Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing head unit

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Robb

Re: Replacing head unit

Post by Robb » Thu May 28, 2009 9:15 am

Yea, the cheaper kenwood one to the one above has the colour change function but doesn't have the bluetooth function, if that one did then i would have that one. I like the alpine one but i cant decide if it looks a bit 'fussy' and may not sit nicely on the z4 dash, pioneer do a aluminium facia one but its a bit expensive and low on functions, also the pioneer units i have had a play with seem to avoid logic in the way they function.

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Thu May 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Taadah!! The very Alpine iDA X-305 you have been discussing as fitted to my Zed.

Personally I think it fits the Z quite well because of the large central control wheel, but then I am slightly biased, and my good lady has just told me the leads I ordered to connect the MFSW to the unit have just turned up, pity it will be 3 month's before I can fit, Fuggin Work!
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Fri May 29, 2009 1:41 pm

That does look quite nice! and i agree about the round control, its a bit of a pity it wasnt more central so that it was right above the heater control, minor detail.

did that go in as a straight swap without any problems?

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Sat May 30, 2009 1:47 am

The fit is pretty straight forward, there is a surprising amount of room behind the HU to lose all the wiring and the harness plugs, also you will require aerial adaptor, if you have the same fascia you have to seperate the 2 parts to fix the mounting part securely to the car and take care refitting the front so as not to damage the clips, have to agree about the wheel not quite lining up, can't have everything though. the whole job shouldn't take more than an hour or so to do.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby