Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight washer jet

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Roundozo

Headlight washer jet

Post by Roundozo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:18 pm

So I've only just noticed that the inevitable must have happened on the way back from work. I now seem to be missing my offside headlight washer and the cap associated with it.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement washer jet (had a look on eBay and can only seem to find the lower section) and then also the cover cap. Need it in black.

I know RickRob was trying to paint his own but that sounded like it was producing less than desirable results.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

Zed Five

Headlight washer jet

Post by Zed Five » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:29 pm

A common issue. Buy it from your dealer for about £10.

It is the easiest item in the world to spray paint. Stick it to some cardboard with bluetac beneath. Warm up, dust with paint. Let Dry. Dust with lacquer. Simples.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Bluecat

Headlight washer jet

Post by Bluecat » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:06 pm

I think there about £20 from a dealer, also on ebay for that. They will need spraying up too. There is one other problem, there is a small bracket that fits on top of the washer and that quite often goes missing too. I managed to get one via a forum member who has had them 3d printed via shapeways. Has anyone managed to get BMW to pay for a replacement under warranty as this seems to be a common fault

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight washer jet

Post by RickRob » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:47 pm

This is where I got my washer cover from:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-NEW-GENUI ... SwJblXAmmm

The issues I had with painting were all of my own making! :oops: Once I read the instructions and took the advice from here - making sure paint and part were at room temperature - all went well:

Sorry I can't help re the washer as I only lost the cover on mine.

Good luck!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

bluespit

Headlight washer jet

Post by bluespit » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:00 pm

having just repaired mine (it was leaking) I'm not sure how you can lose one? it was a faff to get off, bumper off, clip into place and pipe clip hold the lot in place. Or am I'm misunderstanding?
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Roundozo

Headlight washer jet

Post by Roundozo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks for the replies gents. Looks like I'll give painting it a go. If all else fails I'll pop to my local paint guy as he's fixed paint on my car before so I know he's got the colour.

Looking in the hole that is now taking pride of place on my front bumper I've definitely lost the majority of the unit. The lower pump section is still there however the whole upper unit (the bit that pops up and focuses the water on the light) is completely missing.

The most annoying thing is that the other side has been leaking for a while but never got round to fixing it however it now looks like Ive been forced into fixing the good one so I may as well now fix both.

Roundozo

Headlight washer jet

Post by Roundozo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:06 pm

This is impossible. Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy a complete washer unit? I've now been searching since I noticed it's missing and I can't find anything. All that seems to turn up is the pump motor and not the nozzle.
IMG_20161204_113233.jpg
IMG_20161204_113233.jpg (63.47 KiB) Viewed 872 times

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight washer jet

Post by RickRob » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Roundozo wrote:This is impossible. Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy a complete washer unit? I've now been searching since I noticed it's missing and I can't find anything. All that seems to turn up is the pump motor and not the nozzle.

IMG_20161204_113233.jpg
Is this what you're after:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231069835032? ... noapp=true
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight washer jet

Post by Ewazix » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:22 pm

I had to do mine with exactly the same bits missing, the washer unit is not a pump but a telescopic body with pop-up spray head like this. The cover fits on top of the diamond shaped clip on the top. Unfortunately the clip often departs with the cover, but the clip is only available with the whole spray unit, from BMW at about £80 last time I checked.

I ended up buying a complete front bumper on ebay, complete with sprays, covers, fog lamps and grills etc for the same money and sold on the bits I didn't need.

....... and check you get the correct unit, both the units and the covers are handed L/R
P1000155.JPG
P1000155.JPG (71.46 KiB) Viewed 860 times
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Roundozo

Headlight washer jet

Post by Roundozo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:47 pm

RickRob wrote:
Roundozo wrote:This is impossible. Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy a complete washer unit? I've now been searching since I noticed it's missing and I can't find anything. All that seems to turn up is the pump motor and not the nozzle.

IMG_20161204_113233.jpg
Is this what you're after:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231069835032? ... noapp=true
Thanks for the link RickRob but unfortunately that's the pump from the tank rather than the washer unit.

Roundozo

Headlight washer jet

Post by Roundozo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Ewazix wrote:I had to do mine with exactly the same bits missing, the washer unit is not a pump but a telescopic body with pop-up spray head like this. The cover fits on top of the diamond shaped clip on the top. Unfortunately the clip often departs with the cover, but the clip is only available with the whole spray unit, from BMW at about £80 last time I checked.

I ended up buying a complete front bumper on ebay, complete with sprays, covers, fog lamps and grills etc for the same money and sold on the bits I didn't need.

....... and check you get the correct unit, both the units and the covers are handed L/R

P1000155.JPG
I don't suppose you have the part numbers do you? I can't find them anywhere.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight washer jet

Post by Ewazix » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Roundozo wrote:
Ewazix wrote:I had to do mine with exactly the same bits missing, the washer unit is not a pump but a telescopic body with pop-up spray head like this. The cover fits on top of the diamond shaped clip on the top. Unfortunately the clip often departs with the cover, but the clip is only available with the whole spray unit, from BMW at about £80 last time I checked.

P1000155.JPG
Real OEM is your friend :thumbsup:
There you go.. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=61_1604
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

bluespit

Headlight washer jet

Post by bluespit » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:19 pm

:o

Blimey I take it back. You've blown the bloody top off!
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Roundozo

Headlight washer jet

Post by Roundozo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:32 pm

Ewazix wrote:
Roundozo wrote:

P1000155.JPG
Real OEM is your friend :thumbsup:
There you go.. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=61_1604
Thanks! I did look on RealOEM but couldn't find it. Now to see if I can get them anywhere!

Roundozo

Headlight washer jet

Post by Roundozo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:35 pm

bluespit wrote::o

Blimey I take it back. You've blown the bloody top off!
Yup, I'm surprised I did see it fly off! I would have tried looking for it but I think it came off while on the M3 in lane 3 so even if it is there, there's no way of getting it back safely.