Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Run Flat Choices

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Montjeu

Run Flat Choices

Post by Montjeu » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:18 pm

Appologies if this has been covered before, but at least I should get up to date info hopefully!

I realise it's heavily recommended to switch to non RFT, I've been waiting for my tyres to wear out. Lasted longer than I anticipated!

Now both my rears reported close to legal on MOT, got to get new boots.

But, I may need to sell the car soon. My plan was to get Vreds but selling the car with non RFTs isn't really on. Currently I have the OEM Bridgestones so I've been tramlining for almost two years :(

So the crux of my question, are there RFTs on the market that come close to matching good non RFTs like the Vred Ses? I'm looking to change all 4, budget circa £500.

Cheers

*Sizes might help! 225/40/R18 and 255/35/R18
Gone :(

ImageImage

Montjeu

Re: Run Flat Choices

Post by Montjeu » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:30 pm

OK, update I've had a rather impulsive moment and ordered a full set of vredestein ultrac sessanta for £426!

I figured for the sake of 400 or so quid at least I'd get the opportunity to finally experience the car how it is meant to feel hopefully :driving: . I'll have to cross the selling bridge if and when it comes!

ImageImage

Baza

Post by Baza » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:10 pm

Know the feeling, I changed to Vred Vorti's a year ago so just enjoy how the car should drive for as long as you keep it.I have my Bridgestone RFT's with plenty of mileage left wrapped up in the garage for when and if I sell in the future.For sure they won't go back on for me to drive.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

Montjeu

Post by Montjeu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:24 pm

I have officially joined the non-run flat club today 8)

The difference is immediate. Much smoother drive. Following advice, took it very easy on a brand new set of tyres.

I binned the rears, really uneven wear on the tread, 4mm on the insides yet 1mm on the outside. Fitters reckoned this was down to tyre pressures, but I'm skeptical about that as checked it quite regularly.

ImageImage

Montjeu

Post by Montjeu » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Went for a lovely A road drive today, the new tyres make the car drive absolutely awesome. It's still a hard/stiff enough ride, exactly as a sports car should be, however all the irritating bumps are gone. However it's absolutely awesome to drive now and it's amazing to have the confidence in the car I never really had before. It was a new road to me and I hit two 'invisible' compressions where I absolutely know that it would have given me near heart attacks and I would have had to urgently correct on the Bridgestone RFT. Just to be able switch lanes without having to correct is bloody amazing :)

ImageImage