Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clean and Shiny Z4M Coupe

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
MyNamesNotBob

Clean and Shiny Z4M Coupe

Post by MyNamesNotBob » Tue May 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi There,

This was meant to be a full write up of the recent detail on my Z4M, but due to a memory card fault I'm missing pretty much all of the interim shots showing the difference, so it's mainly just afters, but after all the effort I wanted to show it off a bit...
Detail took place over a number of days fitting in around other jobs and commitments, but was worth the effort in the end.
The car is kept pretty clean and tidy, and regularly waxed, but was in need of de swirling after some dealer inflicted swirls and general wear and tear.
This was how the car looked at the beginning, not bad for a 400 miler a week, but far from perfect:
First up was removal of the wheels to allow cleaning of the arches properly. First sprayed with Megs Super Degreaser cut 4:1, then after being left to soak sprayed with Megs APC cut 6:1:
This was then agitated:
Then rinsed and finally all plastic was dressed with Megs Hyper Dressing (10:1)
Wheels were then cleaned inside and out and sealed with Poorboys Wheel Sealant. No pics of the wheels as they were already well cleaned, and you all know the normal process
Next job was the engine bay. Engine bay was sprayed with Megs APC:
And agitated to remove stubborn areas of dirt, although I regularly keep on top of it so nothing major was needed.
Engine was then rinsed with water from a hand pressure sprayer and wiped down with MF's. Paintwork was polished with Poorboys Blackhole and then seamed with Poorboys EX-P.
Parts of the engine were then taped up for some more attention to the metal work, where they were polished with Autosol metal polish.
Whole car was then foamed with Megs APC:
Then washed with the 2 bucket method and a sheepskin mitt. Car was then clayed all over with Sonus green clay and Megs last touch as a lube.
Now at this point you would expect to see some during shots of the polishing etc, but as I said my memory card failed eating all of my pics :(

But the process was:

After claying, whole car was inspected with the worst of the swirling being on the back bumper and tailgate, measurements were taken and noted. Car was polished with PC rather than rotary and Lake Country pads.
Initially polishing was started with Menz Final Finish (PO 106 FA) on a light cutting pad, but that was having limited effect so stepped up to Intensive Polish (PO85RD 3.02) on a light cutting pad and eventually a heavy cut pad. This started to cut back sufficiently with Power Gloss only being needed to remove some wet sanding marks on a couple of stone chips. Once sufficient impact had been made on the swirls with the above combo, the whole car was polished again with PO 106FA to remove any previous marks after another foam and rinse.
Finally the car was glazed with Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite, and then sealed with Dodo Juice Rainforest rub. This sealant was repeated several times over the following few hours. Overall from claying through to sealant took around 17 hours of time all in...
Finally the interior was fully vacuumed and carpets wet vac'd. All surfaces were cleaned with APC (10:1) and left to dry naturally. Meanwhile seats were cleaned with Gliptone Leather Cleaner and the conditioned and left to dry. Finally the dash and plastics were dressed with Poorboys natural look dressing.
So some afters:

Interior:

Exterior:

Engine Bay:

Cheers, now off to try and recover the during shots...
Imola Red Z4MC Currently up for sale: CLICKY

playalistic

Re: Clean and Shiny Z4M Coupe

Post by playalistic » Tue May 03, 2011 3:18 pm

Beautiful. Nice write up too. :wub:

Slightly off-topic: Did you have any work done with SPS in the end?

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Tue May 03, 2011 3:22 pm

Looks stunning! The engine and interior look brand new. :thumbsup:
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

Markus

Post by Markus » Tue May 03, 2011 3:25 pm

Great job! There's something really satisfying about detailing your own car.

MyNamesNotBob

Post by MyNamesNotBob » Tue May 03, 2011 3:25 pm

playalistic wrote:Beautiful. Nice write up too. :wub:

Slightly off-topic: Did you have any work done with SPS in the end?
Cheers. Yes I had them take out the stone chips on the front of the car that had accumulated (many before I got it), I was getting a mark done on the front wing so decided to get the whole front end done in the end. Expensive but worth it I think.

DrNick

Post by DrNick » Tue May 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Stunning indeed.

