (CSL) steering (Hydraulic) and that engine (which deserves its status, it’s a peach) mean this car is far removed from lesser models. That is not to downplay them at all but we are talking a big leap everywhere.

Using your analogy the the coupe 3.0 si is a 9 the M is a 20.

MPG is almost on a par with the 3.0, I got over 32 mpg on the mixed drive when I picked it up.

Also people who know, know. I had a chap at the first fill up talk to me for 10 mins about it (he was driving the latest a latest M3).

Abbas

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by Abbas » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:50 pm

Bmwz4ruby wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:51 pm So I loved the 3.0 si coupe but, I thought the factory ride quality was quite poor (partly older dampers) and also had a lot more suspension travel than my e90 330d M sport which rides a lot better than the coupe. Both were not on run flats before anyone asks.

I decided that the roadster over the coupe was the right choice as the negatives didn’t add up to me but the massive positive of having the roof off did. I do not regret that decision at all, it is still a very stiff car as designed from the outset as a roadster.
The handling (wider track, different geometry, LSD), brakes (CSL) steering (Hydraulic) and that engine (which deserves its status, it’s a peach) mean this car is far removed from lesser models. That is not to downplay them at all but we are talking a big leap everywhere.

Using your analogy the the coupe 3.0 si is a 9 the M is a 20.

MPG is almost on a par with the 3.0, I got over 32 mpg on the mixed drive when I picked it up.

Also people who know, know. I had a chap at the first fill up talk to me for 10 mins about it (he was driving the latest a latest M3).
That's really useful to know, thank you. I've seen some POV driving videos of the Z4M with a carbon airbox (evolve I think?) and some exhaust mods and it sounds absolutely unreal.

I used to have an S2000, and it was 10/10 on a b road but it wasn't a nice place to be for just about everything else in my opinion, so I guess I'm hoping the Z4M is almost a GT version of an S2000, which would be perfect! 8000RPM redline is a lovely thing. Maybe I just need to test drive one and all will become clear.

You bought the M at a perfect time to enjoy it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
BMW 3.0si Coupe
IG: @abbas2kk

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by tomscott » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:12 pm

Congratulations. It looks a stunning example.

Im on my second Z4M they certainly get under your skin.

Doddsy

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by Doddsy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:31 pm

Congratulations! I also couldn’t believe the difference and still tempted to get a roadster at some point :thumbsup:
Now: Z4MC Titan Silver
Gone: E86 3.0Si Sport Titan Silver - M exhaust + bumper - Battery Relocated - Aero Front
E86 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey - Carbon Diffuser - Aero Kit - B/Box Mod - Storm MW V2
E85 2.5 Si Sport Titan Silver

Bmwz4ruby

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by Bmwz4ruby » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:45 pm

Great comments all round. It’s a fantastic car (so far, I am very confident she’s a good’un) and I can’t believe I spent what I did and feel 100% happy about it.
I think you could call it a GT against an S2000 but it’s far removed from a soft GT. It really goes well in all respects and feels very but the sports car.

The first picture didn’t upload and won’t for some reason. Anyway it’s an engine bay shot with the Eventuri filter system fitted. With this an exhaust is not needed in my opinion, it sounds so good. Will get another pic and upload.

Definitely recommend anyone thinking about it to get a test drive in one. Be warned though, you will end up buying one!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:16 pm

Bmwz4ruby wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:45 pm Definitely recommend anyone thinking about it to get a test drive in one. Be warned though, you will end up buying one!
That is excellent advice. :thumbsup:

I went to look at one in June 2019 but didn't get much of a drive in it because it was on SORN, and while I was making my mind up it sold.

I got a proper drive in one a few months later and realised how much I needed one in my life, just not that particular one!

