Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What have you done to your car today?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
co-pey

Post by co-pey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Smartbear wrote:
It's a stress bearing support structure to help carry the weight of all those M badges :P
Rob
LOL. When I see a non M car with badges, I think : ///M-poster (imposter)
Success is earned and so is failure.

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Booked in with BMW to see if bodywork warranty covers the rust that seems to have appeared on the rear arches. 1 year left to claim for me so may as well try. :thumbsup:
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:06 pm

co-pey wrote: LOL. When I see a non M car with badges, I think : ///M-poster (imposter)
I like that. I'm going to start calling the 320d touring at the end of my road that. Its badge at the back says it is a ///M 320d 16v xdrive. Running on 17 wheels.
The ///M is applied wonky as is the 16v and xdrive badges. Although the ///M on the grill and on the side doors are on straight. :o
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

G600

Post by G600 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:16 pm

co-pey wrote:
Hey, got a question about something since I can see it on your picture: Just to the left (rear) of your passenger side strut tower is a small bracket, also red. It has two threaded bolts sticking out. It appears to be a shelf. I have one as well, and I assume most E85/86 do. Have any idea what it's for? My guess is fire suppression of some sort.
It holds an air pump or something like that for emissions on US spec cars apparently.
E85 3.0

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Roundozo wrote:Booked in with BMW to see if bodywork warranty covers the rust that seems to have appeared on the rear arches. 1 year left to claim for me so may as well try. :thumbsup:
wonder if I should try the same with my z4 coupe, bootlid has a tiny spot of rust that I've just noticed :thumbsdown:

bluespit

Post by bluespit » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:05 pm

MOT Passed :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Buckz wrote:
Roundozo wrote:Booked in with BMW to see if bodywork warranty covers the rust that seems to have appeared on the rear arches. 1 year left to claim for me so may as well try. :thumbsup:
wonder if I should try the same with my z4 coupe, bootlid has a tiny spot of rust that I've just noticed :thumbsdown:
Worth a punt. Mines an 06 so about to end it's 12 year warranty. Ive got a little bubble on both rear arches and the classic coupe boot spot. I'm going to see if they will do it all. All of it appears to have come from behind the paint so technically should be covered. Over the phone it sounded quite promising. I stated my car does not have full BMW service history. That ended at 60k. It's since had independent history. Person on the phone said that didn't really matter as long as it's the right type of rust. I also called the BMW repair centre directly rather than go through a dealership. I'll keep you posted. Fingers crossed!

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Got my boot replaced under warranty & full offside painted

tiny bubbles on both arches and thhe classic boot spot.

The car was an 08 with 95k on & full history but not BMW.

They didnt use a BMW bodyshop, a bodyshop called Mcadam who are nationwide apparently.

They gave me a lovely 320d x drive m sport for a week which when i got my z4 back it felt all cheap rickety & horrible :rofl:
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Roundozo wrote:
Buckz wrote:
Worth a punt. Mines an 06 so about to end it's 12 year warranty. Ive got a little bubble on both rear arches and the classic coupe boot spot. I'm going to see if they will do it all. All of it appears to have come from behind the paint so technically should be covered. Over the phone it sounded quite promising. I stated my car does not have full BMW service history. That ended at 60k. It's since had independent history. Person on the phone said that didn't really matter as long as it's the right type of rust. I also called the BMW repair centre directly rather than go through a dealership. I'll keep you posted. Fingers crossed!
does sound promising! let me know how it goes, I'll book mine in if you have any success with it!

my arches seem fine, mine is built may 2007 I believe so a bit younger.

rust spot on the bootlid only, right at the bottom - think it's the common place for it.

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Yup, that's exactly the same spot on my boot. Going to make sure she is a clean as can be for my appointment to show she's been loved. I'm now at 95k and have heard a rumour the 12 year warranty expires if over 100k but I've not checked this.

I'm sort of hoping for a call if they accept the work "sorry we have been unable to match the paint so have re-painted the entire car". Sounds far fetched but it did happen to a mate of mine. Had a rear wing replaced/fixed on his E46 330. BMW couldn't match the paint so they ended up giving the entire car a going over. All for free! One can dream!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 pm

I was under the impression the car had to have bodywork inspections carried out by bmw, along with a stamp in the book proving it for the corrosion warranty to hold water?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Smartbear wrote:I was under the impression the car had to have bodywork inspections carried out by bmw, along with a stamp in the book proving it for the corrosion warranty to hold water?
Rob
Nope. Much like the cracked wheel saga it's very dealer dependent
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:22 am

Basically - man makes assessment, man sends report to warranty claims department. They make the decision. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:42 am

Cleaned some bird poo off mine and admired how clean It looked after my efforts at the weekend. Then got in my DD and drove to work :(
A Dirty M///

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:31 pm

Washed it and popped the roof down to give it some fresh air

2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)