Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M Track Mode enabled on Z4MR

"M" Specific discussion
Bombardino

Post by Bombardino » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:43 am

I’m still keen to have it programmed so if there’s anybody with the knowledge & software that can help me out I would br most appreciative.

Superzetti

Post by Superzetti » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:42 pm

I activated also the M-Track mode (and some other functions) on my Z4M roadster 4 years before and it's really a very good improvement for the Z4M. Some friends enjoy also this mode on their Z4M. :wink:
You have a little more control on your car and this is really pleasant that the DSC is not braking your pleasure in every curve.
- Press the DSC button shortly, you get the M-track mode activated with the "DTC = Dynamic Traction Control" control light on.
- Press the DSC button 2-3 seconds and the DSC will be completely disabled, with the corresponding control light on.
- Press again the DSC button and the full DSC will be again enabled.
Nobody could see this change on the car and BMW would never check this during maintenance, because all of our Z4M are out of warranty.

I did this also remotely some weeks before.
The shortest way between 2 points is a curve!
2015 - 2020: BMW Z4 ///M Roadster Interlagos blue - extended leather Sepang Bronze - nearly full options - M-Track enabled
2008 - 2014: BMW Z3 2.8i Roadster Boston green

maupineda

Post by maupineda » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:50 pm

I have general question, is this really an MTM, or just a traction control/esp on mode. which is not necessarily the same as the MTM is a specific calibration of the DSC, not just TC off.

Superzetti

Post by Superzetti » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:51 pm

I can simply answer that I could not imagine, still driving the Z4M without this mode on wending roads.
Feeling the rear axe working on the road is so a great feeling.
You may drive the car by yourself and not longer only getting what this old software is "thinking".
You drive your car and you are not longer driven from this panic electronic.
And I tested it also ln the Nürburgring and on another track. I love it, this is making the Z4 great again. :roll:
On the Z4M it can be really considered as a M-Track modus. Simply ask all the people who did get this mode activated from me.
The shortest way between 2 points is a curve!
2015 - 2020: BMW Z4 ///M Roadster Interlagos blue - extended leather Sepang Bronze - nearly full options - M-Track enabled
2008 - 2014: BMW Z3 2.8i Roadster Boston green

maupineda

Post by maupineda » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm

I am not critiquing, I have this feature coded in my car and I agree it makes it better as you still have DSC to help if things go out of control. Just asking we call it something it ain't.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 am

Unless it's wet, I will drive with DSC fully off.

This was my last experience of DSC, and the only time I've needed it. I think it was confused by the amount of water on the road, as the light didn't start flashing until I was at 90º, 2 lanes across and about to travel another 90º and 2 lanes to the inside barrier. But it did absolutely nothing to help...possibly made it worse by trying to brake an aquaplaning vehicle?

For such 'minor' looking damage, the total bill (ex vat) was close to £14k - and would have been written off had the other costs not been realised until later in the repair (i.e. diff, 2nd trailing arm & mismatched tyres - for about £4k extra).

Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 am

mmm-five wrote:Crunch :cry:
A few years ago, I did a graceful 180 degree pirouette when I hit standing water whilst travelling in a straight line at around 50 mph with the DSC switched on. Fortunately, there was nothing to hit, so I escaped with the car unharmed.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Babw

Post by Babw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:44 am

Standing water is the antithesis of all DSC, traction, tyre and braking technologies though. At least BMW's tend to kind of understeer in a straight line whereas Porsches seem to try and pirouette as soon as they see a puddle.

Only car I can drive with some confidence over standing water is a GTR and I don't think that has anything to do with the 4wd system but it's so heavy that moments of aquaplaning tend to be a lot shorter than lighter cars.

Huzee4

Post by Huzee4 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:51 am

mmm-five wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 am Unless it's wet, I will drive with DSC fully off.

This was my last experience of DSC, and the only time I've needed it. I think it was confused by the amount of water on the road, as the light didn't start flashing until I was at 90º, 2 lanes across and about to travel another 90º and 2 lanes to the inside barrier. But it did absolutely nothing to help...possibly made it worse by trying to brake an aquaplaning vehicle?

For such 'minor' looking damage, the total bill (ex vat) was close to £14k - and would have been written off had the other costs not been realised until later in the repair (i.e. diff, 2nd trailing arm & mismatched tyres - for about £4k extra).