You cant be far from me - now you have perfected the technique on yours, Ill drop mine round this evening for you and pick it up sometime tomorrow. Wont take quite as long as less metal, and more space under the bonnet compared to yours :thumbsup:
2007 Carbon Black 2.0 Sport + comfort pack + bluetooth - Loved and not forgotten!
2012 E89 Space Grey M Sport 2.0 Auto - need to update signature!

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Top work :thumbsup: love that engine bay very tidy :thumbsup:
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Hark

Post by Hark » Tue May 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Looks good mate, interior and engine bay looks superb.

A couple of questions.

When hosing off the engine did you tape anything up to stop water issues?

What did you use on the tail pipes? Autosol has made a difference on mine, but some stuff won't budge.

CHEAP HIGH SPEC 2007 Z4M for Sale http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2918727.htm

R26Andy

Post by R26Andy » Tue May 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi,

CAn I just ask, did you get any micro marring/hazing with the Intensive Polish (PO85RD 3.02) on the heavy cutting pad (also, what type of pad was it?)?

I recently used 203s (similar to 3.02) with a Menzerna white compounding pad (v.hard!) which sounds a similar level of cut to this and I got micro marring which I cant get out with a finishing pad/polish.

Did the PO 106FA take out the marring and what pad did you use it with?

I`m intending to go back over the car with a lighter cut pad (hex logic green) and the 203s to get out the micro marring and then back over again with a polishing pad again (hex logic white) and PO85RD (not to be confused with 3.02!) to finish.

Sorry for all the questions but your car is looking good and I`m hoping to achieve similar.

Cheers

Andy
FOR SALE: Z4C 3.0si Sport - Blue, 58, 40k miles, FBMWSH, 12m MOT, 6m tax, £11,700 - Sadly traded in and now for sale at the dealer for £12,991!

Tired of waterspots and streaks when washing the car?
http://www.waterspot-filters.co.uk/

Reggie-g75

Post by Reggie-g75 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Nice work... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3.0 si sport coupe '07; auto, carbon black, beige oregon interior, zenons, sat nav (with speed cameras!), bluetooth, heated seats, comfort pack, Parrot MKi9200, stubby (from b'ham) and maybe a few other bits....

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue May 03, 2011 10:21 pm

Cracking job, might have given me a bit of inspiration :thumbsup:

MyNamesNotBob

Post by MyNamesNotBob » Wed May 04, 2011 9:59 am

R26Andy wrote:Hi,

CAn I just ask, did you get any micro marring/hazing with the Intensive Polish (PO85RD 3.02) on the heavy cutting pad (also, what type of pad was it?)?

I recently used 203s (similar to 3.02) with a Menzerna white compounding pad (v.hard!) which sounds a similar level of cut to this and I got micro marring which I cant get out with a finishing pad/polish.

Did the PO 106FA take out the marring and what pad did you use it with?

I`m intending to go back over the car with a lighter cut pad (hex logic green) and the 203s to get out the micro marring and then back over again with a polishing pad again (hex logic white) and PO85RD (not to be confused with 3.02!) to finish.

Sorry for all the questions but your car is looking good and I`m hoping to achieve similar.

Cheers

Andy
I used a Lake Country Yellow Pad for cutting then followed with an orange pad for a second pass, and got very little marring left over. I did work the polish a long time though, and also sprayed with QD towards the end to keep the polish wet and really breaking it down. I then stepped down to PO 106 FA with a LC Orange pad, again working it for a long time, and did that for 2 full passes of polish, then for a few panels I finally finished with 85RD on a white pad (but to be honest this was a waste of time and added little). After that I had no marring that I can make out. But it did take a long time...

In the sun the polish was drying out quickly, and did take QD spraying to keep going.

I did have a lot harder job with the power gloss for obvious reasons, bet I kept these areas as small as possible to keep the risk lower.

As an aside I really hate the naming format Menz use, why can't they go for something like Megs or Poorboys!

You've probably seen it before, but this is a useful guide: http://www.menzerna.de/fileadmin/be_use ... polish.pdf

MyNamesNotBob

Post by MyNamesNotBob » Wed May 04, 2011 10:27 am

Hark wrote:Looks good mate, interior and engine bay looks superb.

A couple of questions.

