Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cruise control retrofit (post 10/04) - help!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
rich291

Cruise control retrofit (post 10/04) - help!

Post by rich291 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi all,
I decided that I'd give the cruise control retrofit a go, seeing as though I'm off to Italy next month and will be doing plenty of motorway miles. My car was built in May 05, so I unfortunately it's not pre-wired for it. No problem I thought, the dealer kit comes with the harness and the instructions don't look too challenging.... famous last words!

First thing is to remove the lower steering column cover, which I assumed would be the least of my problems. Not so... I tried for an hour this afternoon to get it off with no success. :( After taking the screw off underneath, I was expecting to be able to unclip it from the top part and just slide it out, however I just couldn't get it free. The problem seems to be two clips right at the front, one on the left and one on the right. The top steering column cover has a sort of square hoop, and the bottom one a wedge-shaped peg that the hoop clips over. On top of the peg is a post that slots into a hole inside the hoop (this I can see on the new part in the kit). You can't slide something in and push the hoop away because of the post. According to TIS you need to take the steering wheel off and prise them off from the front :o

I'm not really keen on taking the wheel off because a) I don't like messing with pyrotechnics, and b) I don't have a torque wrench.

As far as I can tell, no one has mentioned having difficulty with this or needing to take the wheel off. Am I missing something really obvious?? If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it!!! :headbang:
E89 Melbourne Red sDrive 28i (previously Sapphire Black E85 2.5si)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Cruise control retrofit (post 10/04) - help!

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi and welcome.

Struggling with taking the lower cowl off?

Nothing too it. Take the single screw out from underneath, lower the steering column locking lever and pull the cowl down. It's clipped to the top half, but just splits off. No need to remove the wheel or anything else.

Have fun and let's see some pics of the Zed
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:40 pm

I didn't have any trouble taking it off either :o

exactly as cj10jeeper said...
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

rich291

Post by rich291 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks guys, that's what I thought but it just won't budge. If the original cowl has the same clip design as the new one, and the diagrams on TIS are correct, then to be honest I can't see how it can come off without prising the clips away from the inside - i.e. by removing the wheel. Perhaps the design changed slightly?

Anyway, I hope that it's just particularly stiff or something and I'll have another go today.

Apart from this minor frustration I love the car, I've had it for 2 years and have never had a problem - apart from the usual broken rear springs fixed under warranty!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:46 pm

No change of design as the cruise control kit that comes with a new lower cowl fits all models and ages.

Can't really see what the problem is??
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

rich291

Post by rich291 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Thought I'd better wrap this one up... I finally got the CC fitted and working yesterday. After three of us trying for about an hour (again) to get the lower cowl off, we took a pair of pliers to it. Ripped a 2 inch hole above the ignition big enough to get a screwdriver in from behind and open the clip. Once one side was away the other was easy.
Fitting the harness was a lot easier than I thought, especially like the 'electrics box' under the bonnet - I always thought that it was some kind of reservoir for something! There is a hole that leads straight into the passenger footwell, and the box itself is watertight. Such a good idea - every other car I've known would require messing about with rubber grommets to get a cable through there.
Anyway, everything worked first time, and I can now drive long distances on the motorway without getting a aching foot! :D

Thanks all.

peartreeproductions

Post by peartreeproductions » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:17 pm

Just wondered if someone who has done this could give me some advice? When you fit the blue cable (N52 2006) into the box under the bonnet, did you go in through the hole that is in the box itself? If so how do you gain access to this from inside the car? Also where did you route the cable.

Also reading the instructions i have to add the cable to a certain pinout on one of the connectors on the dmu but there is already a cable connected to that pin. It is not the same colour either whereas the other two wires matched colours with those that they had to patch in to.

Sorry for so many questions!! Everything is installed, just this last blue wire before I am finished. Obviously wont be trying it until everything is connected!!

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:22 am

does anybody have pictures of them fitting the cruise?

