Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitted Dipped Beam HID replacements

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
nfarmer

Fitted Dipped Beam HID replacements

Post by nfarmer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:07 am

Well I went ahead yesterday and fitted HIDs to replace my dip beams. They were these http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h7-canbus- ... 35w-kit-1/

Luckily I had a spare headlight unit so I could find the best place for the ballast.

Decided to attach the ballast using the double sided sticky pads supplied to the vertical side closest to the radiator.

New fittiing clips were supplied with the kit

But decided to reuse the originals by filling out the centre of the clips to accommodate the new wiring/connectors

By reusing the originals I will be able to revert to using H7s easily either for the MOT or if I have a bulb out at the side of the road.

Work in progress

First side took about three hours while I figured out where to fit the ballasts and then worked out how but the second side no more than 45 minutes.

Will add some after dark shots later

Later
Last edited by nfarmer on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danmiddle2

Re: Fitted Dipped Beam HID replacements

Post by danmiddle2 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:28 am

Looks good - I fitted aftermarket HID's to my old Saab 9-3. A welcome addition at night!

Are you going to / have you fitted LED foglights to match?

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:42 am

Yep foglights already done as are the sidelights, so just main beams left
Last edited by nfarmer on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:17 am

Nice write up, they look great :thumbsup:
70 plate Z4 M40i - Alphine White, Magma Red trim plus all the toys and an OAP behind the wheel :D
Gone 62 Z4 35is sDrive Auto in white with 169K miles

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:30 pm

Bump

Leesfarm07

Post by Leesfarm07 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 pm

I've got a set of hid direct supplied xenons to go in. Did you keep the ballasts outside the lamp unit then?
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Leesfarm07 wrote:I've got a set of hid direct supplied xenons to go in. Did you keep the ballasts outside the lamp unit then?
No I put them inside against the side wall on the radiator side, see the 4th picture. So all the wiring is within the the unit no need for big holes.

Leesfarm07

Post by Leesfarm07 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:58 pm

nfarmer wrote:
Leesfarm07 wrote:I've got a set of hid direct supplied xenons to go in. Did you keep the ballasts outside the lamp unit then?
No I put them inside against the side wall on the radiator side, see the 4th picture. So all the wiring is within the the unit no need for big holes.
Ah I see...I was reading post on iphone but now on desktop I can see the pictures clearer now thank you :thumbsup: I must get round to fitting mine the standard halogens are like candles at night :thumbsdown:
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

pauljb1

Post by pauljb1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Nice work nfarmer

Did the new hid simply fit into the current headlight clip or did u need I mod it.

What lights have u used for the side lights and fog lights? I was looking at gettin the 3w Cree led light to replace the smd led lights I have to get a brighter light u can also get a 7w version but it won't fit. Was also looking to get either 50w Cree led fig light or hid kit.

Oh and did u have to change the lens in the lights? There was a previous post where the guy swapped out a ribbed for a plain lens as the lights didn't project properly or something? Any comments?

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 am

pauljb1 wrote: Did the new hid simply fit into the current headlight clip or did u need I mod it.
Almost, looking at the replacement clips (picture 6) didnt quite easily fit the reflector but it has a slot to allow the wires to fit. The existing clip, removed from the plastic wiring connector, dosent have the slot but would obviously be the best fit. All I had to do was to removed a little section with a round file (picture 7) to allow the larger of the two connectors through
pauljb1 wrote:What lights have u used for the side lights and fog lights?
For the Fog Lights I used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOG-LIGHT-Bul ... 3a7960adc5 for the side lights http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1-3-5-7-S ... 3f24c32bda
pauljb1 wrote:Oh and did u have to change the lens in the lights? There was a previous post where the guy swapped out a ribbed for a plain lens as the lights didn't project properly or something? Any comments?
No, I would have preferred to but couldn't find any of the plain lenses, but I think he was the only person to change the lens. Simple job to change if the headlight unit is out of the car but very fiddly if it is still installed

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:45 am

Do your bulbs flicker at all? I bought some from ebay and one keeps flickering. It's only noticeable when parked up behind another car or on a garage door.

Also, what temperature are they? Look nice and white.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:53 am

ben g wrote:Do your bulbs flicker at all? I bought some from ebay and one keeps flickering. It's only noticeable when parked up behind another car or on a garage door.
Not noticed any flickering as yet, i would have thought that if only one flickers theres a problem with bulb or ballast, why not swap the bulbs over and see if the flickers moves. If it does then i think you need to get a bulb replaced if not maybe the ballast is at fault
ben g wrote:Also, what temperature are they? Look nice and white.
They are 6000k, I didnt want the blue lights so often seen on lowered Clios!!

I have just ordered these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370878041556? ... 1439.l2649 to see if they are suitable for main beam replacement, will report back

Norman

Tommy_hf

Post by Tommy_hf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:05 pm

If ppl are interested I still have some sets of H7 hid kits which were left over after I quit the business(even the business was just hobby back then) of selling sets. I've been using them in my 5-series, no probs with them in that car. I think I still have some 4100k's and 6000k's left.

scottyladjones

Post by scottyladjones » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:54 pm

been toy'ing with this idea just for the dark winter, the hid kits are cheap enough now for me to warrant buying one just for the winter before i probably sell the zed early next year just before the nice weather hits!
maybe interested in a kit, i shall let you know!

Tommy_hf

Post by Tommy_hf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Great :-)