Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thinking of a new Camera

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Thinking of a new Camera

Post by lacroupade » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:11 pm

Great pics! :thumbsup:
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:41 am

Yep.

Loving the Tornado, Lancer and Flanker pictures :)

Three of my fave airraft...!

Those Flanker guys know how to put on a show. Only saw them once out of many UK airshow trips when younger and they really were fantastic :D

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:49 am

Well I've been a bit sidelined with real work this week, but I'm going to go for a Canon 450D. Bit more expensive that say a second hand older body but carries a warranty and has lots of things that will help me such as the stabilised 18-55 lens.

Big question now is where to buy from? The benchmark is Jessops at £469 (after £30 Canon rebate)

1) Is there any reason to avoid the US variant, the Rebel XSi?

2) So any good sources?
All the high street retailers are as Jessops price.
Ebay new UK is a little less, but add carriage and the Ebay risk and you're back there
EBay usually HK is about £40 less and bung in a shed load of extras. 2x Lenses, 8GB card, bag, tripods, etc. Trouble is guarantess and likely import duty
Second hand price expectation of people is way too high - often selling/asking for £30 to £50 less than new :thumbsdown:

I'm reluctant to just pay too much to Jessops because they are there and local
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:58 am

i always use this site but click on the vendors info as the site isnt always up to date
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat1.html
SOLD 2006 Z4 ///M Roadster in Imola Red....As seen below
http://www.pbase.com/elliot_d/bmw_z4_m

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:42 pm

Jessops price doesn't look too bad... Amazon £458 - £484 free delivery and the £30... Pixmania.co.uk is about the same as Jessops when you add delivery. All things being equal I generally go to John Lewis - customer service there is so much better if there are any issues, although their price match is a pain! :x

I'll have the 400D with me tomorrow if you want to have a play before buying - I think they are fundamentally the same cameras.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:21 pm

I'll take a t look at your 400D tomorrow :thumbsup:

Some good links their guys - thanks.

Seemingly all taken into account walking into Jessops or John Lewis is not so far off the mark given the UK bricks and mortar facility, proper warranty and at least some sensible advice.

Will let you know where I end up
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:42 pm

My first DSLR was a Canon Digital Rebel (300D) bought from Canada via ebay, saved a bundle over UK costs but that was five years ago. Spec the same as UK model and I had no problems shifting it last year, so I wouldnt have a problem is the cost saving was there.

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 am

Get a 2nd hand 30/40d imho... :)

350/400d are a little limited imho, you WILL want to upgrade from one if you start enjoying the camera more (everyone I know who had a 300/350/400D has since moved away to a 30D/40/50D or 5Dmk1 etc since owning one for about a year)

:D
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

rabman5

Post by rabman5 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:39 pm

WLH wrote:rabman5, well I just made the move today to a Nikon D300s. I did gave serious consideration to the D700 and IMO I think except for action shots it is better in many ways than the D3 for a lot less money. It's got almost all the same features and more and a lot smaller. Does lack the 4 X 5 framing guides which is favored by the pros. Anyway I decided that the D700 was more camera than I needed except I was drawn to the full size sensor. Anyway moving up from my D40X I now have a bunch of older Nikon lens that will work with the D300.

Bill, This comes out in 3 days. I might ask Santa for it. (Santa got a new diamond for our anniversary this year so maybe I might get it! :wink: )

Nikon D3s is amazing! ISO 102,000 and HD video! 13 fps!

If you get a chance look at the videos from Bill Frakes and Vincet Munier.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:49 pm

rabman5, I was just reading about the D3s a few days ago. That would indeed make a nice Xmas present for you... :thumbsup:

I am enjoying my D300... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

DrNick

Post by DrNick » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:49 pm

I find the limitation to the cheaper end of the market is the kit lens they come with

Had a film SLR for years, then got the 300d when it came out which I upgraded to the 400d a couple of years later on the basis of speed of operating, photos pretty much the same. Stuck with the 18-55mm kit lens and my old 75-300mm lens + sigma macro lens.

A few months ago bought a canon 17-85mm US IS lens - massive improvement - faster/shaper/nicer zoom ratio - unless you are a pro unlikely to need functionality of the 40 over the 450, but once you get the hang of it then upgrade the lens and you will find a difference.

Thats my experience anyway
2007 Carbon Black 2.0 Sport + comfort pack + bluetooth - Loved and not forgotten!
2012 E89 Space Grey M Sport 2.0 Auto - need to update signature!

DrNick

Post by DrNick » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:03 pm

or go whole hog and buy it straight with the better lens...

http://www.parkcameras.com/9518/Canon-E ... mm-IS.html

have used parkcameras before - very helpful
2007 Carbon Black 2.0 Sport + comfort pack + bluetooth - Loved and not forgotten!
2012 E89 Space Grey M Sport 2.0 Auto - need to update signature!

bigcoose

Post by bigcoose » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:52 pm

hi there cj,i have used a canon 300d for quite a while for taking pics when i go to rallys and other things.i have put a couple of pics on as an example or 2.the rally cars were using a canon ef-s 75-300mm lens using the sports setting on the camera and the one of my 1 series was taken using a canon ef-s 18-55mm lens with manual settings on the camera.this set up is not expensive but is quite effective.non of my pics have been altered,they are exactly as i took them.i have now indulged in a canon 40d and also a canon l series 100-400mm lens which is amazing but cost a bob or 2 and quite a few conkers.i hope it gives a little help. :thumbsup: Image Image Image
you're damned if ya do,you're damned if you dont!!!!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:13 am

That does help and great to see some shots unaltered/ Love all 3 for different reasons. The gravel caught mid flight looks great.

I've now chosen a 450D and am close to hitting the buy button. One vendor has bundled a lot together for me (bag, chip tripod, extra battery and lots more), proper 450D (not Rebel or Kiss) 2 year warranty and of course the 18-55 IS lens. Importing and it wil be a gift so all for £420 inc P&P seems good deal

DrNick - thanks but a bit pricey.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:02 am

The 450D is a cracking bit of kit. I have just sold my 400D with the 17-85IS EF-S lens and I would say that of the two things you should consider adding to your collection the 17-85IS lens is one, or if you want to start smaller the 50mm f1.8 is a must have (unless you want to stretch to the f1.4, but that is quite a bit more).

One thing that I would say though if by FAR the most important part of your kit is you...learn to use it well. A great photographer with reasonable kit will always get better results than a poor photographer with magnificent kit.

Here's the f1.8 50mm... can't get better value for money really:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1 ... 3a5514393a
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme