Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Changing the Windshield Cowl

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
igeak691

Changing the Windshield Cowl

Post by igeak691 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:42 pm

It's been awhile since I've been on this forum.. I just changed the windshield cowl in case anyone wants a quick video on how to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avGqPcCZCN8
YouTube channel with car vlogs in my zed!
Please subscribe and share my videos with fellow enthusiasts!

igeak691

Re: Changing the Windshield Cowl

Post by igeak691 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:22 pm

Here's a video for the trim replacement to make your windshield area look spanking new :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIDZqw3XFM

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:40 am

i dont need to do this, and i hope i never will, HOWEVER, great video and if i ever do need to do it ill happily do it myself thanks to these awesome vids, keep up the good work :D

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:22 am

Thanks. I remember buying the car like this, and thinking.. hey that doesn't look THAT bad. It came to nag at me over the past year and a half ownership of the car that I HAD to fix it. Was $220 total in parts, so while not cheap, think it will help with resale value of car in the future.

Gotta to valve gasket replacement next, that should be fun. Only $20 out in parts for that one.

Toe-side

Post by Toe-side » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:14 am

:thumbsup: Nice video/s
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks for taking time to film and post these videos. I'm sure they will help many members in the future
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:57 pm

Great vids.
It seems US cars really suffer badly with the sun you guys get. It will only be a matter of time until more UK cars get this way though. My wing mirror bases are a lovely shade of light grey.... Got some GTechniqs C4 to try on them when the weather improves.
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Good video. I've had mine off to clean up the area underneath which collects an insane amount of leaves and dirt. Very worthwhile job.

Regarding the windshield trim, i've had my windshield replaced twice and both times the fitter said it was impossible to remove the trim without removing the glass.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Perhaps they are talking about the trim beneath the windshield. There are two trims that sandwich the windshield.. the one replaced in the video can simply be pulled out and replaced. Any garage however, will probably change both, and tell you the windshield needs to be taken off aka more money in their pockets.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:17 pm

What? I Watched the fitter replaced the windscreen and trim around it and the trim ''clips'' on to the glass before it is then placed into it's seating area. It has 2 vertical parts and one horizontal part that goes across the top of the screen. This is what you were talking about replacing at the end of the video.

The trim below it is called a scuttle panel in the UK and is a completely seperate item. I'm not talking about that here.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:31 pm

I have some C4 which is going on tomorrow and I am considering whether to put it on the rubbers as well. From their promo vid I don't think it will do any harm but they don't actually say it is okay for rubber.

Anyone try C4 on rubber?

Will I be the guinea pig? :? :|

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:01 am

Ben G, are you meaning to say that the windshield does indeed have to be removed to replace the trim? :?

sorry, haven't heard of C4 before, but any rubber or trim protection will probably work just fine. It gives it a nice deep black color and will keep it from fading and cracking over time.

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:02 am

Ben G, take a look at the first reply in this thread.. it is a follow up video where I replace the trim without removing the windshield :)