Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New tyres - stopping in tonight

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
obewan

New tyres - stopping in tonight

Post by obewan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Bought my 08 Roadster last October - realised the rear tyres wouldn't last too long
Changed them today at 28,0000 miles on the original set (not bad I thought)

Chose Pirelli P Zero (RFT) through Black Circles at £464 fitted (minus £12 for going through Quidco)
Nice touch was the balance weights are white/silver so tone in pretty well.

You watch me get a puncture now!
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Re: New tyres - stopping in tonight

Post by ben g » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:20 am

Any particular reason you chose runflats again? Mine came without them and i've not yet felt the need to change back to oem spec tyres.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

obewan

Re: New tyres - stopping in tonight

Post by obewan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:47 am

Bit OCD really.
My point of view is that manufacturers spend an absolute fortune developing their cars.
So from a tyre point of view they look at sizes,camber, toe in/out, pressures, suspension etc etc
All with max performance or comfort in mind - whatever they want to achieve.

In the Zeds case, performance.
So my theory is, what experience/knowledge/resource have I got to challenge that?

Many on here say that the ride is better on non run flats - I'm not going to argue neither do I want to start another debate.
But the suspension is set up for run flats, I personally want the performance, that's why I bought the car and love driving it.
I couldn't care less about the comfort, tram-lining or twitchiness (only really noticed it on poorly maintained side roads, once on open roads it's fine)

I also took a look at BMW's You-Tube video comparing a 60 mph blowout with both types of tyre - decision made :D

Just my opinion for what it's worth - each to their own (no offence meant or digs at anyone - conscieous that a few threads have got a bit lively :) )
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport