Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel refurb adding value to car?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
coriolis

Wheel refurb adding value to car?

Post by coriolis » Sat May 30, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi everyone

My 2003 3.0 will be up for sale soon and i just wanted to know what your opinions are on how much value refurbed wheels add to the car?

They really do let it down, especially as the rest of the car is excellent. But is it worth the cost compared to what ill get back?

I will most likely get them done either way, but just wondered what your thoughts/experiences are?

Thanks

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Wheel refurb adding value to car?

Post by Lynchy » Sat May 30, 2015 7:03 pm

What Jonny said.

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Sat May 30, 2015 7:08 pm

Well that makes sense. I never expected to re coup the cost of the refurb, but I guess if it ups the appeal, its probably worth it.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat May 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Personally I'd not refurb them and discount slightly at the point of sale given the car is only worth £6k

Refurb is going to cost you around £400, so if someone likes the car just knock £400 off when negotiating. If you refurb it they'll just find something else and want a discount.

On the other hand if you're keeping the car or can get them done at a really good price then for sure - go ahead.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat May 30, 2015 8:03 pm

What wheels have you currently?
It may be easier,quicker,cheaper to buy a half decent used set with tyres on & peddle your current ones
Many alternatives but wheels can make or break a car & certainly aid or hinder a sale
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Sat May 30, 2015 8:15 pm

They are the original elipse wheels. I was wondering about those places you trade in old wheels for newly refurbed ones if anyone knows of such a place?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat May 30, 2015 8:52 pm

i paid around £200 for my ellipsoids to be refurbed, agree with mr wilks comments-it makes a big difference to peoples perception of a car :thumbsup:

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

JZ4

Post by JZ4 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:34 am

Smartbear wrote:i paid around £200 for my ellipsoids to be refurbed, agree with mr wilks comments-it makes a big difference to peoples perception of a car :thumbsup:
Hi,

Mine need doing too, where did you have them dine and do you have any pictures?

I work in Milton Keynes and heard there was a good place there

Thanks

John
2004 3.0se manual in Sterling Silver, 61k, Nav, DSP, Cruise, PDC, Elipsoids

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Sun May 31, 2015 10:42 am

£200 for a dip and powder coat is also what I paid for my wheels.

Probably worth having done to, as said before, increase appeal.

Havard

Post by Havard » Sun May 31, 2015 10:51 am

I would always get the car as mint as possible as long as it wasn't over the top. As said, wheels made a car and you are far more likely to get a sale with them already done. It also takes away the aggro of the buyer having them done and possibly being off the road. This can be used as a selling point to hold your asking price.

If I am buying a car, I would be looking at the sale price and then knocking off the things that I would personally want to see fixed. If the seller doesn't see it that way, I will move on. Also if the car is a bargain, I may be less likely to ask for things to be done, although everyone wants a bargain...!! :D

H.
ImageImage

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun May 31, 2015 2:29 pm

Just remember garages never repair, replace or refurb anything before selling. Polish and clean of course.
The more they spend the more the margin is cut and the buyer just asks for more discounts, tyres, servicing, etc. we all like discounts. Private sale is the same.

We're all perfectionist here and miss the maximising value element.

Try and sell it as is and see what happens. Nothing to lose, but if you really can get it done for £200 all in then perhaps the maths works.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun May 31, 2015 3:55 pm

My freshly coated wheels, got them done at a place near Raleigh-Southend
Powder coatings essex I think it's called

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

gov

Post by gov » Sun May 31, 2015 4:21 pm

Agree with all the comments - when I bought my zed the one thing that spoilt the overall effect were the wheels - as the car was mint everywhere else and low mileage I negotiated some cash reduction to compensate - was a bit of a pain though to get them done - as they are 108's I had them done one at a time over a couple of weeks - I didn't want to leave the car in the paintshop and the rims had to be removed on each wheel to do the job properly - I did pay cash - worked out about £250 in total but made the car even more stunning.

For a relatively small outlay I think it's worth doing before you put it up for sale,