Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hi from a Newbie (no longer) looking for a 3L Z4

First port of call for new members
LordOxygen

Hi from a Newbie (no longer) looking for a 3L Z4

Post by LordOxygen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Hello everyone
I've just joined having finally got approval of sorts from my other half to buy "us" a fun weekend car to break the monotony of driving a 4 pot diesel saloon up and down the m40 each day to work.
I'm 6'5 and have very recently sat in a Z4 to make sure I fit OK which I do. With that out of the way, next up is finding a car. Got between £4K and £6K to spend so looking at old high mileage ones, I like very tidy interiors so will no doubt take time to find the right one, but would like to have a car on the drive by April. On balance I think i'd prefer to buy private from an enthusiast, depends what turns up I guess. It has to be a manual 3.0L.

Is there a buyers guide on the forum or a list of things to look out for when sizing up a car? I've had a look around but can't find one.
Also, do they all have the sport mode button?
Cheers
Last edited by LordOxygen on Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WE88Y

Hi from a Newbie looking for a 3L Z4

Post by WE88Y » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:08 pm

LordOxygen wrote:Hello everyone
I've just joined having finally got approval of sorts from my other half to buy "us" a fun weekend car to break the monotony of driving a 4 pot diesel saloon up and down the m40 each day to work.
I'm 6'5 and have very recently sat in a Z4 to make sure I fit OK which I do. With that out of the way, next up is finding a car. Got between £4K and £6K to spend so looking at old high mileage ones, I like very tidy interiors so will no doubt take time to find the right one, but would like to have a car on the drive by April. On balance I think i'd prefer to buy private from an enthusiast, depends what turns up I guess. It has to be a manual 3.0L.

Is there a buyers guide on the forum or a list of things to look out for when sizing up a car? I've had a look around but can't find one.
Also, do they all have the sport mode button?
Cheers
Graham.
I recently got a similar approval although I will be using a Z4 as a daily drive.

When i first posted in the forum looking for a Z4 the guys helped me out by posting this guide: https://goo.gl/Q66MB5

Im still searching although I am hoping to wrap up a purchase pretty soon.. From what i understand all 3.0L engines have a sport button, Although some of the 2.5's don't. (correct me if I am wrong! :D )

Good luck with the search!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi and welcome.
I tell everyone i see here who's looking to buy about the importance of getting hold of a bmw-specific obd scanner in order to scan every potential purchase.
It could be hiding a multitude of issues, sins and electrical gremlins that a visual inspection and test drive won't show up.
Apart from that and with your budget you should eventually be able to source a decent zed.
Heated seats and cruise control are nice-to-haves but not essential, as well as satnav, xenons and a decent stereo.
The roof motor relocation to the boot is a very good and popular (here) preventive maintenance measure and i'm sure someone will come along and post the relevant thread link. You could search it yourself ofc.
I bought a nicely specced '03 3.0i SE roadie with 100k for less than 4k knowing it had a few small issues to sort and got the price down further after an obd scan threw up some fault codes.
If you're interested i documented the issues and diy repairs over on this gargantuan thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90194

Oil leaks are quite common in cars which havent had the cam cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, sump gasket replaced and if theres any evidence of an oil leak at the main seal between engine and gearbox walk away.
Gearboxes are strong if theyve been looked after although theyre a bit notchy when cold.

Brake lines corrode and the front suspension components are a hotspot for mot failures.

Surprised you havent found any as theres usually loads to choose from at that price.
Try gumtree and pistonheads as well as autotrader.

