Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New tyre info programme

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

New tyre info programme

Post by Carol M » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:14 pm

The tyre industry has begun to roll-out its largest ever customer information programme to deliver crucial cost and safety information to the UK’s 44 million motorists.
Each of the 35 million new tyres sold each year in the UK will have a label which will explain the fuel efficiency, safety and external noise level of the tyre, so motorists will now have a set of comparable data to make buying decisions easier.

(taken from Supagard's facebook page)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Re: New tyre info programme

Post by mmm-five » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:04 pm

Pity the 'safety' is only assessed on wet grip, and nothing about dry grip. So some 'trackday' tyres will get a 'G' rating :P

Here's the EC's page on the subject.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

cjp2k

Post by cjp2k » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Is this for new tyres only or will tyres currently on the market be tested?
Gone.....Z4 2.3 sDrive, Black, Black Leather, I drive, Sound upgrade and a couple more bits..6 cylinder symphony

Now 520d, Beige Leather, I drive, VDC, BMW Individual Wood trim, Memory Seats, Powered Boot...55mpg!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 am

cjp2k wrote:Is this for new tyres only or will tyres currently on the market be tested?
Supposedly any tyre that is sold from a certain date, whether brand new to the market, or an existing product.

It's supposed to partly be to help consumers with an easy-to-follow scale, but it's also there to stamp out the cheap 'ditchfinder' tyres that look fine, but don't work in UK wet conditions (that happen to make the tyre fitters a bigger margin than the premium brands).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

cjp2k

Post by cjp2k » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:42 pm

mmm-five wrote: Supposedly any tyre that is sold from a certain date, whether brand new to the market, or an existing product.

It's supposed to partly be to help consumers with an easy-to-follow scale, but it's also there to stamp out the cheap 'ditchfinder' tyres that look fine, but don't work in UK wet conditions (that happen to make the tyre fitters a bigger margin than the premium brands).

Ive been told a number of times "Nankang are great tyres"
Gone.....Z4 2.3 sDrive, Black, Black Leather, I drive, Sound upgrade and a couple more bits..6 cylinder symphony

Now 520d, Beige Leather, I drive, VDC, BMW Individual Wood trim, Memory Seats, Powered Boot...55mpg!

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:51 pm

cjp2k wrote:
mmm-five wrote: Supposedly any tyre that is sold from a certain date, whether brand new to the market, or an existing product.

Ive been told a number of times "Nankang are great tyres"
Depends on model: my Nankang winter tyres I use on the van over winter are indeed great tyres. Based on my experience of course, not on "being told a number of times". Agree their regular tyres fall firmly into the ditchfinder category though - didn't find ourselves in a ditch in my mates car but it was a close thing!
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

cjp2k

Post by cjp2k » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Our works van has ditchfinders on it and no ABS, that was fun in heavy rain, as I slid towards a roundabout :thumbsdown: