Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Questions regarding AP brakes.

"M" Specific discussion
Blacklines

Questions regarding AP brakes.

Post by Blacklines » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:47 pm

Just wanted to check with some existing users.

1. Do you know which calipers are included in the kit? Is it CP 5575-1004 front and CP 5144-1003 rear?
2. Which pads are you using?
3. If you are using Pagid RS29's (my fav) which pad design have you gone for because there is none designed for this caliper on the Pagid website.
4. If you are using DS2500 how have you found them on the road and track?

Thank you for your help.

ChrisCSL

Re: Questions regarding AP brakes.

Post by ChrisCSL » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:57 am

With the AP brakes you buy the front and rears separately. They are the same types for the M3 CSL although they are various options. You're best off talking to Simpson Motorsport or Thorney Motorsport. Both are experts in BMW M brake upgrades.

I ran Pagid RS29's on my CSL. Most CSL owners with AP upgrade also ran these pads. They are amazing. You need to keep getting regular heat into them (plenty of hard braking from high speed and plenty of track days) or they will squeal like pigs.

Chris
Z4 M Coupe

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:38 am

Just bought some RS29s to go into my standard brakes for this weekend. Will do me for now. But APs (or those lovely ceramics, if I get a lottery win) are on the horizon next year...

Blacklines, speak to Simpsons. They will provide you with all the info you'll need, and can supply the Pagid's for the AP kit if you still need them.

Blacklines

Post by Blacklines » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:20 am

Thanks for that guys. AP in Coventry have responded to the same question.

Pagid do sell a pad that everyone fits in the calipers, however AP do not recommend it because the pad does not cover all of the disc depth. Disc depth 54mm and pad depth 51mm. I know this is not a big deal but it would be good to get things perfect.

I have noticed a huge difference in prices for the front and rear AP kits. Simpson will do front and rear with RS29's for about £500 less than Thorney.

Does anyone here run the Ferodo 2500 pad in AP brakes? If so how do you find it? How does it compare to the RS29?

Thanks.

ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:48 pm

Hi Blacklines
Most track driving CSL owners run with Pagid might be enough recommendation for you.

Sixspeed
You should find a great improvement on track with just the pads. Best bang for buck than the whole hog AP kit. Your car sounds pretty serious (hope to see it one day). If you are doing track days you'll also want to change your brake fluid to a 5.1 like mobil. Braded hoses give better feel but if you're considering the AP kit you can leave them for now and get them with the AP's if you upgrade in stages. Be prepared for brake squeal on the road.

I love the Carbon Fibre roof. My Z4MC is in silver/grey. I fancy the CF roof for my car to give it the CSL look.

Chris

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:54 pm

Thanks for the comments :) More than welcome to see it sometime if you're down South London/Surrey way?

Just finished bedding in the RS29s on the way to the 'Ring today - and they definately have a lot more bite to them. Looking forward to using them in earnest tomorrow, and at Spa on Monday :D

Go for the CF roof. It's fairly cheap with the exchange rate at the moment from the US, and I think it looks awesome. It is a bit of a scary job, cutting apart a brand new car, but if you have the right tools, it's pretty straight forward :)