When hosing off the engine did you tape anything up to stop water issues?

What did you use on the tail pipes? Autosol has made a difference on mine, but some stuff won't budge.
For the engine bay I didn't actually hose off, I used a hand pressure spray, something like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-pres ... yer%207Ltr

It makes like easier to control and doesn't throw loads of water into the bay. I did also covery up the alternator with some cling film just in case along with anything else that looked exposed and expensive.

As for tail pipes, I had previously done them before so this was a tidy up. But the steps I used when I first got it, and have used on other stainless pipes, this assumes dirty engrained and tarnished metal work:

First Wash with a strong soap like APC to get rid of the crud.

Then wheel cleaner to get rid of more ingrained stuff. Soak it properly, and then soak some fine grade wire wool with the wheel cleaner, and scrub - this will introduce marring but will be clean. This step I haven't seen others advocate too much, but it works for me, you may want to stick with APC - the thing is never let it dry. Then rinse, and rinse more, and again.

Now do the same with APC, just to make sure you removed the wheel cleaner.

The pipes should be clean now, and ready for polishing.

Get a pot wth very soapy water, and get some wet and dry paper (starting at 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and maybe 2000) - soak the paper in the soapy water.

Get a hand sprayer with a soapy solution in.

Now spray the metal pipe with the soapy spray and get the roughest paper and start polishing, keep spraying to keep wet until the paper looses it's cut. Repeat for all paper grades, you should now have a perfectly smooth finish but probably dull. Now get some very fine grade wire wool and autosol, and get polishing - it will quickly turn black. Buff up with a microfibre, you should have a shiny finish now. Repeat for more shine.

If you want a really shiny finish you could go to a dremel with a felt pad and plenty of polish either after the wirewool stage or instead of.

Also Megs NXT metal polish I think gives a slightly brighter shine IMO

R26Andy

Post by R26Andy » Wed May 04, 2011 12:22 pm

MyNamesNotBob wrote:
I used a Lake Country Yellow Pad for cutting then followed with an orange pad for a second pass, and got very little marring left over. I did work the polish a long time though, and also sprayed with QD towards the end to keep the polish wet and really breaking it down. I then stepped down to PO 106 FA with a LC Orange pad, again working it for a long time, and did that for 2 full passes of polish, then for a few panels I finally finished with 85RD on a white pad (but to be honest this was a waste of time and added little). After that I had no marring that I can make out. But it did take a long time...

In the sun the polish was drying out quickly, and did take QD spraying to keep going.

I did have a lot harder job with the power gloss for obvious reasons, bet I kept these areas as small as possible to keep the risk lower.

As an aside I really hate the naming format Menz use, why can't they go for something like Megs or Poorboys!

You've probably seen it before, but this is a useful guide: http://www.menzerna.de/fileadmin/be_use ... polish.pdf
Thanks mate, looks like I am on the right track with using the 203s on a light cutting pad to get the marring out (I`ll be using Hex-logic green which seems similar to LC orange). It was only the bonnet that needed a heavier cut and I ended up with marring. On the other panels with lighter swirls I used the 203s and hex green combo straight away and I am finding no need to use the 85RD afterwards as it finishes down great if worked well.

thanks again

Andy
FOR SALE: Z4C 3.0si Sport - Blue, 58, 40k miles, FBMWSH, 12m MOT, 6m tax, £11,700 - Sadly traded in and now for sale at the dealer for £12,991!

Tired of waterspots and streaks when washing the car?
http://www.waterspot-filters.co.uk/

MyNamesNotBob

Post by MyNamesNotBob » Wed May 04, 2011 12:31 pm

R26Andy wrote:
MyNamesNotBob wrote:

Thanks mate, looks like I am on the right track with using the 203s on a light cutting pad to get the marring out (I`ll be using Hex-logic green which seems similar to LC orange). It was only the bonnet that needed a heavier cut and I ended up with marring. On the other panels with lighter swirls I used the 203s and hex green combo straight away and I am finding no need to use the 85RD afterwards as it finishes down great if worked well.

thanks again

Andy
I had to pay more attention to the bonnet too, I put it down to it being such a vast area and I kept falling into the trap of making the working area bigger and bigger...

The other panels lend themselves to a smaller working area I think