Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Condensation in my headlight

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ryukin

Condensation in my headlight

Post by ryukin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:12 pm

This is annoying. I recently changed the bulbs in my headlights and ever since then, the drivers side headlight has been steamed up and has condensation on the inside.

Does anyone know the best way to get rid of this? I spent 40 minutes with hairdryer on it yesterday which worked for half an hour and then it all came back.

All suggestions welcome!

gawain1981

Re: Condensation in my headlight

Post by gawain1981 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:23 pm

I thought this was normal on xenon lights as they are not sealled? Might be wrong.

ryukin

Post by ryukin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:25 pm

Mine are halogens. It's never occured before - only since I changed the bulb, but it may just be coincidence. I put the back cover on properly so I may have a leak :(

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:44 pm

loads of threads on this..

check your seal on the back of the light bet you have pinched it letting in more water.

my dealer advised me to run the car with the back off and lights on a long journey (dont leave the car standing and running or you will melt the lights)...

still had some in after though I could reach it with a tissue :D

some people have had luck with hairdryers...

I bought and fitted a new back cover with a new seal and no problems since :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

ryukin

Post by ryukin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:03 pm

gannet wrote:loads of threads on this..

check your seal on the back of the light bet you have pinched it letting in more water.

my dealer advised me to run the car with the back off and lights on a long journey (dont leave the car standing and running or you will melt the lights)...

still had some in after though I could reach it with a tissue :D

some people have had luck with hairdryers...

I bought and fitted a new back cover with a new seal and no problems since :D
good advice! cheers :) I'll give those a go and if it doesn't work, I'll buy the new cover.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:05 pm

You have almost certainly disturbed the now ageing seal by removing it at least twice. Combined with very cold weather tends to cause condensation to appear on the lenses anyway.
Replace the rear cover and all will be fine. There's no other point it can 'leak' at.

One of my indicators fogged for an hour yesterday at the breakfast meet simply by taking it out of a warm garage and parking it in a cold damp spot for a couple of hours. First bit to cool is of course the lens cover.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

AJZ4London

Post by AJZ4London » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Bulb out, hairdryer on, 5 mins and it will have gone (I am poetic).

You will probably need to get a new seal, I did but it is not fixed :thumbsup:
3.0i 54plate, Black Sapphire, Black Leather, Prof SatNav, 18" Ellipsoids.

yammyfan

Post by yammyfan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi, where can i get a new back or seal from?

Thanks

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Main delaer is your best bet, not worth messing around with 2nd hand stuff that might not seal properly.

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:07 pm

I had this problem and used some sponge attached to an old coat hanger and got most of the water out. Then I used the hairdryer for about 20 mins!

Used new seals from BMW and no problems since and did this back in Feb!
2004 BMW Z4 2.2i SE - Bright Red - Black Leather - Clear Brake Lights - Xenon Lights - Black Kidney Grills - Red Brake Calipers - Front Parking Sensors - 19" Redline LM Wheels - BMW Aero Spoiler - Eibach Pro Kit - Longlife Quad Exhaust System

gookah

Post by gookah » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:15 pm

The headlamp molding puts a groove in the seal over time, and they don't sit in exactly the same place after refitting causing the leak.. rainwater travels over the top of the headlight when you are driving which runs down the back straight into the headlight passed the leaking seal.
The seals are not available on their own, you have to buy them complete with the back plate too, why, I don't know, who ever needs a new backplate?
Dealer quoted me £20 each, so I bought a tube of silicon, went round the seal with it and now OK.
Silicon does not set, so easy to remove later :thumbsup:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:37 am

gookah wrote:The headlamp molding puts a groove in the seal over time, and they don't sit in exactly the same place after refitting causing the leak.. rainwater travels over the top of the headlight when you are driving which runs down the back straight into the headlight passed the leaking seal.
The seals are not available on their own, you have to buy them complete with the back plate too, why, I don't know, who ever needs a new backplate?
Dealer quoted me £20 each, so I bought a tube of silicon, went round the seal with it and now OK.
Silicon does not set, so easy to remove later :thumbsup:
That's all good advice - except about silicone not setting. You'd need to qualify if you refer to a specific type, but the generally available DIY and automotive is also one of the strongest adhesives you'll find.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

gookah

Post by gookah » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:06 am

says on the tube. non setting. make sure you get this type, Silicon waterproof sealant (automotive),

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:16 am

gookah wrote:says on the tube. non setting. make sure you get this type, Silicon waterproof sealant (automotive),
:thumbsup:

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:18 am

Had the same issue a few months back. Bought a new rear headlight cover for about a tenner, took the old one off and gave the car a run during a nice hot day. Then let it stand pointing at the sun for a couple of hours before putting the new rear cover on and replacing the inner arch cover. Cleared it up lovely.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0