Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Items to check on Z4MC before purchase

"M" Specific discussion
MarkW

Items to check on Z4MC before purchase

Post by MarkW » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:58 pm

OK, well i'm off to sign on the dotted line tomorrow... excited and nervous at the same time

I'm going to test drive the car again, and visually give it a good going over to make sure everything works and there are no defects I haven't spotted etc.

Is there anything in particular I should be checking or looking out for? The car is still under warranty so I should still be able to get things sorted, but as its from a non BMW dealer I would prefer to know that everything is in full working order when i drive it away next week. They are going to sort out a few paint scuffs and the wheels for me at the moment.

Thanks
Mark
Z4 2.0i sDrive TVR Tamora Audi S3 Saloon

vinny09

Re: Items to check on Z4MC before purchase

Post by vinny09 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:15 am

As per another thread here, make sure it's had the proper service history - especially the 1,200 mile running in service.

Also worth checking to make sure the emergency puncture repair kit is there (under the battery cover in the boot) - as you know the Z4M has no spare tyre so if it's had a flat this might have been used.

Enjoy!
2006 Z4 M Coupe - Black Sapphire, Sepang Bronze interior

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:40 am

- Motor Mounts - broken or loose bolts
- Strut Tower Firewall Braces - loose connections at firewall
- Rear Sway Bar Bushings/Connections
- TSB on fuel pump wiring harness in Boot
- Syncromesh problems between 1st & 2nd - run it hard and shift between 6K & 7.5K a number of times
- Rear Diff Noise - shims out of place
- Paint imperfections - bonnet most reported

Just a few things I'm aware of to check - look close at door and bonnet alignment too - there were some factory issues including window sealing.

Enjoy - It's one fantastic car :thumbsup:
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS

scotia_steve74

Post by scotia_steve74 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:13 pm

Bodywork:

Wheel arches, bumpers and alignment of panels.

I turned down the offer of one dealer car due to a parking dent!

daz05

Post by daz05 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Sorry to hijack, but my diff is making noises in car parks and on sharp turns, like grinding almost. Had it into the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything wrong but very occasionally I am getting a rubbing noise when turing sharp corners etc and its doing my head in.

Can you give me more info on the shims issue?

scotia_steve74

Post by scotia_steve74 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Normal with LSD's on full lock, anything else nope...

daz05

Post by daz05 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:05 pm

Cheers Steve, its not really a full lock issue its even happening on some roundabouts. Really annoying I hope my diff doesn't have the wrong oil in it, its got a full BMWS and was an AUC car bought late 2008. Still plenty of warranty left.

Dragonsbreath

Post by Dragonsbreath » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:25 pm

MarkW wrote:OK, well i'm off to sign on the dotted line tomorrow... excited and nervous at the same time

I'm going to test drive the car again, and visually give it a good going over to make sure everything works and there are no defects I haven't spotted etc.

Is there anything in particular I should be checking or looking out for? The car is still under warranty so I should still be able to get things sorted, but as its from a non BMW dealer I would prefer to know that everything is in full working order when i drive it away next week. They are going to sort out a few paint scuffs and the wheels for me at the moment.

Thanks
Mark
Ensure that you are given:

1. Locking Wheel Nut Key.
2. Piss poor 3 item "Tool Kit"
2. Leather "M" Folder containing all Booklets - including the M" supplement.
4. All warranty documents!! :headbang:

scotia_steve74

Post by scotia_steve74 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:03 pm

daz05 wrote:Cheers Steve, its not really a full lock issue its even happening on some roundabouts. Really annoying I hope my diff doesn't have the wrong oil in it, its got a full BMWS and was an AUC car bought late 2008. Still plenty of warranty left.
Sounds like a dealer needs a look... Could be the oil level or something like that...

Another thing to look for - TOW EYE SCREW IN UNIT! Just had to get my dealer to order one as there was none!

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:44 am

Everyone here made excellent points :thumbsup: I just like to add .... You may have seen the link in Alan's signature (he is a Moderator here) it lists excellent points if you purchase a used car like the Z.

Check it out here ---- > http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21281
2012 M3 with all options. My Last Car was a 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i
Have a Great Day! ............... Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:57 am

Make sure it has a proper roof. You don't want to buy a roadster by accident. :wink:

My car is missing it's screw in towing eye too, keep meaning to order one, are they silly prices?

mikem7709

Post by mikem7709 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:11 am

Check the rear heated window, if one of th elements is damaged it needs a complete roof to replace it. It isn't covered under extended or AUC warranty, I got mine done as goodwill as I'd not had the car long when I spotted it but when the dealer checked on their system they'd done 11 others over a 3 yr period for the same reason.

Darren M

Post by Darren M » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:44 am

daz05 wrote:Cheers Steve, its not really a full lock issue its even happening on some roundabouts. Really annoying I hope my diff doesn't have the wrong oil in it, its got a full BMWS and was an AUC car bought late 2008. Still plenty of warranty left.
It's a common thing apparently but not a problem. The dealers can use a different rear diff oil to help suppress the noise if it's an issue for you. Mine does it but I elected not to use the special oil as it may dampen the efficiceny/effectiveness of the diff although this is speculation rather than fact. But if the oil was better, surely they would use it in all M's but they don't, it has to be requested.
I'm surpised your dealers didn't find this information.
Current 2011 X1 2.0d xDrive
2006 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos with Light Sepang interior - GONE 08/2012 - PY56 GH* - where now?
2006 Z4 Si Coupe - Montego blue - GONE approx 05/2009 - WJ56 YU* - where now?