Z4coupebeaver

Post by Z4coupebeaver » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:51 pm

OK, let me guess. Is it automatic with flappy paddle gearchange? Is there a violet cable where the blue one should go?

I had the same problem and my BMW dealer ended up connecting the blue cable to the gearbox module. The problem is that the fitting instructions are incomplete from BMW as are the dealer wiring diagrams.

As a result, BMW fitted my CC foc.

I suggest you go back to the dealer who supplied your CC kit and expalin that the instructions are incomplete. BMW should then sort out the rest for you.

Good luck.

peartreeproductions

Post by peartreeproductions » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanks beaver but I have a manual. As you say though the instructions are less than helpful as they are an idiots guide right up to the end when it gives very brief instructions on what to do with the blue wire. Considering it involves pulling out the dmu to get to the plug and somehow routing the wire behind the dash it is too brief.

Thanks anyway, dealer may be an option but I have some more time this weekend and will have a further look. At least if i route the wire the job is virtually done for the dealer.

Taz - do you want a picture of me fitting your cruise control or would you rather a picture of my girlfriend fitting it, just not sure if i would be your type :wink:

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:04 am

Peartreeproductions

I'm sure your girl friend is absolutely gorgeous, but i'd like pictures of the most competent person fitting it thanks

If you'd like to send me a picture of just your girl friend, well i'll not object lol

tdz840

Post by tdz840 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:08 pm

Taz x wrote:Peartreeproductions

I'm sure your girl friend is absolutely gorgeous, but i'd like pictures of the most competent person fitting it thanks

If you'd like to send me a picture of just your girl friend, well i'll not object lol
Do you want pictures holding the stalk or just screwing it in :D

glastoveteran

Post by glastoveteran » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Would anyone have any tips on routing the blue wire from the cabin to the DME?

Thanks!
Z4MC Silver Grey / Light Sepang / Nav / Logic7 DSP / Intravee / Bluetooth / Cruise / PDC / SPG / Electric folding and dimming mirrors / 19" E46 M3 wheels / Vreds

peartreeproductions

Post by peartreeproductions » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 pm

glastoveteran wrote:Would anyone have any tips on routing the blue wire from the cabin to the DME?

Thanks!
Hi,

In the end I bottled the connection and left it to the dealer. Routing the wire is the easy part - remove the cowl under the steering wheel and the cover under the glovebox. You can then route the wire behind the centre console near the carpet; there is a loom there already you can tape/attach the wire to and bring it across to the passenger side (right hand drive only). Then remove the black cover for the DME in the engine compartment which is secured by torx screws. If you get your head under the glovebox with the vanity cover removed you will see daylight and you can thread the blue wire into the DME compartment through the bulkhead - no need to cut or make a hole, it is already there.

Now the bit i bottled is connecting it to the DME. If you have the N52 engine (I have) you might find that the pin on the plug that the instructions mentions is already occupied as I did. This freaked me out, I wasnt keen on sharing the pin as the instructions didn't say what to do. I asked the dealer what he did though and he removed the wire that was already present and replaced it with the blue wire. I cant verify this though as I havent looked since I had the car back but will do at the weekend if it is crucial to you.

Up to this point I found it very easy albeit a lot more time consuming than pre 10/04 cars. Let me know how far you have got and I will try and help.

glastoveteran

Post by glastoveteran » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:58 pm

Thanks ever so much for the reply - that's really useful.

I'm pretty sure I also have the N52 engine but not sure where to confirm that. It's a 2007 3.0 si E86 Coupe.

As Beaver said above did your dealer do that remaining bit of work free of charge seeing as the instructions were incorrect? I'd be very interested to know.
Z4MC Silver Grey / Light Sepang / Nav / Logic7 DSP / Intravee / Bluetooth / Cruise / PDC / SPG / Electric folding and dimming mirrors / 19" E46 M3 wheels / Vreds