Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gedo's progress thread

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
gedo

Gedo's progress thread

Post by gedo » Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Well I've had the car for 2 weeks now and thought I'd better start a progress thread. Not planning to make radical changes but any I do I'll update here.

I've bought a pair of facelift headlights from maxman so the 1st job will be to get these fitted as part of my de-tango work. Hope to get this done one evening next week weather permitting.

Gave the car it's 1st clean (by my hand) and it came up very well, a testament to the condition I received it in from it's previous owner - benmuir.
Loving the lines of the Z4 after 3 years with my previous toy, a widebody 2.8 Z3.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Gedo's progress thread

Post by Adamski » Sun May 18, 2014 7:20 pm

Nice and shiny, good lad :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Sun May 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Good work! Hope the lights you have are the black ones, look much better than silver imo!

gedo

Post by gedo » Sun May 18, 2014 7:27 pm

Yip, black interior. I'm not keen on the silver ones either, unless the car is silver of course. They're pretty much identical to my outgoing lights with the exception of the clear hockey sticks.
Just need to find someone selling clear rear lights now...
Sim_Simma wrote:Good work! Hope the lights you have are the black ones, look much better than silver imo!

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Sun May 18, 2014 7:29 pm

Looks very shiney :thumbsup:
70 plate Z4 M40i - Alphine White, Magma Red trim plus all the toys and an OAP behind the wheel :D
Gone 62 Z4 35is sDrive Auto in white with 169K miles

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 pm

gedo wrote:Yip, black interior. I'm not keen on the silver ones either, unless the car is silver of course. They're pretty much identical to my outgoing lights with the exception of the clear hockey sticks.
Sim_Simma wrote:Good work! Hope the lights you have are the black ones, look much better than silver imo!

Clear rear lights available from here. Only 14.90 euros postage from Germany.
All the lot.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ruckleuchten- ... 41813a4a63

Just the rears.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ruckleuchten- ... 3f361b0701
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Sun May 18, 2014 10:50 pm

gedo wrote:Yip, black interior. I'm not keen on the silver ones either, unless the car is silver of course. They're pretty much identical to my outgoing lights with the exception of the clear hockey sticks.
ahh glad to hear it! Looking forward to that particular transformation!

gedo

Post by gedo » Sun May 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Hmm. Not too keen on all clear at the back. Would like to keep the red lenses and just lose the amber sections. Not sure if this is possible so a bit of research is in order...
Russ59 wrote: Clear rear lights available from here. Only 14.90 euros postage from Germany.
All the lot.

Just the rears.

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:12 pm

gedo wrote:Hmm. Not too keen on all clear at the back. Would like to keep the red lenses and just lose the amber sections. Not sure if this is possible so a bit of research is in order...
Russ59 wrote: Clear rear lights available from here. Only 14.90 euros postage from Germany.
All the lot.

Just the rears.
People mask the centre indicator and tint the surround with red tint spray then clear laquer.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Sun May 18, 2014 11:38 pm

Would facelift rear lights be an option? Takes years of the rear end imo!

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:42 pm

Sim_Simma wrote:Would facelift rear lights be an option? Takes years of the rear end imo!

That would also require bumper change.

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Mon May 19, 2014 12:33 am

Russ59 wrote:
Sim_Simma wrote:Would facelift rear lights be an option? Takes years of the rear end imo!

or slight modification ;)

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:30 pm

Sim_Simma wrote:
Russ59 wrote:

or slight modification ;)

Ahh so a bumper change isn't necessary?
What mod needs to be done to prefacelift bumper?

gedo

Post by gedo » Mon May 19, 2014 6:05 pm

I'm sure I've seen a thread on here covering the install of new lights on a pre-facelift rear bumper. You probably just need a good body shop and a bit of faith. It's a bit extreme in my case as I don't mind the pre-facelift bumper/lights I'd just like to get rid of the amber which looks a bit dated.
Russ59 wrote: Ahh so a bumper change isn't necessary?

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:24 pm

gedo wrote:I'm sure I've seen a thread on here covering the install of new lights on a pre-facelift rear bumper. You probably just need a good body shop and a bit of faith. It's a bit extreme in my case as I don't mind the pre-facelift bumper/lights I'd just like to get rid of the amber which looks a bit dated.
Russ59 wrote: Ahh so a bumper change isn't necessary?

Then this is the way to go. Which is what I'm looking at.

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 97#p515848

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-TECH-TAIL-H ... 2eb81bc9f8