Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How important are winter wheels and tyres ?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ferrelscent

How important are winter wheels and tyres ?

Post by ferrelscent » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:54 pm

I have not driven a Z4 in winter, nor any other rear wheel drive car for that matter.

I'm on Elipsoids with Run flats right now. How worried should I be about wrapping it around a tree in winter ? Could I just alter my driving style for a few months ?

The question is a little bit academic, ..I have no room in my flat to store spare wheels.

chrismann85

Re: How important are winter wheels and tyres ?

Post by chrismann85 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Just do what I'm planning on doing, driving as carefully as I can :P

Maintain constant speed around corners and leave huge stopping distances.
Chris

05MY 2.0l Z4 - ToledoBlue/Oregon Leather, Ellipsiod 107s with Falken 452s, DICE, ZHP Gear Knob... no stubby!

WANTED: Sport seats, audio upgrades, MFSW... PM me

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:10 pm

ferrelscent wrote:I have not driven a Z4 in winter, nor any other rear wheel drive car for that matter.

I'm on Elipsoids with Run flats right now. How worried should I be about wrapping it around a tree in winter ? Could I just alter my driving style for a few months ?

The question is a little bit academic, ..I have no room in my flat to store spare wheels.
Driving with summer tires in the winter is asking for trouble ... take my word for it.

If you are planning to keep the car for some years I would recommend to get yourself a set of winter tires on wheels. You can always store the set at a friend or at BMW, most dealers have that system to store a customers wheels (at least here in Canada). Your best bet would be to check for a used set on the Internet, when people sell there cars they often sell the winter set separate.

Have a look at some of the video clips here (all season tires verses snow tires) that will give you a general idea.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Tir ... Tire+Video

Good Luck
2012 M3 with all options. My Last Car was a 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i
Have a Great Day! ............... Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Winter ("cold weather" is a better name) tyres outperform regular/summer tyres at temperature below 7degC. I found that out after researching online.

Considering the temperature rarely exceeds that in Scotland from start-Nov through to the end-March, they're looking like a no-brainer for me. Npt tried them yet, but I'll be running cold-weather tyres this winter for sure.

The only negative is that my Z4 will look like it's on pram wheels for a few months LOL:

::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Rolf-Dieter, You're in Canada... it's no where near as bad in London.

I'm also in London and had the car this winter gone. That was one of the worst winters we had and I was running on normal tyres.

Just drive slowly and with much more caution and if you have the option of another car then use that.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:48 pm

...and I'm in Scotland (Falkirk) which is very different to London. I'm not even remote Scotland (I'm slap bang between Glasgow and Edinburgh) and still get very bad snow. Possibly something to do with my house being at an altitude of 160m above sea level though :roll:.

It's more the cold temp performance that interests me: "cold weather" tyres are a different rubber compound and should work better than regular tyres for a large part of the year up here in Scotland (but not so much London perhaps).
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:55 pm

EVO mag ran a comparison with one of their longtermers and a borrowed Jag XF on track last year...

the winter tyred car was FAR better and they then ran the long termer on winter tyres for the season. Speaks for itself really. I will fish around and see if it is on their website.

me, I have the use of mrs gannets car which isnt terribly powerful and we coped last year and dont have the spare cash this year to do anything else.

edit: found it - EVO Winter Tyre test
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:12 pm

i drove mine with stock RFT's last winter in 2+ inc of snow... not ideal but do able.. bit embarrasing getting overtaken by 1.0L FWD chav motors though :oops:

Lucy

Post by Lucy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:14 pm

aquazi wrote:i drove mine with stock RFT's last winter in 2+ inc of snow... not ideal but do able.. bit embarrasing getting overtaken by 1.0L FWD chav motors though :oops:
+1 :rofl:

When I managed to get it off the drive anyway...

m44rrt

Post by m44rrt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:15 pm

If you can do it - then it makes sense
If not - take care

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:24 pm

where do you buy your winter tyres from? I emailed blackcircles.com but they dont stock them

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:38 pm

ranski wrote:where do you buy your winter tyres from? I emailed blackcircles.com but they dont stock them
camskill.co.uk is a good site.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:53 pm

I think the answer to this all depends on which part of the country, how critical is driving the Zed every day and can you afford a second set of wheels and tyres for the Winter season and then store them the rest of the year??

I've driven the last 3 Winters in the Midlands and aside getting stuck for a moment or 2 and having some exciting moments (mainly self induced) then it's not an issue.

If I changed my reason is more to do with kerb protection of valuable 108's, corrosion and potholes being better handled on 17's.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi Phil, i was reading that summer tyres wear/break down much faster in -8c temperatures?

If i can get a cheap set of winters im quite keen to put them on my 2nd hand ellipsodes, also to prevent salt corrosion on my new ones

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:17 pm

ranski wrote:Hi Phil, i was reading that summer tyres wear/break down much faster in -8c temperatures?

If i can get a cheap set of winters im quite keen to put them on my 2nd hand ellipsodes, also to prevent salt corrosion on my new ones
I'm sure that's spot on.
Not going to trawl the web weather but I reckon the temperature where we live probably didn't drop below -8c more than a few nights last year. For sure we had a few cold months, but not many times where it dropped that low. Even then my car is usually garaged at night.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills