Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which BMW Headunit for Carver Top Hi-Fi in LCI cars ?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Wed May 22, 2024 2:03 pm

My 2006 E86 came with Sat Nav and Top Hi-Fi sound sytem (Carver, 10 speaker). I have replaced my Sat Nav display and computer with a Garmin GPS and a BMW CD53 radio headunit. It gives me a modern, pop-up GPS with voice control and an OE look. The CD53 headunit functions properly, BUT it seems that it is driving only the front (TeleCommunicationUnit, TCU) speakers.

I want to emulate an OE top Hi-Fi without Nav, I hoped the CD53 would do this. I don't need graphical control of DSP, but I want all the speakers to function.

1) Will a member who has the Top Hi-Fi (Carver) setup with DSP, but without Nav, please confirm or post a photo that this headunit can control the Carver system with DSP amp ?

2) If the CD53 radio can drive the Carver system, do I need to code the K-bus to properly pair the CD53 headunit and enable signal to all my speakers ? If this is the case, advice on how to code would be appreciated.

I want to maintain the original amp and speakers.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Thu May 23, 2024 7:38 am

Z4Mariner wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:03 pm I want to emulate an OE top Hi-Fi without Nav, I hoped the CD53 would do this. I don't need graphical control of DSP, but I want all the speakers to function.

1) Will a member who has the Top Hi-Fi (Carver) setup with DSP, but without Nav, please confirm or post a photo that this headunit can control the Carver system with DSP amp ?
Hi Z4Mariner,

Sorry to hear you've got this issue, that's a pain.

Not sure this will help because my Z is pre-facelift (2004) but photo attached of my head unit. This was fitted in my Z from new with Top Hi-Fi setup and DSP amp, no Nav. NOTE - my Amp is the early variant with co-axial input from CD player. This head unit combination gives the limited preset controls of DSP Amp settings - Jazz, Cathedral etc. Might be an issue matching this model head unit to your later amp - sorry I just dont know.

Have you tried searching your amp serail number - might throw up something?
Attachments
E85 Business, no Nav.jpeg
E85 Business, no Nav.jpeg (171.78 KiB) Viewed 275 times
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Thu May 23, 2024 12:33 pm

Thanks Mojito, I will give that a go.

I also need to fiddle with the settings on my BlueBus Bluetooth and with the Garmin 66. I really appreciate the backup camera and the voice control on the Garmin - but still working out how to get a voice-only selection of my intended destination when Garmin gives me more than one choice. I live just outside a metro area (still a lot of farmland), but my driving can take me into the city, so Garmin traffic notification has pleasantly surprise me several times - having the Garmin in Map mode, it's useful to see a traffice delay well ahead of the brake lights.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Thu May 23, 2024 12:35 pm

Thanks Mojito, I will give that a go. I also need to fiddle with the settings on my BlueBus Bluetooth and with the Garmin 66. I really appreciate the backup camera and the voice control on the Garmin - but still working out how to get a voice-only selection of my intended destination when Garmin gives me more than one choice. I live just outside a metro area (still a lot of farmland), but my driving can take me into the city, so Garmin traffic notification has pleasantly surprised me several times - having the Garmin in Map mode, it's useful to see a traffice delay well ahead of the brake lights.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:09 pm

As a follow-up, I 'reset' my Business CD53 headunit, and I have rear speakers again.

Thanks for your input !
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:55 pm

Z4Mariner wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:09 pm As a follow-up, I 'reset' my Business CD53 headunit, and I have rear speakers again.

Thanks for your input !
Hi Z4Mariner, pleased to hear you’ve sorted the issue :thumbsup: Just out of interest how did you reset your CD53 - might be useful one day.
Summer and warm dry days have yet to put in an appearance over here, but fabluous drive today (Cornwall) and the Garmin really came into it’s own. Never ceases to amaze me that Garmin voice control and Alexa really do work top down at 60mph :)
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold