Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag light on error code 98D7

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jimbo81

Post by Jimbo81 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:32 pm

Been working through issues last to sort it an airbag light on
Had it plugged in Sunday fault code 98D7 came up now I’m mechanically minded but electrical is my downfall any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have also since ordered a c310 so don’t have to keep paying for codes being read

Now I’ve delved into where the module is but to be honest I don’t have a clue what I’m looking at 😂
Attachments
IMG_5511.jpeg
IMG_5511.jpeg (171.97 KiB) Viewed 167 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:35 pm

Is that your one?
Is it dead?

I have two here with that number, but you'd need it coding with the VIN and system time.
Where are you?
Happy to help if it's feasible.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:39 pm

You could also use any of these that say they are exchangeable:
Screenshot 2024-04-09 183647.png
Screenshot 2024-04-09 183647.png (70.64 KiB) Viewed 163 times
I have a 2888, a 7504 and a 5158

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jimbo81

Post by Jimbo81 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:41 pm

Yes buddy had a little bit of digging this evening as is bugging me now

Not sure if it’s dead or not see pic this is the code it threw up bud

Based few Mile out from Grantham
Attachments
IMG_5509.jpeg
IMG_5509.jpeg (139.3 KiB) Viewed 162 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:45 pm

Jimbo81 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:41 pm Yes buddy had a little bit of digging this evening as is bugging me now

Looks pretty conclusive. Was it wet under there? You could try contact cleaner on the plug? A wild stab but you never know.
If not then possibly a run over to Norfolk?
But bigwinn is at Lincoln. If he can code it then I'll post you one.

Before that though, Stuart did mention something recently about checking the plug connector on the door airbag. Got to be worth a check first, just in case.

Jimbo81

Post by Jimbo81 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:52 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:45 pm
Jimbo81 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:41 pm Yes buddy had a little bit of digging this evening as is bugging me now

Looks pretty conclusive. Was it wet under there? You could try contact cleaner on the plug? A wild stab but you never know.

Before that though, Stuart did mention something recently about checking the plug connector on the door airbag. Got to be worth a check first, just in case.
Possibly I’ve seen that the airbag system seems to be a problem with these but was bone dry buddy

Sounds like a plan buddy 👍

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:53 pm

Jimbo81 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:52 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:45 pm

Possibly I’ve seen that the airbag system seems to be a problem with these but was bone dry buddy

OK, so you check all those connections first, then see if Stuart can help.
Then let me know where we're at.
I can definitely sort the module, but no point coming this far unless you fancy a day out in Norfolk.
Job would only be an hour.

Jimbo81

Post by Jimbo81 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:00 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:53 pm
Jimbo81 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:52 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:45 pm Looks pretty conclusive. Was it wet under there? You could try contact cleaner on the plug? A wild stab but you never know.

OK, so you check all those connections first, then see if Stuart can help.
Then let me know where we're at.
I can definitely sort the module, but no point coming this far unless you fancy a day out in Norfolk.
Job would only be an hour.
Ok buddy sounds like a plan I’ll check all connections tomorrow then see if Stuart can help we’ll go from there 👍

Pistemagician

Post by Pistemagician » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:50 pm

I recently had an airbag module fail, reason unknown.
There was no water ingress.

As the car isn't used that often I had inadvertently allowed the battery to go flat and I am advised that this is likely to have triggered the issue.

The part was covered under warranty but BMW waited 10 months to announce that they won't be making them any more.

I bought a used part from Ebay but found that the VIN number on the old part could not be erased by the standard BMW software so had to look further afield.
I had it reprogrammed by Paul at CrashTestReset.uk based in Washington, Tyne and Wear. He managed to harvest the data from my old module and clone the used part. (not to be confused with CrashTest.co.uk who to date have not replied to my emails or answered their phone).

I sent both parts to him in the first instance and he did a diagnostic and established that he could do the fix. I took the car to his base in Washington and it took him a couple of hours, including installing the replacement part.

Highly recommended and not expensive.

Pistemagician

Post by Pistemagician » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:50 pm

I recently had an airbag module fail, reason unknown.
There was no water ingress.

As the car isn't used that often I had inadvertently allowed the battery to go flat and I am advised that this is likely to have triggered the issue.

The part was covered under warranty but BMW waited 10 months to announce that they won't be making them any more.

I bought a used part from Ebay but found that the VIN number on the old part could not be erased by the standard BMW software so had to look further afield.
I had it reprogrammed by Paul at CrashTestReset.uk based in Washington, Tyne and Wear. He managed to harvest the data from my old module and clone the used part. (not to be confused with CrashTest.co.uk who to date have not replied to my emails or answered their phone).

I sent both parts to him in the first instance and he did a diagnostic and established that he could do the fix. I took the car to his base in Washington and it took him a couple of hours, including installing the replacement part.

Highly recommended and not expensive.