Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Temperature Gauge. E85 3.0

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:00 am

BigDaddy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:19 pm Ah bugger. To be fair it apparently it is a new stat but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s knackered anyway. The last owner put radweld/ k seal/ possibly both in the cooling system to cure a leaking hose (numbnut) and I’ve been flushing it out since so maybe it has bollocksed the stat up. I’ve never done this but isn’t it possible to boil them and see if they open and close in a pan of water?
The idea of boiling is to see if they open early. It's harder to do that these days as the moving bit is barely visible, buried in the block of pipes it lives in. You might be able to pour various temperatures of water in and see if it comes out through the outlet. If it's new (and a decent make) then I'd reckon it's got some gunk blocking it.

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:35 pm I'm not convinced as I'm on my 5th that sits a bit below half-way.
Then you've had many with knackered stats! How much is a bit? Mine looks very slightly like the needle is crooked by the smallest smidge if I'm being fussy, but nothing that stands out a mile. But (for water gauges) it should basically stay dead still once warmed up unless things are going badly wrong.

My current MC is actually oil temperature and has numbers on! It tends to settle at 75 degrees whereas mid-way is 100. And if the thermostat was faulty it wouldn't stop the temperature getting up after over 300 miles!
Oil temperature never gets close to water temperature and is reported accurately (apples v oranges.) However, water temp can easily stay cool no matter how far you drive if the stat is stuck open.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » Fri May 03, 2024 5:51 pm

Fitted a new thermostat today. Temperature gauge now sits in the middle. Thanks for advice smorris.
2004 E85 3.0 Sterling Grey