Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thinking of buying a VX220

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Easty-5

Thinking of buying a VX220

Post by Easty-5 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:12 am

I'm seriously contemplating changing my MR for a VX220 Turbo. This one to be exact;

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... ue/4389823

As you can see from the ad, it's incredibly well specced and has all of the right bits. I was initially wanting a Lotus but buying one with some decent 'get up and go' is very expensive. I never really wanted a VX purely due to badge snobbery. However, this one has got me really, really thinking hard.

Pros:
It will scratch the lotus type car itch
It will be a far more involved drive than the M
It will be fast, very fast. Most certainly quicker than the M
Cheaper to run and look after than the M
Cheaper and easier to mod and upgrade
Far better suited to trackdays

Cons:
Zero luxuries
Uncomfortable for any long journeys
Loud and rattly
It's a Vauxhall
No character from the engine
Noise
Unsure how values will hold

So I'm pretty torn. I have been offered a very fair trade in price for my M. I am just worried the novelty will wear off and I'll miss the luxuries and civilisation of the M. I've had my M for 2.5 years now which is the longest I've owned any car for. I like to experience different cars, life is too short to just own one car for a lengthy period if you are a true petrolhead, IMO of course.

So, I'm obviously expected very biased views here but would be interested to hear other people's thought. Especially if anyone has made the same switch of went the opposite way.
07 Imola Red ///M Roadster, fully loaded spec, KW Clubsports, Rogue Rear Top Mounts, Vibratech Engine Mounts, Stromung Exhaust & AFE Intake. Heavenly!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Thinking of buying a VX220

Post by Ewazix » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:21 am

It's a special example to be sure but quite obviously a track focussed tool and a very different proposition to own and drive regularly. I really wanted one until I test drove an example I turned up with cash to buy, at 6'3" I literally couldn't sit in the thing with the roof on! I was so disappointed. I can't see values dropping drastically now, possibly up in the future?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Rob_benton

Post by Rob_benton » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:53 am

I had one as a company car a few times until another salesman wrote it off into a barrier.
They are fun but :-

Not much room if your tall.
The roof is a pain in the arse to take on and off.
In the damp or winter it gets very steamed up with condensation. The heater isn't brilliant.
The boot is pretty small.
No soundproofing at motorway speeds.
Gets really hot in the summer with the engine in the back.

But it's good fun but only on short blasts.
2005 Z4 3.0 Black, Zhp gear knob.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:35 am

My good buddy had one for a few years. 220 turbo with all the high end gear. It blew up in the end at 400hp
Real street go kart. You've listed most of the pros and cons.

Comfort is truly appalling and when he used to swap to my Zed he could not believe the comfort and performance balance.

Be aware that they've all been ragged to an inch of their 10 year life ( I used to join their track days and road races ( I mean cruises))
Body parts (new clam) usually means write off and there are no headlights available, so again a write off.

All said if it's an itch go scratch it.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Easty-5

Post by Easty-5 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Yip, comfort will be well and truly out of the window. I expect that though and I think if the pace and handling of the VX is good enough then it will make up for having no luxuries.

With regards to them being ragged, you can say that about every performance car. Who buys a car like a VX220 and doesn't drive it hard?
07 Imola Red ///M Roadster, fully loaded spec, KW Clubsports, Rogue Rear Top Mounts, Vibratech Engine Mounts, Stromung Exhaust & AFE Intake. Heavenly!

85genius

Post by 85genius » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:27 pm

They are very moddable for performance, my mate has an astra with the same engine that's pushing 450bhp, but he has spent three to four times as much time with it in pieces than with it on the road. Re value of it last time I looked was a few years ago and I saw a few around the 10k mark so they definitely seem to have gone up in price, and why not it's an elise with a bigger (and turbo'd) engine in it! Awesome toy but no good as a regular car if I had an m I'd stick with that but that's just me
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:09 pm

Easty-5 wrote:Yip, comfort will be well and truly out of the window. I expect that though and I think if the pace and handling of the VX is good enough then it will make up for having no luxuries.

With regards to them being ragged, you can say that about every performance car. Who buys a car like a VX220 and doesn't drive it hard?
I'd disagree about all performance cars are ragged. I think very few ///M's are, neither are Astons, F types, Merc. sports cars, etc. etc. just as instances. They are more like scubbies and Evo's, that the folks that buy them just live that way. I'm in no way against them and think they are great cars but have met so many owners and drivers of them.

Just be very sure of what you are buying and if not really qualified get it looked at.
I'd join the forum and ask the history of a car too, same as folks come on hear and ask.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:20 pm

I've driven a vx and it's nice for short blats in warm weather but in terms of handling it's not in the same league as a Caterham as a weekend toy .Drive a 7 then decide .
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

LostBoy_84

Post by LostBoy_84 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:04 pm

I nearly bought one instead of my MC, they were a good bargain a couple of years ago at around 10 to 12k but have risen quite a bit in value the last year as have a few other low number sport cars, I can see good ones retaining or increasing value well now.
I decided not to in the end mainly due to them being a bit ugly from some angles and the lack of luxuries/rattles, it didn't phase me too much but SWMBO would've hated it being used for our weekend trips which is when I'd be getting the most use of it.

If it fits the bill for what you want then I'd go for it!
Gone but not forgotten
2007 Z4///M Coupé | Silver Grey | Imola Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Nav | Cruise | PDC | Heated Seats | CSL's | H&R's

Current
2009 Ibis White Audi R8 V10 | 6-speed Manual | Lots of Carbon

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:31 pm

Love the VX 220 took a long ride in the turbo, around Castle Combe, when they first came out, alas I don't fit in the drivers seat. :(

No way the turbo was as quick as an ///MR on track, but was massive fun. the guy span it, at the chicane, trying to catch a Silver Carrera 4..

That one looks like a solid car. If you've got the itch , scratch it. :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:48 pm

Looks like a lot of fun - can't believe the add doesn't include a photo with the roof off!
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:52 pm

Found this thread on PH. worht ten minutes of your life. :thumbsup:

http://www.pistonheads.com/GASSING/topi ... &mid=69892

DanStarr

Post by DanStarr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:00 pm

I had one really good fun but def only a toy no good as a daily drive etc. I loved it but would never buy one again the build quailty was terrible and it leaked everywhere :headbang:
53 2.5 Maldives blue, gone but not forgotten.
53 Vauxhall VX220 2.2

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:10 am

same chassis as the elise, which is great for handling but not so good if you clout a curb, the wishbone mounts cannot be replaced if damaged & will write the car off for a minor impact.
I loved my elise as a toy, as a daily driver it grated, mrs smartbear hated it & would rather have travelled on a skateboard!
regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:32 pm

I came from a VX220 to a Z4MC although mine was an NA version. It was a great fun little car, but totally useless in cold or wet weather and even worse if ever you were stupid enough to try drive it in the winter. Mine also started to become unreliable so i sold it for the Z4MC and honestly have zero regrets.

Each to their own though and it may just tick all the boxes you need. They are very enjoyable motors in the dry.
Simon's Ruby Black Z4 MC Journal
viewtopic.php?t=70563

E36 M3 Evolution - Individual Journal
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=209427

The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel!