Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Top-level navigation and sound system for z4 e85.(DIY)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
se4y

Re: Top-level navigation and sound system for z4 e85.(DIY)

Post by se4y » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:01 pm

1.The backboard of the OEM radio have a main plug socket A and it connected with plug B (with many wire). Your job is just seperate B from A and put new one E to A and put B to E.(it is particular for bmw and it would be good match )
2.Front camera paste in front windscreen.so you will find way for the wire.(same as mic or gps receiver,tv antenna )
3.Rear camera use the reversing light signal. You also need to find the way under the carpet in trunk.
4.Copy the nav soft ware to the SD card.(I use three kind of nav software in china .all of them are much more better than oem nav.I drive idrive bmv5 also.I don't use oem usually. The oem nav informations are limited in china and the nav system is not easy to operate.I also download a software make me know the camera in the road in advance by voice)
5.I think it much easy for garage if they know how to take out vent and the radio.
6.All difficults is to remake and dig the hole by handwork. :tumbleweed:
Last edited by se4y on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

se4y

Post by se4y » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:17 pm

danmiddle2 wrote:
Putter Whore wrote:Does look good. But I've filed under 'don't have the necessary skills / balls to do'. If only someone offered the fitted package for £500!
It really shouldn't be all that difficult.

The hardest part is likely to be cutting the hole in the dash. The dash is so thick, with a layer of foam underpinned by some thick plastic, that it is quite time consuming... but certainly not difficult.
yes! 5-6mm thick plastic. I use a Circular saws almost damage the air flue under it. it needs be careful. But more space under there fortunately.

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Sounds like a nice easy plug and play upgrade for anyone with the Nav already as it should fit in the same hole...? How does it play movies and TV though? What/Where are the inputs or does it use the existing BMW TV tuner for the TV and additional USB input for movies?
3.0i

danmiddle2

Post by danmiddle2 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:36 pm

srhutch wrote:Presume the top isn't motorised. I would try and source a Z4 monitor housing and transfer the screen over.
+1 on the motorisation, doesn't look like it is to me... can't see a motor. I wouldn't have thought the screen would transfer over - looks to be the wrong size / aspect... although it is hard to tell.
Stug wrote:I wonder if it would fit straight into the hole that the o/e nav occupies?
I wouldn't have thought so... the template looks different to the original one

I guess it might have enough of a surround to cover any differences between the two.
se4y wrote:yes! 5-6mm thick plastic. I use a Circular saws almost damage the air flue under it. it needs be careful. But more space under there fortunately.
If you ever have to do another one, a dremel muti tool makes slightly lighter work of it.

se4y

Post by se4y » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:14 pm

danmiddle2 wrote:
srhutch wrote:Presume the top isn't motorised. I would try and source a Z4 monitor housing and transfer the screen over.
+1 on the motorisation, doesn't look like it is to me... can't see a motor. I wouldn't have thought the screen would transfer over - looks to be the wrong size / aspect... although it is hard to tell.
Stug wrote:I wonder if it would fit straight into the hole that the o/e nav occupies?
I wouldn't have thought so... the template looks different to the original one

I guess it might have enough of a surround to cover any differences between the two.
se4y wrote:yes! 5-6mm thick plastic. I use a Circular saws almost damage the air flue under it. it needs be careful. But more space under there fortunately.
If you ever have to do another one, a dremel muti tool makes slightly lighter work of it.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Image

danmiddle2

Post by danmiddle2 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:25 pm

se4y wrote:
They are awesome, aren't they?!

se4y

Post by se4y » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:08 pm

danmiddle2 wrote:
se4y wrote:
They are awesome, aren't they?!
I used bosch with 10cm circluar saw. It is too cumbersome for the dash board. :headbang:

Alun1976

Post by Alun1976 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:05 pm

srhutch wrote:I'd prefer to go with Danmiddle2's option using an OEM housing with a tablet. The one for the X3 lets this down IMO.
Why does the X3 sat nav screen let it down in your opinion? This upgrade (made for the X3) fits very nicely on the dash of the Z in this pics? What puts you off? I'm only asking as I can get an X3 screen to go with danmiddle option 2. I can't seem to get hold of a z4 one cheap.
Z4 3.0i Roadster (ESS TS2 supercharged, E36 M3 headers, AA methanol injection, E46 M3 Rear axle inc LSD, Brembo (Porsche) Brake upgrade, M3 CSL discs, KW V3 coilovers, Eibach wheel spacers, Miltek backbox, CDV delete, 6-speed illuminated M gear knob.)

Alun1976

Post by Alun1976 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:08 pm

Does this fit nice and flush on the dash with no gaps? I was interested in buying an X3 screen to fit to my Z and go with danmiddle option 2 but want to make sure first that it fits perfectly?

Thanks

Al
Z4 3.0i Roadster (ESS TS2 supercharged, E36 M3 headers, AA methanol injection, E46 M3 Rear axle inc LSD, Brembo (Porsche) Brake upgrade, M3 CSL discs, KW V3 coilovers, Eibach wheel spacers, Miltek backbox, CDV delete, 6-speed illuminated M gear knob.)

Alun1976

Post by Alun1976 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:40 am

It looks like it fits nice and flush in the pics but just want to confirm this?

Thanks

Aln

se4y

Post by se4y » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Alun1976 wrote:It looks like it fits nice and flush in the pics but just want to confirm this?

Thanks

Aln
Mine is perfect. It works nearly 3 years. No any problems. No any noise or unsteadiness when driving. I also upgrade the screen on Septemer 2013 for bluetooth music ,the new generation high quality screen and the driving recorder and the original sound music play(ten big than mp3).
you can find your own way to install it. The original part is a little thick and a little crooked.I do the "knife works" myself first and find professinal technicist to help me with the other part.
you can try if you are good at diy and enjoy it.(Need time and patience).:)

Alun1976

Post by Alun1976 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:17 am

So are you saying that the OEM X3 screen is thick and crooked and that the aftermarket screen fits better? If that's the case then I will have to go with the Z4 screen for the android system option. The reason I ask is that plenty of X3 faulty screens come available and not many Z4 screens and the price can be double for the Z4 screen.

Cheers

Alun

se4y

Post by se4y » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:46 am

Alun1976 wrote:So are you saying that the OEM X3 screen is thick and crooked and that the aftermarket screen fits better? If that's the case then I will have to go with the Z4 screen for the android system option. The reason I ask is that plenty of X3 faulty screens come available and not many Z4 screens and the price can be double for the Z4 screen.

Cheers

Alun
old X3:(the radio and nav screen is similar to z4 but little different )
new X3:

The Electronic products update fast and have more function of the attractive.And I can't find oem screen with so many functions. Z4 is less as you know.The aftermarket factory would not make mould for z4.

LukeMace

Post by LukeMace » Sat May 31, 2014 7:15 pm

Thinking more about this!
3.0, Quad Conversion, 19" CSLs, Bucket Seats, Big Brake Conversion, Lowered 40mm, AE and Clear Hockeys etc...
CLICK HERE FOR THE BUILD THREAD

si-forks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by si-forks » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:15 am

I still want it in my Z you go first luke ;)

sent by galaxy S4 on tapatalk
E85 Z4R 3.0si 2006 current:
Audi A3 saloon TFSI DD
Harley Davidson FLH 1969