Good luck with the search!
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:32 pm

Welcome to the forum, you could opt for a notchy manual or a smooth as silk auto, what ever you end up with, we will need to see photos to prove you own it. Up and down the M40 you say??, where do you live, as plenty of members along the M40 corridor, so maybe see if you can get a ride in a couple of different cars, to get feel for what you want.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:38 pm

If your budget is £4 to 6k i take your lookng at basic 3.0i SE models. Why not go for a Sport with better spec. The newer 2.5si is same performance as older 3.0i SE their on par. I know owned both. This is a facelift model too, new alloys few months ago and its saphire black.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222367516474? ... 1555.l2649

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your search. This thread may help. :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21281

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome and extra info.
It's gotta be a manual, my daily drive is an Auto (a first for me) and for that reason alone I don't want another.
I've no doubt at all the M52 2.5L engine is as strong in real world driving, however I've always fancied a 3L IL6, having been in a friend's 330s over the years, so that's what I'm going to aim for this time, a 2.5 would just niggle away at the back of my mind. Wrong I know but there you are. The one above on ebay does look very nice though.
Last edited by LordOxygen on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:46 pm

I got a budget price for insurance earlier, seems reasonable enough, 5K miles approx £220 fully comp.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:07 pm

LordOxygen wrote:Thanks for the welcome and extra info, I live near Oxford.
It's gotta be a manual, my daily drive is an Auto (a first for me) and for that reason alone I don't want another.
I've no doubt at all the M52 2.5L engine is as strong in real world driving, however I've always fancied a 3L IL6, having been in a friend's 330s over the years, so that's what I'm going to aim for this time, a 2.5 would just niggle away at the back of my mind. Wrong I know but there you are. The one above on ebay does look very nice though.
Welcome OP! :thumbsup:

I can see why you would want a manual, and there is nothing wrong with insisting on a 3 litre - at least it means you won't start wondering "what if?" in a few months' time! (I didn't have to decide as I specifically wanted a Coupe, and they only came in 3 litre facelift or M flavour)!

FWIW the first one I looked at was an SE, and I couldn't even consider buying a car like a Z4 with SE seats - so I ended up going for a Sport as they have "Sport" seats as standard. You'll see what I mean if you find photos of both!

The guides on here are really helpful, and from time to time members' cars appear for sale so as you have a little time hopefully one you like will pop up.

Good luck with your search, and don't forget to post photos when you have your new toy!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:40 am

Welcome to the forum :)

standard Sport seats:

M Sport Seats :thumbsup:

Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:13 am

Marlon wrote:
standard Sport seats:

I think I would call the first image "standard" (or SE) seats, given that there is nothing remotely sporty about them!

And the second image shows "Sport" seats - don't forget "M-Sport" hadn't quite been invented in the E85/E86 era despite the stickers on the wheels, steering wheel, etc.!

"M-Sport" was reserved for E9* 318s, 114ds and similar sporting legends!! :headbang:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:59 am

Pm'd mate :)
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:45 am

I can see what you mean about the seats, the sport ones do look much better. Thing is, I'm tall (6'5), and I need every inch of leg room (length and width) I can get, past experience of hatchback bucket type seats suggest I'll not be too happy due to the high seat bolsters. I need to sit on one with those sport seat to be sure. We will potentially take 2 hour drives in the car so it's got to be comfortable.
Have to say The SE I sat in the other day felt OK widthwise with the seat on all the down and back limits.

Need to start seeing some more cars once it's warmed up a bit outside, the lighter evenings will help as well.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:37 am

Mr Tidy wrote:
Marlon wrote:
standard Sport seats:

I think I would call the first image "standard" (or SE) seats, given that there is nothing remotely sporty about them!

And the second image shows "Sport" seats - don't forget "M-Sport" hadn't quite been invented in the E85/E86 era despite the stickers on the wheels, steering wheel, etc.!

"M-Sport" was reserved for E9* 318s, 114ds and similar sporting legends!! :headbang:
My seats are actually straight out of an ///M so actually they are M seats but I didn't want to confuse the OP further :)
I think the standard SE seats are called 'Sports seats' although they are very poor IMO
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

maxman

Post by maxman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:39 am

Stick out for a 3.0.In your price range you should get a tidy e85.Dont get hung up over the seats style.I have had both and the m style type seat is overrated .Looks good but that is as far as it goes.