Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Toyota Supra V8 build

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Toyota Supra V8 build

Post by Marlon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Jaw wrote:love a supra build! Would have loved to have gone v8 with mine but with the abundance of monaros here it works out cheaper to buy a dog of a monaro for v8 thrills rather than transplant into a supe, so going the build 2j route
Monaro - 380 bhp :evil: 12 mpg urban :o
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2dogs » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:16 pm

My run about is a gs430 and as you say it a great v8,
So I take it yours will be auto or is their a manual box that will fit to it?
Blue Z4MC - now gone

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 am

it is a great engine and very compact and light weight for its size. We are converting ours to coil on plug from a distributor set up.
We are cutting the bell housing off the auto box. And then cutting a 5 speed BMW box and welding them together. We are having to use a modified flywheel but it should be a simple job. Just lots of measuring twice and cutting once!!!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2dogs » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:31 pm

Machine monkey wrote:it is a great engine and very compact and light weight for its size. We are converting ours to coil on plug from a distributor set up.
We are cutting the bell housing off the auto box. And then cutting a 5 speed BMW box and welding them together. We are having to use a modified flywheel but it should be a simple job. Just lots of measuring twice and cutting once!!!
I like the "should" :lol: why an BMW box and not a Toyota?
Blue Z4MC - now gone

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:48 pm

2dogs wrote:
Machine monkey wrote:it is a great engine and very compact and light weight for its size. We are converting ours to coil on plug from a distributor set up.
I like the "should" :lol: why an BMW box and not a Toyota?
When doing this type of work it's always a should. And when you realise how you should have done it! Well it's too late and you have to buy another!!

Why BMW it's been done the dimensions work and the gearbox is strong. It's been proven to take the torque and BHP.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

philip27

Post by philip27 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Very cool project looks like it will be a bit of a beast.

Big fan of Supra's the only Toyota sports car I have not owned. Had various Celicas and MR2s before getting into Z4 ownership.

Best of the luck can't wait to see it finished.
Went to the dark side Porsche Cayman 987s
Crimson Red E89 23i - :(
Maldives Blue E85 2.5i - Sold :(

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks Philip it is a cool car and as we are moving on with it i wish it was mine more and more.

So a bit of an update. The car is now fully painted and ready for rebuilding. I dont have those pictures available as Chris is withholding them until he has updated his blog. You cant blame him for that his blog is as much of the fun as the build.

I didn't spend as much time up there as i was expecting. But i did chip in and help. I spent a day with another friend Robbie the ninja Spark wiring the workshop not finished but much better. It will be supper posh (for a DIY workshop) very soon.

The car then...
Well we cut out much of the rear wheel arches and folded harmed and welded them back together. This was done as the car is running rear over arches. And the rear quarters had been damaged badly on both sides anyway. The idea behind this is when a wheel blows - de laminates there is more room in the arch. You can also fit bigger wider wheels and run the car lower if you wanted-needed too.
We then fitted the new rear over arches. Yes you can see the rivets!! Its a track car after all. If one is damaged you buy a new one dill out the rivets and fit the new arch pre drilled and painted. A days work tops.

After that it was a bit of test fitting the engine and plenum
As you can see the engine sits right back over the axle witch can only be good.
The next picture shows the plenum sitting far to high. have modded the engine mounts to get the engine lower as low as we can. But it still might be too high. So a bonnet bulge or Mad Max style cut in the bonnet might be required.
The engine mounts

And then we got the car in the booth for masking and priming. I have to be 100% honest hear this was 90% all Chris.

Monkey

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Keep the updates coming!
Simon's Ruby Black Z4 MC Journal
viewtopic.php?t=70563

E36 M3 Evolution - Individual Journal
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=209427

The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel!

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:43 pm

Good Stuff Mat,

Can't wait to see it finished :)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:24 pm

I will do i should be able to post finished paint pictures by the end of the week. And we are putting the engine in for another test fit this weekend. And then cutting the bonnet if it needs it (I think it will) Then we are just waiting on some gearbox/clutch bits and the engine gearbox will go in and stay in.

After that its simple stuff like building an exhaust system. Wiring the whole thing and getting a custom prop shaft made :rofl:

Liam-O

Post by Liam-O » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:56 am

Looking very nice Matt. Can you reveal the colour? Any 2 colour themes going on with decals etc or just one colour?
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:21 pm

No crazy paint just one solid colour. Its blue but not the same as mine.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Just epic :thumbsup:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Thanks Sars form an engineer that means a lot :thumbsup:

Each bank will be getting a little t28 running about a bar of boost. Our numbers and other peoples logic = around 500bhp and mountains of torque. The turbo set up is especially interesting for me. As we have the same thing planed for my z4 hopefully with similar results.

ba3bas

Post by ba3bas » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:58 pm

How have I missed this.

Awesome Matt.

You boys should be very proud. Living the dream in my eyes
Untitled by Ba3bas, on Flickr