So I jumped on my MC when it got advertised in December 2019 and I just love it. Even starting the engine it feels so special, and then getting the revs right up is spine-tingling. :wub:

For Abbas' benefit I can't comment on ride quality as mine has coil-overs fitted, but I've averaged just over 27mpg for the 15K miles I've done. Just don't drive one unless you're prepared to want one!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Bmwz4ruby

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by Bmwz4ruby » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:29 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:16 pm So I jumped on my MC when it got advertised in December 2019 and I just love it. Even starting the engine it feels so special, and then getting the revs right up is spine-tingling.
Spot on. Everything feels special with it. Starting the mighty S54, very light throttle shift at 1500 rpm whilst it warms up, hearing it at any throttle in mid range or feeling and hearing it sing near or at the redline. It dominates everything and can be heard at any revs or throttle input. Very, very special and it makes you feel special as well.
As a side note I took it out earlier this morning for a blast down Harry Metcalfe’s test route and it excelled. I was beaming and the car was lapping it up.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:04 pm

It sounds like you are as smitten with your M as I was (and still am) so congratulations on making that jump. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by john-e89 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:17 pm

Bmwz4ruby wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:45 pm Great comments all round. It’s a fantastic car (so far, I am very confident she’s a good’un) and I can’t believe I spent what I did and feel 100% happy about it.
I think you could call it a GT against an S2000 but it’s far removed from a soft GT. It really goes well in all respects and feels very but the sports car.

The first picture didn’t upload and won’t for some reason. Anyway it’s an engine bay shot with the Eventuri filter system fitted. With this an exhaust is not needed in my opinion, it sounds so good. Will get another pic and upload.

Definitely recommend anyone thinking about it to get a test drive in one. Be warned though, you will end up buying one!
Congrats that looks a cracker…! :thumbsup:

Agree on the exhaust too, I had a Gruppe M on mine with Remus back boxes, the Gruppe drowned out the boxes, so it came off and was sold as i prefer exhaust, just imho but it’s pointless having both, its one or the other depending which you prefer.

Enjoy…! :driving:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:37 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:17 pm Agree on the exhaust too, I had a Gruppe M on mine with Remus back boxes, the Gruppe drowned out the boxes, so it came off and was sold as i prefer exhaust, just imho but it’s pointless having both, its one or the other depending which you prefer.
That's great to know John. :thumbsup:

Mine came with Powerflow back-boxes that sound great when I open it up and that's why I've managed to resist all the adverts for Gruppe M, etc. So it's good to know I made the right choice as I prefer exhaust noise too!
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

My new Z4M Roadster

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:08 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:37 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:17 pm Agree on the exhaust too, I had a Gruppe M on mine with Remus back boxes, the Gruppe drowned out the boxes, so it came off and was sold as i prefer exhaust, just imho but it’s pointless having both, its one or the other depending which you prefer.

That's great to know John. :thumbsup:

Mine came with Powerflow back-boxes that sound great when I open it up and that's why I've managed to resist all the adverts for Gruppe M, etc. So it's good to know I made the right choice as I prefer exhaust noise too!
I don't agree - the combination of aFe intake and Remus backboxes was perfect IMHO, each complementing the other and certainly neither sound was overwhelmed. My aFe heat shield started to rust, so I bought a GruppeM and I was pretty disappointed with it. It lacks the metallic rasp of the aFe intake that matches the S54 so perfectly and it's best described as anaemic in comparison. It does look much better under the bonnet though! I was very surprised how muted the GruppeM is for the S54 - I have one fitted to my B7 RS4 and it adds enormous theatre to a car that is fairly quiet in stock form.

I've subsequently fitted a modified post-MAF intake tube that allows the sound generator to be fitted to the ///M and it has restored some of the intake noise, but the tone is still not on a par with that of the aFe intake.

OP - congrats on the new car, it looks lovely (for a roadster :P ). Personally, I would recommend both intake and exhaust, but not an exhaust that is excessively loud or drones. The Remus backboxes are great - they scream at 5-8k rpm and supply plenty of pops and bangs on the overrun when running hot, but they're never intrusive at motorway rpm.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone