Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project Jigsaw- complete!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
IRD

Project Jigsaw

Post by IRD » Wed May 22, 2024 6:27 pm

How frustrating Stuart. Finding really skilled people is so difficult. There is a deep pool of knowledge on the Forum with people like yourself, Anubis Z , Usel and Enuff zed. When I had that problem with indicators on the silver E85 it cost me a fortune to have it ‘not solved’ by ‘professionals’. In the end you, with Forum help, sorted it out. Keep going, I’m sure you will eventually get there. There might be a few more grey hairs on the way.🙏🙏🙏

Usel

Project Jigsaw

Post by Usel » Wed May 22, 2024 6:31 pm

Before you take it out have you tried operating the seat without the key in the ignition?

The drivers seat is always live and fed directly from the fuse box. If it works then it will be a short that is ignition fed. If it still plays up then it will be a short on the always hot side of things after finding out if it works when you power it up direct from the battery. It could just be faulty though :D

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Project Jigsaw

Post by bigwinn » Wed May 22, 2024 8:08 pm

IRD wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:27 pm How frustrating Stuart. Finding really skilled people is so difficult. There is a deep pool of knowledge on the Forum with people like yourself, Anubis Z , Usel and Enuff zed. When I had that problem with indicators on the silver E85 it cost me a fortune to have it ‘not solved’ by ‘professionals’. In the end you, with Forum help, sorted it out. Keep going, I’m sure you will eventually get there. There might be a few more grey hairs on the way.🙏🙏🙏
Thanks Ian

I’m more angry with myself… need to have a bit more faith in myself

:thumbsup:
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Project Jigsaw

Post by bigwinn » Wed May 22, 2024 8:10 pm

Usel wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:31 pm Before you take it out have you tried operating the seat without the key in the ignition?

The drivers seat is always live and fed directly from the fuse box. If it works then it will be a short that is ignition fed. If it still plays up then it will be a short on the always hot side of things after finding out if it works when you power it up direct from the battery. It could just be faulty though :D
it’s there when no key in ign- so that helps

Steve and I are poring over TIS at present and we think we see a commonality with earth point x490

I think that’s the one on the passenger side

Can you detach each earth one by one to test if the issue goes away?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Project Jigsaw

Post by markplant » Wed May 22, 2024 8:18 pm

If you need a extra pair of hands , I might be available over the weekend
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Project Jigsaw

Post by bigwinn » Wed May 22, 2024 8:23 pm

markplant wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:18 pm If you need a extra pair of hands , I might be available over the weekend
Thanks Mark- I may take you up on that

EWS Delete PM me

Usel

Project Jigsaw

Post by Usel » Wed May 22, 2024 8:35 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:10 pm
Usel wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:31 pm Before you take it out have you tried operating the seat without the key in the ignition?

I'm going to say no but I can't give a very good reason why :D

I will use the steering wheel as an example. There are multiple individual earth pins in the sockets of the slip ring but they all connect up collectively together as well.

You could pull an earth wire out and then continuity check the wire to earth point to see if there is still a connection.

If you are going to pull wires I would start at the fusebox. Work out which plugs you can pull out which doesn't disable the car.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Project Jigsaw

Post by bigwinn » Wed May 22, 2024 8:50 pm

Usel wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:35 pm
bigwinn wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:10 pm

I'm going to say no but I can't give a very good reason why :D

I will use the steering wheel as an example. There are multiple individual earth pins in the sockets of the slip ring but they all connect up collectively together as well.

You could pull an earth wire out and then continuity check the wire to earth point to see if there is still a connection.

If you are going to pull wires I would start at the fusebox. Work out which plugs you can pull out which doesn't disable the car.
Makes sense

I think that’s step 2 after the seat test

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Project Jigsaw

Post by bigwinn » Thu May 23, 2024 8:45 pm

I am happy to report that the electrical issue is solved

I’m less happy to report that it’s because I am a spanner- I definitely checked all earth points. Apart from the one that wasn’t connected. It was (x490) the one under the drivers side dash near the bonnet catch.

Credit to Steve who kept hammering TIS and saying it’s a common issue to all… but I was the wrong side of the car!

Just goes to show with a bit of confidence and logical approach (plus superb forum and friend support) problems are very much resolvable on these cars.

Thankful also that I don’t need to faff about looking for wire breaks in the loom

The to do list got a lot shorter!

MOT (with a hopeful pass) looming!

Stuart

EWS Delete PM me

Usel

Project Jigsaw

Post by Usel » Thu May 23, 2024 8:51 pm

:happyclap:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Project Jigsaw

Post by bigwinn » Thu May 23, 2024 8:54 pm

Usel wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:51 pm:happyclap:
Thanks again Rob! Seat now working perfectly!!

EWS Delete PM me

1536Z4

Project Jigsaw

Post by 1536Z4 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:58 pm

bigwinn wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:45 pm Just goes to show with a bit of confidence and logical approach (plus superb forum and friend support) problems are very much resolvable on these cars.
TFFT so glad you got it sorted . I`m terrible at fault finding electrics so no help to you whatsoever . :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Project Jigsaw

Post by bigwinn » Thu May 23, 2024 9:04 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:58 pm
bigwinn wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:45 pm Just goes to show with a bit of confidence and logical approach (plus superb forum and friend support) problems are very much resolvable on these cars.
TFFT so glad you got it sorted . I`m terrible at fault finding electrics so no help to you whatsoever . :thumbsup:
It’s a mixture of relief and acute embarrassment

:rofl:

EWS Delete PM me

1536Z4

Project Jigsaw

Post by 1536Z4 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:08 pm

bigwinn wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:04 pm acute embarrassment
I wouldn`t even know where to start . Its all good experience as long as you can remember what you did :D
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

j3nks79

Project Jigsaw

Post by j3nks79 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:14 pm

Nice one well done.
It’s such a good feeling when you work something out. The feeling of relief is great
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86