:o
Attachments
F959AB4C-1129-4EA6-8056-9EB2D9894A3B.jpeg (186.81 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Steve

E85 2.5 SE Maldives blue
E89 20i Estoril blue
E89 35iS Alpine White ( Current Zed )

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 am
mmm-five wrote:Crunch :cry:
A few years ago, I did a graceful 180 degree pirouette when I hit standing water whilst travelling in a straight line at around 50 mph with the DSC switched on. Fortunately, there was nothing to hit, so I escaped with the car unharmed.
Mine was at about the same speed - and I'd already done 100 miles in the same conditions...without incident. It was the fact that some knob decided that 4 lanes of 50mph traffic was to slow for him and went to zig & zag his way through - unfortunately realising at the last minute that lane 4 was flooded and braked as he realised...which caused me to brake and triggered the whole thing.

I was very lucky - as I went from lane 4 of the M6 to the hard shoulder, in peak time traffic, and only hit the barrier (facing the wrong way of course) :P

Drove it the wrong way up the motorway for about 50 yards to the emergency refuge and called the HATO people so that I could do a U-turn.
Trigger’s Z4MC

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Huzee4 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:51 am:o
Impact felt very minor at the time, and I thought I'd almost escaped completely...until that 5-10mph crunch into the barrier/kerb at the side of the hard shoulder.
Trigger’s Z4MC

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:30 pm

maupineda wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm I am not critiquing, I have this feature coded in my car and I agree it makes it better as you still have DSC to help if things go out of control. Just asking we call it something it ain't.
I think the clue is in the coding, I seem to remember switching from "nicht activ" to "activ" on the laptop, and in the software that was identical to e46 M3. And so we can presume it's the same as M-track?

maupineda

Post by maupineda » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:04 pm

^^ I came across another topic that compared E46 M3 DSC settings against a CSL file, and there are other parameter values other than TDR. Being different chassis I dont think we can just copy those over, I mean, we can, but they are for a different vehicle platform. so without properly adjusting the system, for us Z4M users, is nothing but a DTC mode, not MTM. The CSL DSC allowed for more slip angle in addition to turning traction control off (DTC).

philipw

Post by philipw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:50 pm

maupineda wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:04 pm ^^ I came across another topic that compared E46 M3 DSC settings against a CSL file, and there are other parameter values other than TDR. Being different chassis I dont think we can just copy those over, I mean, we can, but they are for a different vehicle platform. so without properly adjusting the system, for us Z4M users, is nothing but a DTC mode, not MTM. The CSL DSC allowed for more slip angle in addition to turning traction control off (DTC).
I think you are correct. In order to enable MTM on an M3 the under/oversteer coefficients need to be amended along with other settings detailed below. The Z4M does not have the same settings and more importantly the settings are tailored to the E46 chassis so are unlikely to perfectly suit the Z4M. I tried to change the settings on the MK60 last year without success, NCS Expert would crash at coding execute providing coapi 2060 error code which is for faulty coding (general).

E46 M3 CSL values presented with default Z4M values in brackets:
PRE_MSR (pre engine drag torque control) = aktiv (nicht_aktiv)
BAUART_MK60 (model variant) = csl [M_roadster]
TRAKTIONDIFFERENZREGELUNG (DTC) = aktiv (nicht_aktiv)
DRUCKMODELL_HINTERACHSE (pressure model rear axle, I assume this links to settings for the rear brakes) = type_3 (typ_0) [type_0,1,2 available]
UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_1_2 (oversteer friction coefficient) = type_11 (type_16) [1-16 available]
UNTERSTEUERSCHWELLE_2 (understeer threshold) = type_04 (type_00) [00-06 available]
UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_1_2 (understeer friction coefficient) = type_03 (type_01) [00 to 02 available]
LENKWINKELKENNLINIE_2 (steering angle) = type_04 (type_00) [00, 01, 02, 05 available]

To summarise, I agree with what you stated above. Without modifying the above values, we have just enabled the option to deactivate DTC while keeping DSC active, MTM is not enabled.
08 Carbon Black M Coupe

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:30 am

Anyway, at the end of the day this does the same job as M-Track on the M3 CSL.