Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cayman 718 S

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
pvr
Legend
Legend

Cayman 718 S

Post by pvr » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:18 am

No nav is going to hurt badly come resale …

Have you looked for one without Nav and see the price impact?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Toe-side

Cayman 718 S

Post by Toe-side » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:32 pm

When is the word 'Flimper' going to be entered into the Oxford English dictionary pvr? The Nav is a 1K option btw :o
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

JustCruzin

Cayman 718 S

Post by JustCruzin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:39 pm

pvr wrote:No nav is going to hurt badly come resale …

Agree, definitely affected the resale value and buyer interest on my 35iS which is now with Mike Brewer Motors. My Cayman will have nav for that very reason BUT if you are really not going to use it I guess it doesn't make sense to have it.

Cheers JC :D

Simon20VT

Cayman 718 S

Post by Simon20VT » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:46 pm

All the demonstrators seem to have it. Only problem with getting nav, is that you have to get Connect Plus rather than the basic Connect if you want that functionality. That will be a £1500 premium over just Connect, which will still let you use you iPhone nav through the PCM. Not sure if that would be fully recouped.

Simon20VT

Cayman 718 S

Post by Simon20VT » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:51 pm

JustCruzin wrote:

Agree, definitely affected the resale value and buyer interest on my 35iS which is now with Mike Brewer Motors. My Cayman will have nav for that very reason BUT if you are really not going to use it I guess it doesn't make sense to have it.

I guess the other negative with a non-nav equipped z4 is that you don't have the Idrive either. Probably doesn't help that the idrive later became standard, too. I was always a bit annoyed that they didn't include the idrive when they did the lci, just to bring it up to date. Would have been quite happy if it was just a stripped down version and nav and other bits were extra cost options. Didn't spec it on my z4 either mainly as it seemed a costly option for what I'd get back.

Paulwirral

Cayman 718 S

Post by Paulwirral » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:11 pm

Simon20VT wrote:Fortunately everyone I've shown that interior to likes it. Hopefully that'll be true in a few years time. I'm not getting the Nav, which might be a bit flimpery, opting for apple car play instead.
I think those seats look great , come sale time someone will choose that over the other 20 available for sale at the same time with boring black . A few years time everyone will be over factory sat nav , it's only really important to the salesman selling the new car to the first buyer .
And at the end of the day , you should buy what you like and will enjoy , not what the next owner will want . A bad analogy I read was " would you buy nice underwear for your beautiful girlfriend so she can keep it in the drawer for her next boyfriend ? " :D

pvr
Legend
Legend

Cayman 718 S

Post by pvr » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:48 pm

To me it is like not having Blue Tooth - just can't imagine a car without satnav.

The Audi I have doesn't have it, and oh boy, is it a pain though finding places.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Paulwirral

Cayman 718 S

Post by Paulwirral » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:17 pm

pvr wrote:To me it is like not having Blue Tooth - just can't imagine a car without satnav.

The Audi I have doesn't have it, and oh boy, is it a pain though finding places.
I must admit I'm a Neanderthal when it comes to tech , last 2 cars I've bought has it as standard , and on one of them I didn't even realise :lol: I'm not one for reading through the tech properly although I did check for a factory lsd on the slc I never considered nav . I still use a paper map and write down the major places that will be en route on road signs and wedge it in the ashtray .
I'm still waiting for the skin to grow back on my knuckles though :lol:

Simon20VT

Cayman 718 S

Post by Simon20VT » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:43 am

pvr wrote:To me it is like not having Blue Tooth - just can't imagine a car without satnav.

Connect includes Apple Carplay, so it will have integrated Nav, it'll just be what's available on the Phone - currently Apple Maps. The Porsche Nav will be another £600, but I'd lose CarPlay plus all the various Porsche Connect apps. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Simon20VT

Cayman 718 S

Post by Simon20VT » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:45 am

Paulwirral wrote:
Simon20VT wrote:Fortunately everyone I've shown that interior to likes it. Hopefully that'll be true in a few years time. I'm not getting the Nav, which might be a bit flimpery, opting for apple car play instead.
I think those seats look great , come sale time someone will choose that over the other 20 available for sale at the same time with boring black . A few years time everyone will be over factory sat nav , it's only really important to the salesman selling the new car to the first buyer .
And at the end of the day , you should buy what you like and will enjoy , not what the next owner will want . A bad analogy I read was " would you buy nice underwear for your beautiful girlfriend so she can keep it in the drawer for her next boyfriend ? " :D
They did mention that about the Nav, not the metaphor though :) Also tried pushing the DAB to "future proof" the car. It did occur to me why that wasn't standard like any other manufacturer if that was the case.

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Cayman 718 S

Post by Stark » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:47 am

Very rare cars to seen on the road, I'm lucky if I see one 718 on the road in a month and that's living and driving around London. Saying that I don't see 981's either.

Great cars and a natural progression for someone looking to take a jump from any Z4....

stuartinzg

Cayman 718 S

Post by stuartinzg » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:24 pm

I use a brodit clip directly attached to the dash and use my phone for nav and music. Since the navigation with Waze or Here maps is generally better anyway. I get live updates and traffic reports. For connecting to the car I use a bluetooth dongle which has direct connection to the logs for adaptation resets and all the info I need. I find old satnav/idrive's terrible - better to save the money.
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

pvr
Legend
Legend

Cayman 718 S

Post by pvr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:36 pm

I do too many foreign trips, so the phone satnav option does not work for me.

Having tried the phone on a few occasions when looking for a restaurant or so, I have found it extremely unreliable as out in the sticks, there is often no reception so no idea on where to go then.

I like the reliability of the car system - especially in cities with high rise buildings, country side without signal or junctions abroad inside tunnels where the phone / portable systems let me down.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

JustCruzin

Cayman 718 S

Post by JustCruzin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:16 am

:D :D :D She's arriving in the UK I am told tomorrow. Getting very excited.

Due to my work commitments I cannot pick up the Cayman until November 5th but boy, I am counting the seconds! Booked her in already for a full Gtechniq protection coating (NOT via Porsche!).

Will post pics in hopefully about 9-10 days.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Cayman 718 S

Post by tomscott » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:08 am

In a few years the manufacture nav thing will come to an end. Creating specific hardware and software takes a large budget and takes a lot of R&D and by the time it comes to market it will be outdated.

Better off letting the tech companies work with manufactures like the android and apple equivalent. Phones are much more useful than the internal nav because they are always up to date and you always have it with you instead of paying £1000+ then buying updated maps every 2-3 years then a lot of cars still dont have a 7 digit postcode... 2012 911 for example neither does my GFs 2013 Clio... Just a pain.

I do however like the idrive for the control of the rest of the cars systems.

At least I suppose with the connected drive it updates without the need to buy maps etc and has road updates. Why I love google maps it will tell me where the traffic is bad currently and how to avoid it comes in handy every day.

Good news on the Cayman! Looking forward to seeing some pics of it! :thumbsup: