Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Chapman's Peak Drive !

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Bad_Pritt

Chapman's Peak Drive !

Post by Bad_Pritt » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Looking forward to this one... I'm going on holiday to South-Africa and we will have an MX-5 for a week in Capetown. I was advised to take the Chapman's Peak Drive as it would be one of the most beautiful roads in the world... :driving:

Anyone been there before? Any tips? :)

a340driver

Re: Chapman's Peak Drive !

Post by a340driver » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Have you already booked the MX5? I really recommend these guys and their Cobras:http://www.capecobrahire.co.za

Marco

Post by Marco » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:19 pm

"Chappies" is stunning, but even the roads leading up to it are amazing, the whole coast line is beautiful! You can't really go wrong with roads in Cape Town! I have loads of pics, I will try dig some out and post them for you. When are you going?

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 pm

a340driver wrote:Have you already booked the MX5? I really recommend these guys and their Cobras:http://www.capecobrahire.co.za

damn it! already booked :(

Were going mid november (first 2 weeks trip from Johannesburg to Cape Town)
leaving this monday :D

chris g

Post by chris g » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:26 am

We did those roads on a harley d that we rented for 2 weeks, stunning stunning road and amazing place to go.

there were rockfalls falls on that road that closed portions of the road, and forest fires when we were there, but we would go back in a heartbeat
[img][/]2007 2.5 si, dension, new sub woofers and amp, cup holders,mods on the list, sound gen, exhaust bypass, lsd, cruise retrofit.....

krusty

Post by krusty » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:48 am

It's a beautiful road ... can be dangerous - so take care too. I remember, many years ago, someone got it wrong ... and drove a Mercedes over the cliff ... and amazingly survived ... and Mercedes used that fact for advertising purposes.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:40 am

£113 per day for a Cobra... Man, I want to go 8)
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Maybe we might get a Cobra for a day... very much in doubt :-D

Marco

Post by Marco » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:18 pm

If you are driving from Johannesburg to Cape Town I presume you are doing the "Garden Route"? If not, you should consider it, some really lovely places to see and some awesome roads along the way. Do it over a few days and plan a stop in Knysna and some others along the way..

Marco

Post by Marco » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:21 pm

krusty wrote:It's a beautiful road ... can be dangerous - so take care too. I remember, many years ago, someone got it wrong ... and drove a Mercedes over the cliff ... and amazingly survived ... and Mercedes used that fact for advertising purposes.
I remember this advert from when I was a kid living in SA. Mercedes used it to show how strong their cars were, BMW's response was one of their cars on the same stretch of road being able to avoid the accident in the first place due to state of the art technology and being able to negotiate the bends in the road, and their slogan was:

BMW beats the Benz

Classic! :thumbsup: