Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 + Snow

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
frankiefish

Z4 + Snow

Post by frankiefish » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:59 pm

I've had my zed for just over a week now and the weather forcast is for heavy snow tomorrow....to say I'm a tad nervous is an understatement! :cry: My drive to work is about 10 miles each way so it should be interesting!

Whats the Zed like to drive in the snow? Has anyone got any tips on getting me home safe? :driving:

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4 + Snow

Post by gannet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:02 pm

take the bus/train/walk ?

ok maybe not walk...

drive slowly and carry a spade and blanket etc.. higher gears are better for traction should you be slipping.
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

easty027

Post by easty027 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:03 pm

well, my first rear drive car was a 325ci sport coupe. Collected it on the sunday, thick snow on the monday! had a 26 mile drive and it was interesting to say the least.

On another note though, how accurate is the weather ? we will probably get our bbq summer they promised us tomorrow.

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:06 pm

You'll be fine! Driven mine in the snow a couple of times now and no dramas - just needs a little common sense. I actually think the sixes work quite well as you can run in a higher gear at lower revs and then engine will still pull rather than complaining. Also, and I could be wrong on this, but I try and make sure I am always driving the car rather than coasting - if you're coasting the driver aids may not be working!

We've a little snow here at the moment and my drive is through the countryside.

Thinking ahead and no dramatic movements if you can help it!

I'm sure someone will have more proven scientific approach. But that's what I do.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

speedski

Post by speedski » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:08 pm

I have virtually the same drive to work as you - length wise.

It too is due to snow here tonight/tomorrow.

...there I suspect the differences end...I live on a hill...a steep one...my works car park has an increasing gradient drive, followed by going down the hill to park...this and a Z4 do not mix, well, if ever...I might car share with the other half tomorrow and do an extra unpaid hour at work just to avoid driving the Z.

God bless the backup - VW golf.
Used to Drive: BMW Z4 2.5i 2003 - SOLD 30/1/2010
Now Driving: 2009 120d MSport - 3Dr Sapphire Black
TheSIMonlyshop - my non driving hobby...

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:12 pm

new experience for me too!

im just about to fit new tyres so that makes me feel better but if the snow is deep i have access to 3 huge empty interlinked carparks so the old tyres will be staying on and il have a little sideways action.....i mean practice controlling my car :P

ali_b

Post by ali_b » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:16 pm

Z4MC + Snow = Fun Fun Fun. (Find a big open space !)

Personally wouldn't bother trying to get to work in it though. I could manage about 5mph on my estate last year, had to keep pulling over to let the FWD cars past :headbang:
Get your detail on........
Shiny Shiny Shiny !!Image
Z4MC - Gone
Hello Noble M12 !

eyup

Post by eyup » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:20 pm

The Z was a dog last time I drove it in the snow, but it was controlable if being sensible. It wasnt heavy snow, well not that I would call such, but it got all the traffic to a standstill for several hours after rush hour. I can remember struggling in a straightline at anything above 25 mph on one road. Wasnt good in traffic and the ****s of other road used that seamed oblivious as the back end is snaking about while they try pulling along side or infront. It wouldnt handle the driveway incline so ended up left half way up after clearing a small areas so it didnt skid back down again!

Saying that I thoroughly enjoyed it, stayed on the road and took it out again later in the week to "practice" controling the car. :driving:
Coupe - Montego Blue. 108's, simplest mod - second medical box :-)

The journey so far;
i) 1998 Ford Focus 1.8 Litre
ii) The Z
iii) what else is needed?

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:23 pm

its my every day car and my daily commute to work is 11 miles, most of it motorway so im not too bothered.

i think as long as people take their time, dont go blasting around bends and work on throttle control a little i.e. dont press the big pedal until the car is straight then we should all be fine.

good advice for going and finding open spaces to practice on, put the car out of control and then try to get it back again. i do this with all of my cars during winter......mostly just for the fun of it :D

Lucy

Post by Lucy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:34 pm

I was pleasantly surprised at how my Z4 handled the snow last time we had it. The only problem i had was trying to actually get it off my drive as it's uphill. I had to get my Dad and a neighbor to push me up to the gates at the top :D
Oh and i did struggle trying to get out of the gym car park too as i was parked uphill :roll:

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:44 pm

Its all about keeping momentum and pointing the right way in snow. Hills are your enemy :D :o

A reminder of how it can ruin your day...
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... ow#p134032
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:45 pm

do any of you guys actually bother putting winter tyres on?

i just dont see the point

Robb

Post by Robb » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Last time it properly snowed i had a 1-series and tbh it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be.

That was when i worked up in the hills near barnard castle and we decided to bail out of work because of the snow, when i went to my car the drift was already covering the headlights, we had to use a JCB to tow us one by one out of the steep part of the driveway and up onto the A66, which was empty because they had shut it at either end because of the snow, and we wer in the middle of it.

I think it also suggests in the handbook to turn off the DTC when driving in snow?

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:50 pm

hey robb where do you live?

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:53 pm

When it snows in the UK the weather forecasters on the radio and TV always warn us about driving as do the local boys in blue, “Do not drive unless it’s absolutely necessary.” Begs the question as to what is ‘absolutely necessary’. Have never tried this but what if I told my boss I was not going into work because the weather man told me not to as my work could not be considered as absolutely necessary. Just a thought.... :oops:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net