Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake upgrade Done!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
thanatu55

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:44 pm

So it's been such a lovely day, I decided it was obviously the perfect conditions to perform an all round brake upgrade!

I promised another member I would document the process as best I can. Picture's aren't all that great with it being such a dull wet miserable day.

Tools:
- Jack
- Wheel brace
- 330i brake calipers and carriers
- Brake Pads
- 325mm brake discs
- 16mm wrench / spanner
- 6mm allen key
- 14mm spanner

I started on the rear discs. So first thing's first, jack up the car and remove the wheel.

Undo the two 16mm bolts on the rear of the caliper. Then twist and release the caliper.

The brake discs are held on by a single screw that requires a 6mm allen key to release. Then the disc can come off.

It's at this point I discovered that the 294mm Brembo brake discs I had purchased were too shallow to allow use of the handbrake, nor would any 294mm disc fit. So frustratingly, after all that I had to abandon ship, rebuild and move on to the fronts :cry:
However, the steps above apply equally to remove the caliper and disc from the front wheel and I had better photo examples of them as right about now the heavens opened just to rub salt in the wound. But that wasn't going to deter us, so we ploughed on.

Again, repeat the steps above for the front procedure.
- Jack up, wheel off
- undo 16mm bolts, caliper off
- undo screw with 6mm allen key, brake disc off

Undo the brake flexi pipe on the rear of the caliper with a 14mm spanner and remove the pad wear sensor. Then twist the caliper off completely.

Now you can mount your new 325mm brake disc and re-insert the screw we removed earlier.

Undo the pistons from the caliper carrier and mount the carrier to the brake disc.

Screw the flexi pipe onto the new caliper, you may need a caliper compressor at this point. Insert the brake pads and bolt the caliper on, reinserting the pistons. Attach the pad wear sensor.

Wheel back on and we're all done. Besides the palava with the rear discs it was actually a lot easier than I expected, and looks a damn site better than beforehand! Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing the same.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by ben g » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Nice work and great pics :thumbsup: looks great.

Wish i had upgraded when i replaced my discs and pads, but couldn't find and 330i calipers and carriers at the time :(
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

D4dawg

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by D4dawg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Good write up buddy

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by Lynchy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:06 pm

They look good :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Good upgrade, and a great write up. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

JINGLE

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by JINGLE » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:13 pm

Love the look! And cheers for the write up, once I've got the skirts/splitter/headlights done I'll start the brakes!!! It's a lot simpler than I thought!!

Steve84N

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by Steve84N » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:36 pm

If anyone is literally following those instructions then don't forget the all important brake fluid bleed at the end. The reservoir probably needs topping up afterwards too with the fluid that now goes into the new caliper.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

thanatu55

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:38 am

Of course that should be in there, bleed the brake fluid, pumping and releasing the brake pedal.

thanatu55

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:45 am

I will be returning to the rear brakes in due course having now ordered a set of 294mm brake discs intended for a 3.0i.

groovy_hippy

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by groovy_hippy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:28 am

Really good thread, except you're giving me ideas ha!

Couple of questions:

1) Assuming from your post that the front calipers, carriers and 325mm discs from a 330i will bolt straight on?
2) On the rear, you're fitting Z4 294mm discs, but which calipers and carriers?

:)
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

dhobbs

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by dhobbs » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:41 am

The gold caliper looks good against the blue! Mine are currently a combination of rust and brake dust :oops:

Did you get brembo discs and pads for the front?
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

thanatu55

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:59 am

groovy_hippy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:28 amReally good thread, except you're giving me ideas ha!

Couple of questions:

1) Assuming from your post that the front calipers, carriers and 325mm discs from a 330i will bolt straight on?
2) On the rear, you're fitting Z4 294mm discs, but which calipers and carriers?
1) Yep they bolt straight on, it's a fairly simple swap really.

2) The calipers I have for the rears are off an E46 328i which also bolt straight on.

dhobbs wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:41 amThe gold caliper looks good against the blue! Mine are currently a combination of rust and brake dust

Did you get brembo discs and pads for the front?
Yes both discs and pads are Brembo. I also have Brembo pads for the rear, but I haven't been able to find any Brembo discs suitable for the rear. Sticking with the drilled disc theme I managed to find these http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/b ... 06-06.html but there are very limited options about with a deep enough hub.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:02 am

Nice write up.

One thing I would add, is that it's VITAL to make sure the hub surface is properly cleaned before firing the discs. Best way is an angle grinder with a wire brush cup. Any rust or deposits can cause disc run out once they are used.

Don't know if you did this step?

Mike

thanatu55

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:02 am Nice write up.

One thing I would add, is that it's VITAL to make sure the hub surface is properly cleaned before firing the discs. Best way is an angle grinder with a wire brush cup. Any rust or deposits can cause disc run out once they are used.

Don't know if you did this step?

Mike
Thanks.

Yep done today, forgot this yesterday but I only did one side yesterday due to the rain, so I've done the other side today and refitted this one too. Thanks for the tip!

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Brake upgrade Done!

Post by Nictrix » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:53 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:38 am Of course that should be in there, bleed the brake fluid, pumping and releasing the brake pedal.
Just reading this thread and this answer bothered me a little.
Are you using the bleed nipple on the caliper to bleed the brakes?
Its just the answer you have given kinda makes it look like you have just pumped the pedal.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)