Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Changing tyres - notifying insurance company

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
B-Rex

Changing tyres - notifying insurance company

Post by B-Rex » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:52 pm

I've just had FK452s fitted to my 07 coupe. I started wondering about whether I need to notify my insurance company, and whether or not this counts as a non-standard mod.

So, I consulted the handbook. This is taken from the 2007 Z4 handbook online edition, which I found through Google, so I'm not 100% sure it matches the printed copy I have in my glove box.

Bits of note:
BMW recommends using only wheels and tires that have been approved by BMW for your particular vehicle model, otherwise body contact and serious accidents can result despite the use of the same nominal size, e.g. due to manufacturing tolerances. If nonapproved wheels and tires are used, BMW cannot evaluate their suitability, and therefore cannot be held liable for driving safety
When mounting new tires or changing over from summer to winter tires and vice versa,
mount Run-Flat Tires for your own safety. In the event of a flat, moreover, no spare wheel is
available. Your BMW BMW center will be glad to provide you with more information.
My interpretation of this would be that fitting any non-RFT to a non-M car is a non-approved modification, and would therefore count as a modification for the insurance company.

Anyway, the point of this thread is that I'm interested in finding out how other people have approached this issue. Has anyone here actually notified their insurers that they are running on non-standard tyres? What was the result? Equally, has anyone asked BMW specifically about FK452s?

Cheers in advance.

edit: I did have a search to see if I could find a similar thread, but a search for "tyres insurance" in thread titles came up with nothing... sorry if this is a repeat thread.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Changing tyres - notifying insurance company

Post by AlanJ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:59 pm

There is lots on this, try a search for 'Tyres' and then on the results search again for 'Insurance'. Notified my insurance company (Aviva) and comment was as long as they are appropriate size and construction no issue. My view is that it's a mod and the potential for insurance company issue in the event (hopefully not) of involvement in a serious road collision is, in my opinion, just not worth it.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:59 pm

This has been covered many times before.

Basically you have to notify your insurance company as your quite right this is a non-standard modification, which will most likely incur a small premium (most of the time its just the admin charge to change your policy) Also some insurance companies may not even allow you to do this.

BMW will not fit any non RFT to a RFT rim.. neither will the likes of Cosco... as the RFT rims are designed for RFT tyres - which is the standard response i got from them!

B-Rex

Post by B-Rex » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks guys. I will have a look for more in-depth information. I didn't realize you could search within a search like that.

I am with Admiral, so fingers crossed they are cool with it and will only charge the small premium.

richtea78

Post by richtea78 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:04 pm

I asked Admiral about this and they told me that they would need to know if it was non RFT but wouldnt charge other than the admin charge. However I then found out that the fitters dont like fitting non RFTs to the RFT wheels because of something to do with thicker beads (which might or might not be bullshit) so I looked at the Michelin run flats which several people have talked about here and as they are BMW approved Admiral didnt care.

I guess the safest option is always to check as it could invalidate your insurance if its wrong!

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Just one more thing - if you notify the insurance company and all is OK then try and get it in writing OR note the date time person who you spoke to - just in case......
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

malibudave

Post by malibudave » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Bmw also recommend putting 98RON into your car, do I have to notify my insurance company if I put 95 in? Where does it end, I hate insurance companies!!

Sorry rant over, its been a bad Monday!
3.0Si Coupe in Blue with 19" BBS Reps +Stubby

B-Rex

Post by B-Rex » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:08 pm

I did a search for "tyres", then for "insurance", and then again for "Admiral", and got all excited when I saw there was a hit at the top for a thread called "Changing tyres - notifying insurance company", and a poster in there was saying he was with Admiral....

Doh :lol:

B-Rex

Post by B-Rex » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Just spoke to Admiral, the CS rep I spoke to didn't even bother to take my policy number, he said it was fine and as far as they were concerned I could use whatever tyres I wanted as long as they were the appropriate size. They considered it a mod if they were lower profile, performance tyres, etc, but he said changing from RFT to non-RFT was fine. He even went to check with the underwriting group. I have made diligent notes of the conversation :)

Thanks for the advice guys. :thumbsup:

nicko

Post by nicko » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:41 pm

richtea78 wrote: However I then found out that the fitters dont like fitting non RFTs to the RFT wheels because of something to do with thicker beads (which might or might not be bullshit)
ATS just checked with me that I knew I was asking them to put non-RFTs on (when I got my winter tyres)
I found the service quite good at my local ATS
56 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport, Montego Blue, Champagne Leather, 135Ms, ZHP

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:53 pm

aquazi wrote: BMW will not fit any non RFT to a RFT rim.
On my previous Z 3.0, I ordered 107 wheels and PZero Nero tyres and they (BMW) fitted it for me. As they fitted it, and invoiced me, I did not declare it to the insurance company as it was performed by BMW so in my mind, a valid normal tyre replacement.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:50 pm

richtea78 wrote:I asked Admiral about this and they told me that they would need to know if it was non RFT but wouldnt charge other than the admin charge. However I then found out that the fitters dont like fitting non RFTs to the RFT wheels because of something to do with thicker beads (which might or might not be bullshit) so I looked at the Michelin run flats which several people have talked about here and as they are BMW approved Admiral didnt care.

I guess the safest option is always to check as it could invalidate your insurance if its wrong!
Complete and utter bullshit indeed. Your average tyre fitter has the IQ of a wheelnut FGS. :o

Wheels designed for RFTs simply have a secondary rim around the inside of the wheel so that the bead of the tyre sits between that and the wheel edge and doesn't come off when it deflates.

Yes the bead is thicker, but of course that just means the thinner bead of a non-RFT fits easily into that slot. So you can fit non-RFTs to an RFT rim but not the other way round.
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

wheelie

Post by wheelie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:58 pm

B-Rex wrote:I did a search for "tyres", then for "insurance", and then again for "Admiral", and got all excited when I saw there was a hit at the top for a thread called "Changing tyres - notifying insurance company", and a poster in there was saying he was with Admiral....

Doh :lol:
lol that was my OP matey and yes I'm with Admiral. I posted the question on their site and aimed it at the underwriters. Happily I received the confirmation that it was not classed as a modification and I was ok to proceed with a suitable replacement.

Don't go via the customer services team in India they are simply beyond inept.

Word to the wise however .... keep this confirmation printed out and attached to the insurance documentation just in case there is an "issue" and you need to pull out this "get out of jail free card" :D

I simply don't trust insurance companies as far as I could kick them.

Pete
2006 Z4 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey
M sport suspension
M sport red leather seats
M steering wheel
Sport pack
18" 108 star alloys