Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension weight: TCK v.s. Stock

"M" Specific discussion
GP20

Suspension weight: TCK v.s. Stock

Post by GP20 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:24 am

Got my TCK front assemblies back today from Pete @ Tck. The front struts are newly built by Koni themselves. Previously, the struts made loud clunking noises over bumps/unsmooth roads but the struts were modified from the E36 M3 Koni yellow struts and hand-built by TrueChoice. These new TCK Koni struts are designed for the Z4M from the ground up and the lead time was 9 months for Koni to manufacture them. Are they gonna make the same clunking noises? I have no clue. Jury's still out and I'll find out soon. However, I weighed both the TCK coilovers & the stock suspensions today and here are the numbers I got.

TCK coilovers:
Double-adjustable strut (complete assembly including TCK camber plate): 12.32lbs
Single-adjustable shock+ spring + height adjuster: 8.36lbs

Stock suspension:
Strut + spring + strut hat (complete assembly): 16.94lbs
Shock + spring: 9.24lbs

Total weight saving by TCK: 11lbs

The difference might not seem big but given that this is 11lbs of unsprung weight and these components directly affect the car's handling characteristics, the weight difference is HUGE!
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

sixspeed

Re: Suspension weight: TCK v.s. Stock

Post by sixspeed » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:06 am

Looks good!

Looking forward to hearing how they perform.Coilovers will be coming for my car in 2008, but I don't really know which way to go yet... PSS9, TCK... or Nitron are developing a kit too...